No announcement yet.

Your advice?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your advice?

Looking through some old The Ring copies, I found a piece on Leo Randolph, an Olympic gold medalist in Montreal 1976 and a WBA super bantam champ in 1980.
    After only 19 pro fights, and 23 years young, he walked out of the ring never to return. The reason was, suffering of headaches the days after his 5th-round loss to Sergio Palma, he realized he was gambling with his future well-being.

Came to think of one of my favorite fighters of today, Mexican fly Hernan "Tyson" Marquez.
    In my opinion, his 11th round TKO of Luis Concepcion was undoubtedly the Fight of the Year 2011 (all rnds available on youtube).

Though, I'm a bit concerned because he has taken a lot of punishment, also in some fights he won, while compiling a 37-5 record (KOs 26, KO by 4).

He's only 25-years-old and, definitely, still one of the toughest out there.
    But - considering the brutal wars he's been through - what would be your advice to him if you were his trainer?
    "Hang 'em up, boy. You've already taken more blows to your head than is healthy"
    or
    "Keep going. You're still capable to win titles" (which he probably is).

Last edited by Ben Bolt; 07-21-2014, 05:53 PM.

Tough from the outside, to say when a fighter should retire..

I like Marquez, and enjoyed a lot of his fights.. I don't know him personally and don't see the after effects of the wars on his health, moods, etc..

I think loved ones and himself are the only ones that can have an appropriate answer..

As a fan, I want to see him keep fighting... I think he is at 115 now, and would love to see roman, Estrada, viloria, come up or catchweight fight with Marquez or him move up vs chemito

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      I like Marquez, and enjoyed a lot of his fights..
      Found this interview with Hernan, from 2012 before his Viloria defeat.
      “I'm thinking maybe by the time I'm 30, I'll retire.”
      http://www.doghouseboxing.com/DHB/Anson_111512.htm

And how amateur boxing looked like in Leo Randolph’s days.
      His Olympic team mate Leon Spinks kayoes Cuba’s KO king Sixto Soria in the lt. heavy Final.
      (I do remember the preview analysis – who’ll be runner-up to Soria?)

There was a time when amateur boxing certainly was worthwhile watching.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
        Found this interview with Hernan, from 2012 before his Viloria defeat.
        “I'm thinking maybe by the time I'm 30, I'll retire.”
        http://www.doghouseboxing.com/DHB/Anson_111512.htm

And how amateur boxing looked like in Leo Randolph’s days.
        His Olympic team mate Leon Spinks kayoes Cuba’s KO king Sixto Soria in the lt. heavy Final.
        (I do remember the preview analysis – who’ll be runner-up to Soria?)

There was a time when amateur boxing certainly was worthwhile watching.

70s was before my time, but I love watching 70s amateur boxing.. It's basically pro caliber fights with shorter duration... My dad put me onto Leonard's bouts in the 76 games.. Just totally different today, where the guys seem so far from a top level pro..of course there will be exceptions like lomachenko, rigo, ggg..

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
          I love watching 70s amateur boxing.. It's basically pro caliber fights with shorter duration...
          And there will always be this debate:

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/inde...g_team_vs.html

Mark Breland is perhaps the best amateur I ever witnessed, but for his 1984 squad to beat the 1976ers … ?

Comment

Working...
          X