I'm not too excited about the next generation of boxers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not too excited about the next generation of boxers

Anybody else feel this way?

First off, this isn't one of those "boxing is dead" threads. So if you came here looking for that, you can click "back" right about.....now.

Alright, onto the thread.

I'm simply not excited about any of these new guys who are supposed to be the next generation of good boxers. Please tell me I'm not alone in this.

None of them grab me, they all seem to be a bunch of very rusty, very easy to figure out kids who don't have any love for the sport. I think half of them will end up getting destroyed by pretty much any top 10 fighter in their division right now.

Boxing seemed so much better when I started watching it in '95. We had all kinds of talent, everywhere. From '95-'05 we had guys like Jones, Hopkins, Toney, Mayweather, Barrera, Morales, Pacquiao, Marquez, Lewis, Holyfield, De La Hoya, Whitaker, Trinidad, Lopez, etc, etc, etc....

These guys dominated everybody in sight.

I look at this new crop of guys who are supposed to be their replacements in the future......Guys like Andre Berto, Robert Guerrero, Juan Manuel Lopez, Juan Diaz, etc.... And I feel.....nothing.

They're alright kids, and I'll watch them fight no doubt, but I don't connect with any of them, the way I did so many guys throughout the 90's.

I can't see myself ever cheering for one of them the way I cheered that night I lept out of my recliner when Hopkins knocked out Trinidad, or the way I screamed at the Television in support of Barrera the night he fought Morales the first time, or the way I've turned down sex for a Roy Jones or Pernell whitaker fight.

I just can't ever see myself connecting with any of these kids.

I know they're young yet, and I know that all legends are made the same way.

But I just don't connect to any of these kids.

Does anybody else get what I'm trying to say here?

I pretty excited about all the new Cuban fighters (Gamboa, et al). I love watching James Kirkland but honestly he is a pretty simple fighter that would probably get schooled by a seasoned vet...

Comment

Bringer, I know exactly what you mean.

My favorite fighters RJJ, B-Hop, Ali, JT, Mike Tyson.....are all done basically. I mean Roy still his thing, but hes going to be done soon. JT is still out there, but hes done. B-Hop is probably only going to fight one more time. Ali and Tyson are done obviously....its tough.

The only new fighters I like is Andre Ward, and hasn't really done anything yet. And he ain't no Roy Jones.

Even Chad Dawson, I like him. But hes not Roy Jones or B-Hop. Those guys had charisma.....it sucks people have to get old. lol

Comment

My take on this is more like, I feel all these new guys are only in it for the money. The quick paycheck and then they bounce before getting hurt. They don't give a **** about legacy or what people say years from now. These guys got like 10-15 wins under their belt and they want the top dawgs of the division already. It's sickening actually. Whatever happened to working your way up and actually gaining ring experience? I know some of them have a lot of amatuer background, but that doesn't always equal to having professional ring experience once those gears are off.

Comment

Why don't you try going to Europe to get your fix of 'Top Prospect' boxers coming into the game?

Some very good talent is coming through the ranks over here, especially in the UK. I was worried about the state of boxing here when the Calzaghe/Hatton era finally finishes but we have guys like Kell Brook who i think is going to become the first Brit to top the P4P rankings. Things are looking up.

BTW, Kell Brook beats Berto anytime, right now.

Comment

I agree, but I think Tim Bradley, Victor Ortiz, Juan Manuel Lopez, and maybe even Abner Mares have great potential.

Comment

It's hard to see an ATG amongst the new crop, in the vain of a RJJ, Floyd or Hopkins.

Still, I think they're pretty exciting - I love watching Kirkland, Gamboa, Juanma fight.

Ortiz, Linares and Dawson look the most accomplished to me. Someone will probably emerge from the crop to be a truly top fighter. Maybe a couple of them.

Someone bump this thread in 7 years time.

Comment

Oh ya as far as exciting new comers that I'm looking forward to. Gamboa, Lopez, Valero, and Kirkland are some I think of off top of my head at the moment.

Comment

I think is just that we arre living in a different culture.

But a bunch of this guys, brings a lot of excitement.

I think was happening with you is that all your favorite fighter are retire or are soon to be and you were more of a fan of them than the actuall sport(no Offense).

Somebody will catch your eye again!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

i gota agree with you.up and coming talent isnt anything 2 get that excited about.and the big prospects at the moment arent exactly young anyway.compared 2 ten years ago,america is looking thin on the ground

Comment

Working...
                    X