No announcement yet.

Anybody grow up watching Ali in his prime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody grow up watching Ali in his prime

I'm too young but I know it had to be special watching someone like that. Thankfully there's a ton of videos out there for the younger generation to see.

I was born in 1971 so by the time I really knew what was going on he was on the slide but I saw quit a few of his fights live.

Comment

I'm 48, remember several of his 70s fights, especially the Manila Frazier fight. That was a superhuman spectacle. Nothing you are going see in any scene since then is going to match that intensity. Have very vague memories of the Zaire fight. I can recall the rope a dope and the stoppage. I didn't really know much about Foreman except he was big and dangerous. Frazier was really Ali's big rival for me.

Comment

I was around during the time he was making his comeback and for the legendary first bout with Joe Frazier. I was young but it was a distinctive time in boxing history. Everybody, I mean Everybody was talking about boxing and the fight. Ali, and Frazier had transcended into every walk of life and was being discussed at all levels. This notoriety followed Ali throughout his career making him the most known athlete on the planet, possibly for all time.

Comment

Originally posted by Money Shot View Post
          I'm 48, remember several of his 70s fights, especially the Manila Frazier fight. That was a superhuman spectacle. Nothing you are going see in any scene since then is going to match that intensity. Have very vague memories of the Zaire fight. I can recall the rope a dope and the stoppage. I didn't really know much about Foreman except he was big and dangerous. Frazier was really Ali's big rival for me.

Definitely Joe was his biggest rival, I just watched the HBO documentary on the Thrilla in Manilla. I don't know what year it was made but Joe still had very hard feelings about Ali and how he treated him.

Comment

Not old enough unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
              I was around during the time he was making his comeback and for the legendary first bout with Joe Frazier. I was young but it was a distinctive time in boxing history. Everybody, I mean Everybody was talking about boxing and the fight. Ali, and Frazier had transcended into every walk of life and was being discussed at all levels. This notoriety followed Ali throughout his career making him the most known athlete on the planet, possibly for all time.
              I imagine it being like a Steph Curry in this day but even bigger and keeping it up for a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Money Shot View Post
                I am slightly older, but my family always watched boxing on TV, Howard Cosell 0n ABC's wide world of sports.

I remember watching the Vietnam war on TV.

Comment

When I was kid me and my brother would put on boxing gloves and pretend we were Ali and Frazier. I remember watching a few Ali fights in the 70's. The Thrilla In Manilla seemed like the one that stands out the most. Ali was not only the biggest boxing star at that time, he was the most popular sports star and his fame equaled that of the biggest music stars and movie stars, like Elvis Presley and The Beatles.

Comment

keep 'um coming with the ali stories.

i'm an 80's baby so i don't have any stories.

Comment

Working...
                    X