No announcement yet.

Great Who Could Of Achieved More?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muhammad Ali is the most obvious.

Especially with 4 years of his prime missing, and not because of injury.

Comment

Originally posted by £Hank$Moody€ View Post
      Muhammad Ali is the most obvious.

Especially with 4 years of his prime missing, and not because of injury.
      I don't really understand that one, too well.

Yes, he was out of the ring for 3 years, but he ended up beating the top fighters of those 3 years later on.

What I would say is that he missed out on some of his prime years. But achievements? Not really.

Comment

Originally posted by bolopunchez View Post
        I don't really understand that one, too well.

Yes, he was out of the ring for 3 years, but he ended up beating the top fighters of those 3 years later on.

What I would say is that he missed out on some of his prime years. But achievements? Not really.
        Well he wouldn't have regained the title, because he wouldn't have lost it in the first place. But I don't see how a guy of Ali's caliber can lose over 3 1/2 years of his peak prime, and say he wouldn't have achieved more had he fought those years.

Comment

Originally posted by !Belive! View Post
          Name some Great/ATG fighters, that could of achived more, but for one reason or another didn't?
          What about Joe Calzaghe? I think he can solidify his status by facing the super 6 winner.

Comment

Marciano maybe could have fought a few more years, He retired at 32. Gorge Forman quit for 10 years then came back. Ray Leonard from 81 to 87 only had three fights.

Comment

James Toney and Roberto Duran come to mind. Although there isn't much more Duran could have done, but if he hadn't been so into partying and come into so many fights overweight and at weights too high, he could have been even greater. Top five instead of top ten.

If he, and Toney, had come in, in the shape they did when they fought their best fights even at the higher weights they would both have beaten nearly everyone they lost to.

Comment

I've seen Ali's name for losing some years. How about Joe Louis? He lost almost 4 years to world war II. He could have quite possibly had 12 to 15 more defenses. Imagine ANY champion defending their title 35, 40 times. That would be insane.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  I've seen Ali's name for losing some years. How about Joe Louis? He lost almost 4 years to world war II. He could have quite possibly had 12 to 15 more defenses. Imagine ANY champion defending their title 35, 40 times. That would be insane.
                  Excellent choice! Louis would have probably would have held the title for the same amount of time but had alot more defences. Many suggest the time off hurt his career as he wasn't as sharp upon returning.

Comment

I'm sure they would have had no problem in organising many more "bum of the month" tours for "slow" Joe.

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                    James Toney and Roberto Duran come to mind. Although there isn't much more Duran could have done, but if he hadn't been so into partying and come into so many fights overweight and at weights too high, he could have been even greater. Top five instead of top ten.

If he, and Toney, had come in, in the shape they did when they fought their best fights even at the higher weights they would both have beaten nearly everyone they lost to.

That's right everyone,Duran is GOAT and he only every lost because of himself.

Comment

Pretty amazing that the two greatest HWs of all time both lost almost 4 years of their peak prime and still managed to be head and shoulders above the rest.

Comment

Working...
                      X