No announcement yet.

Richard Schaefer explains the risk for fighters to join DAZN

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
    Well I think the sports americans go for are obvious. NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, MLS, College football etc etc.

Do they have TV contracts now? Yes. But that doesn't mean it won't change in the future.

These en****** are businesses like anything else and will sign with the highest bidder. Just like entertainment TV has suffered in competition with OTTs like netflix, amazon, HBO etc etc so will cable.

They'll have less money to pay for the big sports.

Who knows the timeline, I certainly don't. But I know that cable tv is a dying breed.
    Who has less money to pay for sports? Those contracts get more expensive every year. Those networks will create their own OTT, like ESPN is doing. They aren't letting those contracts go. Live sports is still their biggest money makers

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
      Who has less money to pay for sports? Those contracts get more expensive every year. Those networks will create their own OTT, like ESPN is doing. They aren't letting those contracts go. Live sports is still their biggest money makers
      Well perhaps, but even so, fans will at some stage demand one platform that manages everything.

It's a pain to subscribe to 3 or 4 different ones. Once again, I'm not saying that DAZN will be 'the one', but that's their plan

Comment

Slightly off subject but I read today that Amazon prime have bought the rights to exclusively show some Premier League matches from 2019. Apparently the Premier League / Football Association encouraged the likes of Amazon, Facebook, Netflix and Youtube to bid alongside the usual SKY and BT.
        Amazon outbid the likes of SKY for tennis rights no so long back.

I can see a lot more sports, certainly sections of them, going stream based over the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by yammy25 View Post
          I'm yet to hear how Richard Schaefer is coming up with ideas that properly poo-poo the DAZN environment for boxers.

All I'm hearing him say is it takes away their PPV platform? What platform.. they haven't ****ing got one.

The US hasnt got one... As evident by every PPV buynumber that doesn't have Canelo in it.

Hearns already said that if they transcend to the point of being mega PPV stars then they'll be looked at to see what is more viable for them financially to earn the most they can.

Schaefer might be well respected in boxing.. but he has done precisely **** all for a long while. He should concentrate his efforts on keeping David haye out of the ring.. the fat slob.
          ... Schaefer was banned from boxing for a while (due to his feud with ODLH)... last year he started the Ali Trophy -- which is not "precisely ****", tbh...

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
            ... Schaefer was banned from boxing for a while (due to his feud with ODLH)... last year he started the Ali Trophy -- which is not "precisely ****", tbh...
            He didnt start it, he was brought in to get US fighters and TV. Delivered Robert Brant.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
              He didnt start it, he was brought in to get US fighters and TV. Delivered Robert Brant.
              ... not a big Schaefer's fan here... but WBSS tournaments still are a joint venture between Sauerland Promotions and Richard Schaefer under the Comosa AG banner...

Comment

Working...
              X