No announcement yet.

GGG to ESPN is the obvious play

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clubber Pac View Post
    GGG to ESPN is a no brainer for everyone involved.

GGG can use the ESPN hype machine to sell his since revoked bogey man status, together, he and Arum can pick and choose opponents, and extend GGG's career while fighting in front of a huge audience every time out.

GGG can help ESPN/Top Rank launch the eventual PPV platform, all they need is a faded big name, which could be a financial boon for ESPN.

GGG going to Showtime would be the end of his career in brutal fashion, way to much young talent for him to take such a risk, he just got his butt kicked, no need to suffer a worse fate at the hands of Charlo, or Hurd, or anyone of those young monsters.

DAZN is out, they dont have a stable, they are years away from being major players, the entire network is predicated upon the success of a chinny heavyweight champion that struggles with old men, and ducks serious challengers, it's a very fluid situation, not the type of security a boxing geezer like GGG needs.

I am willing to bet on it, GGG to ESPN
    GGG should sign with Showtime. Charlo went to war with Martirosyan and got a gift. GGG would smash him like a butter pumpkin.

1. brutalize Hurd in a tune-up
    2. school the Charlo twins
    3. turn Spence into a train wrack
    4. retire

That should be the plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      I think that Murata fight in Japan alone makes GGG to ESPN the most obvious guess on where HBO guys end up.

I think there is a lot of sh^t up in the air doe so I wouldn't be shocked if GGG lands on DAZN or some new entity or if HBO even makes a deal for a third PPV fight cuz HBO didn't entirely shut the door on boxing if its a big enough PPV fight. Although they didn't specifically mention GGG vs Canelo III in their example which might be a sign they aren't looking to do anything like that anytime soon idk.
      If I were GGG I would either follow Canelo to whichever network he goes to or sign non-exclusive deals with different networks so that he can pursue the 3rd fight if it becomes an option.

If I were to align with anyone in particular it would be with PBC/showtime since they have the deepest stable of guys at 154-168. (Lara, the Charlo's, Hurd, DeGeale, Sergei D, Peter Quillin, Austin Trout etc.)

Unless another promoter like Golden Boy signs with ESPN there isn't much more than can crushing that will be going on for GGG if he signs an exclusive deal there. Sure, Murata would be available but Bob Arum would want them to have 3 fights with other guys on the same card so that the fight would have had time to marinate. Murata isn't a good enough opponent to justify that.

Comment

That fight would be a pure money grab, it would have to zero to do with glory, I am not sure GGG has to gain beyond a decent financial package.

If the Japanese put up like $25 million for the fight, and GGG gets an 80/20 split plus gate and TV money, it's worth it, if not, GGG should negotiate matchmaking rights with ESPN, and fight a more high profile opponent.
        Murata has a title and is a top 10 MW. As a stopgap to a 3rd Canelo fight, I think it's fine.

Comment

GGG ducking charlo if he does not go to PBC. Same as Canelo.

Comment

ESPN were dick riding hard after the fight so makes sense

Comment

Tldr op thinks Golovkin will duck charlo.
              ESPN doesn't have a stable, although Murata is very interesting.

Comment

I think he retires.

He just made in excess of $50 million for his 2 fights with Canelo. Is it really feasible for a 36 or 37 year old fighter to go through another training camp to make what 4 or 5 million? Maybe he could get more for Murata but I would not be surprised one bit if he says "peace out"

Comment

Originally posted by Raonic View Post
                  Murata has a title and is a top 10 MW. As a stopgap to a 3rd Canelo fight, I think it's fine.
                  You call what he has a title? you actually would call him the WBA champion over Canelo, you can't be serious.

Your trippin

Comment

You call what he has a title? you actually would call him the WBA champion over Canelo, you can't be serious.

Your trippin
                    I don't like it but it's considered a title. At the very least, beating Murata would help get rid of the title once he fights Canelo again next fight.

Comment

ESPN doe!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X