Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pernell whitaker is the greatest defensive boxer not floyd.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
    What active fighter does Benton remind you of?

His style looks very familiar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xercen View Post
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjTHLPmfBCQ

Check this video out. My mate showed it to me..this guy was before my time but wow i am stunned by his reflexes....watch him dodge 10 punches vs a prime oscar dela hoya...the old version gave floyd a lot of trouble.

Also floyd did well..but hey he looks much better beating an old man than a young one that's for sure.

Pernell is the man...his reflexes are insane
      I LIKE SWEETPEA AND FEEL HE GOT ROBBED IN THAT FIGHT (w/ delahoya), BUT IF I am not mistaking after the fight they had him and delahoya come on that show on hbo back in the day and talk about the fight, sweet pea had a black eye. Floyd has never had a black eye. But I like them both equally.

but if I could be a fighter or I had to pick a fighter to have skillset, I would pick FLOYD.

Now SWEETPEA IS A VERY CLOSE SECOND IF NOT EQUAL WITH HIM.

Comment

• Originally posted by EDOMITESLAYER View Post
        I LIKE SWEETPEA AND FEEL HE GOT ROBBED IN THAT FIGHT (w/ delahoya), BUT IF I am not mistaking after the fight they had him and delahoya come on that show on hbo back in the day and talk about the fight, sweet pea had a black eye. Floyd has never had a black eye. But I like them both equally.

but if I could be a fighter or I had to pick a fighter to have skillset, I would pick FLOYD.

Now SWEETPEA IS A VERY CLOSE SECOND IF NOT EQUAL WITH HIM.
        Didn't Floyd suffer a broken nose once? I might be wrong but I know he was leaking against Augustus.

And, lets be real that was a passed prime Whitaker against a prime Oscar. And, I had Whitaker winning that fight.

Now for you second point. I know I am in the minority in this one. But, I could have a fighter skillset. Especially from the modern era. It would be Ricardo Lopez. I just love his style, his skills. I just thought he was a perfect fighter. Too bad he was so small...

Comment

• u cant compare whitaker with Floyd!

Whitaker may have been great but he never took the blood test like Floyd did.

Floyd has proven to be clean.

Comment

• see this is the thing, guys like ts have there opinion, and I'm sure that in sweet pea's day someone said the same about pep.

its all about opinion, now, its clear that pea is one of floyd's idols ( i think he mentioned pea and aaron pryor as his heroes growing up) and as much as i admire pea, he didn't have the speed floyd has. so i gotta go with floyd on this one.

pep, pea, and may are cut from the same cloth though.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
              What active fighter does Benton remind you of?

His style looks very familiar.

I had heard before that he fought like Whitaker during the time that he trained Pernell. But looking at the video he looks more like Mayweather today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Calilloyd View Post
                I had heard before that he fought like Whitaker during the time that he trained Pernell. But looking at the video he looks more like Mayweather today.
                Yea he looked like Floyd in that video.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fanny Packiao View Post
                  where was this great defense against Oscar?

De La Hoya landed 146 of 363 power shots to Whitaker's 72 of 192.

And what about the rest of the fight, what about total punches, nice way to just put in power shots.

Pernell won that fight it was close but definite win for sweet pea. The reason oscar won is the crowd went ape-**** whenever oscar farted, let alone punched.

Pernell was a greater all round fighter, he threw combinations, countered well (not as much as flyod) wasn't afraid to get in there and could finish well.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
                    Didn't Floyd suffer a broken nose once? I might be wrong but I know he was leaking against Augustus.

And, lets be real that was a passed prime Whitaker against a prime Oscar. And, I had Whitaker winning that fight.

Now for you second point. I know I am in the minority in this one. But, I could have a fighter skillset. Especially from the modern era. It would be Ricardo Lopez. I just love his style, his skills. I just thought he was a perfect fighter. Too bad he was so small...

prime marquez reminds me of the little dude...

Comment

• thats a respectable opinion

Comment

Working...
                      X