Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Jordan Peterson racist? what do black people think of him?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by //// View Post
    I don't know if this is his argument per se, but he is an evolutionary psychologist so you have to place it into context. In evolutionary psychology, everyone is religious (literally) because humans have been proven to be genetically hardwired to possess the unique trait of religiosity unpresent in other species (regardless of their conscious beliefs).

I'm consciously agnostic but I'm human so my brain is still hardwired to make vague wordless pleas to the universe and consider "morality" in an abstract, self-justifying rather than consequentialist context. It's chemically inescapable & probably related to why historically irreligiousity has tended to coincide with societal decline & erratic fertility.

Again I don't know if that's his specific argument, but if it is, it's not a new or fringe one.

EO Wilson (IMO the most important scientist ever born) believed that religiosity is a critical component of human behavioral health regardless of how true or untrue the specific set of beliefs may be. Again via comparing human equivalents to indicators of societal decline in other species (in his case ants colonies)
    There are definitely some oddities about the human brain. The fact that you can make people think that they are in the presence of a divine being simply by zapping a part of their cortex is really interesting.

But I don't think that is what Jordan is getting at. Or at least, if it is, then he isn't good at presenting it that way.

Here's a video of a guy who disagrees with Jordan's takes on religion, and breaks it down.

Of course, that's just a snapshot, and there is always more to the story.

Comment

Wtf is this Peterson guy

Comment

Working...
      X