Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So the murder rate has dropped <3% in the UK since the 1997 hangun ban.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So the murder rate has dropped <3% in the UK since the 1997 hangun ban.

Piers Morgan (I can't post in Cupocity's thread because I forgot to use lube) loves to compare the gun murder rate between our two countries, but tends to avoid comparison between the (much much closer) overall murder rates.

Since 1997, the murder rate in the U.K. has declined from 1.18 to 1.15 murders per 100,000 population. In the U.S. during the same period, the murder rate dropped from 6.8 to 4.7 – a fall of more than two murders per 100,000 population, or nearly 30 percent.

http://www.humanevents.com/2013/01/1...n-for-america/

Yes the UK has a lower murder rate (they always have, for a multitude of reasons.) But there certainly doesn't seem to have been any noticeable reduction since the handgun ban. Meanwhile the murder rate has dropped almost 15% (in half the time) since the expiration of our assault weapons (and high capacity magazines) ban.

Last edited by Jim Jeffries; 01-13-2013, 10:22 PM.

Murder rates are dropping everywhere in the State because people are just too damn lazy.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
        (I can't post in Cupocity's thread because I forgot to use lube)
        That's the line of the new year :hahahaha9:

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
          Piers Morgan (I can't post in Cupocity's thread because I forgot to use lube) loves to compare the gun murder rate between our two countries, but tends to avoid comparison between the (much much closer) overall murder rates.

Since 1997, the murder rate in the U.K. has declined from 1.18 to 1.15 murders per 100,000 population. In the U.S. during the same period, the murder rate dropped from 6.8 to 4.7 – a fall of more than two murders per 100,000 population, or nearly 30 percent.

http://www.humanevents.com/2013/01/1...n-for-america/

Yes the UK has a lower murder rate (they always have, for a multitude of reasons.) But there certainly doesn't seem to have been any noticeable reduction since the handgun ban. Meanwhile the murder rate has dropped almost 15% (in half the time) since the expiration of our assault weapons (and high capacity magazines) ban.

People still kept their guns when the ban happened if my memory is correct. It just meant new people couldn't get guns.

Gun deaths now and murders are decreasing in the last few years. Stats from 2000 onwards show.

2000/1 847
          (of which 72 were caused by a gun / firearm) 764 14.4
          2001/2 854
          (of which 96 were caused by a gun / firearm) 793 15.2
          2002/3 1041
          (of which 80 were caused by a gun / firearm) 942 17.9
          2003/4 852
          (of which 68 were caused by a gun / firearm) 772 14.6
          2004/5 834
          (of which 76 were caused by a gun / firearm) 780 14.7
          2005/6 764
          (of which 49 were caused by a gun / firearm) 708 13.3
          2006/7 749
          (of which 56 were caused by a gun / firearm) 712 13.3
          2007/8 772
          (of which 53 were caused by a gun / firearm) 734 13.6
          2008/9 668
          (of which 39 were caused by a gun / firearm) 640 11.8
          2009/10 626
          (of which 39 were caused by a gun / firearm) 608 11.1
          20010/11 648
          (of which 58 were caused by a gun / firearm) 636 11.5
          1st Jan 2011 to 31st Dec 2011
          provisional figures
          2011/12
          source ONS (release date 19th July 2012) 550
          (of which 39 were caused by a gun / firearm) 9.8
          (population of England and Wales is 56.1 million)

As you can see in England and Wales, murders were at 800+ in 2000 (near 1997, Can't get stats for 1997)

In 2011 it is 564.

The longer the gun ban, the less likely that guns are in circulation.
          Gun murders also decreased from 72, 96, 80

to 39, 58 and 39.

http://www.citizensreportuk.org/repo...olence-uk.html

Comment

I suspect over the next 10 years, as long as guns are hard to get into the UK, the murders will get lower. It has already halved in 12 years or so.

Comment

I also think we need to be more specific in what the debate is here. We are not saying murders won't happen, that cannot be avoided. People will use anything to kill, whether it be a gun or not.

The issue is whether American citizens should have weapons like semi automatic military assault rifles that have been primarily used in these specific mass killings.

Crime going down has more to do with economic issues, than the sell of weapons. The top 10 states that have the highest crimes, 8 of them are states that have the most lax gun laws. So this theory of "guns make us safer" is bull****. The U.S has more guns per capita than any other country in the modernized world and we have one of the highest crimes rates in the world.

The main reason given is that we are protecting ourselves from the govt which is just total nonsense and fear mongering.

The real reason is because gun manufacturers want to keep making billions and they don't give a fuk who dies. You can still defend yourself, go to the range, have your substitute for a small penis....all that and not need AR15's and guns like them.
              Last edited by Cuauhtémoc1520; 01-14-2013, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Here is the Situation in Canada. It will tell you why gun control does not work. In fact it is having an opposite effect

http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/...4-87a6dc839460

Comment

i smell bull**** on cuah's state/gun/crime stat.

either just wrong numbers or funny business calculation.

some of the highest crime rates are in l.a., baltimore, chicago, d.c., etc.

some of the strictest gun laws in the country.

Comment

and enough about the stupid ASSAULT weapons talk.

they're used in less than 1% of crimes.

you guys watch too much movies.

Comment

Working...
                    X