Francisco Rodriguez dies after fight at Blue Horizon

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Francisco Rodriguez dies after fight at Blue Horizon

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/top_...e_Horizon.html

The 25-year-old Rodriguez, a native of Guadalajara, Mexico, known as "Paco" to friends and family, will never get to share that experience. Rodriguez was removed from life support at around 8:30 last night, according to his older brother and manager, Alex.

Rodriguez was injured during a 10th-round knockout loss to North Philly's Teon Kennedy on Friday night in a matchup for the vacant USBA super bantamweight championship.

A minute or so after Rodriguez (14-3-1, 8 KOs) was helped onto his stool following the stoppage in the scheduled 12-round bout, his body went limp and his breathing became labored. Ring physicians and EMS personnel frantically administered to him before he was removed from the ring on a stretcher and transported to Hahnemann University Hospital, where he underwent emergency surgery to relieve pressure for a brain bleed.

Despite the prompt actions of all concerned, however, Rodriguez was waging a battle that for all intents and purposes was already lost. His condition was listed as "extremely critical" following the operation, and it soon became apparent that his injuries were such that he would never recover. Family members who were initially reluctant to accept that grim prognosis eventually agreed that he should be unplugged from the machine that had helped him to breathe, and shortly thereafter he was gone.

Rodriguez leaves behind his wife, Sonia, and 5-month-old daughter, Ginette, as well as his parents and two brothers. A number of relatives came from Chicago and were at his side to somberly bid him farewell.

His father, Evaristo Rodriguez Sr. and brother Evaristo "Tito" Rodriguez Jr. had been in Francisco's corner at the Blue along with trainer George Hernandez.

His father was a boxer in Mexico and in Chicago, and trained all three of his sons. Tito won a national Golden Gloves championship as a 17-year-old and then retired from the ring.

Francisco was the best of the three. He had a 76-6 record as an amateur, won the 2001 national Golden Gloves title and was a five-time Chicago Golden Gloves champion.

It was the first fatality directly attributed to boxing injuries in Philadelphia in more than 31 years. The most recent had been when Trenton middleweight Jody White died following a fourth-round technical knockout to Curtis Parker on March 21, 1978, at the Blue.

This is terrible news and seems to be occuring far to often in the sport.

RIP.

Francisco Rodriguez did what a lot of tourists do: He headed to the Art Museum for a photo at the Rocky statue. What else would you expect of a professional boxer who, a few days later, would be fighting for a minor title at the Blue Horizon?

"He was happy. He said, 'When I get back to Chicago, I'm going to tell everybody, 'I saw the Rocky statue!' " recalled Benny Baez, a Philly resident and former fighter who had been hired as a temporary addition to Rodriguez' corner team.
    Last edited by Targaryen; 11-23-2009, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Thats just too sad. RIP and I hope his family are looked after.

Comment

Oh men that's so sad news. Our prayers with his family and for his soul. RIP

Comment

I just heard of this kid for the first time on ESPN's FNF and the impact he had on several people that were in need of transplants, a few days later after he died his family donated his organs. His organs saved the lives of 5 people. This story truly brought tears to my eyes.

I recommend you guys to watch it if you haven't: http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/co...ory?id=6382633

Comment

i hope his family is ok. i love this sport but i hate when this happens.

Comment

man thats sad....

Comment

This is really sad, I'll pray for his family today. I hope they find the strength to continue on through this.

Comment

Damn... prayers with that guy and his family.. Truly selfless people.

Comment

Man, I have a tough time believing this is due to the sport itself though. I believe this is due to fighters and their camps not taking care of themselves properly or making too low a weight. Never do you see this happen at the elite level, and look at guys like Paul Wiliams who get knocked out real bad, or Ricky Hatton.

Comment

• Working...
                      X