Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hyde: Rigo Destroyed Own Career..."Turned Down Many Multi-Million Dollar Offers"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyde: Rigo Destroyed Own Career..."Turned Down Many Multi-Million Dollar Offers"

Manager Gary Hyde says he felt bad hearing the news that the WBO decided to strip Guillermo Rigondeaux of his world title belt, but he also faults both Rigondeaux and the people around him for putting him in this position. Hyde had been Rigondeaux's manager for a number of years, but the two appeared to have something of a falling out, with Rigondeaux opting to wait for his contract with Hyde to expire rather that to take some fights.

Considering that Rigondeaux isn't exactly in high demand -- being the ultimate high-risk/low-reward fighter -- passing on fights when very few were willing while also not having any network backing isn't exactly a recipe for success.

"It saddens me to hear that Rigondeaux has been stripped of his WBO world title and on hearing that the WBA are also considering stripping him," Hyde told Michael Woods of Ring Magazine. "Rigondeaux has worked his whole career to become the best fighter in the world. He was successful in doing this, winning two belts (as well as the RING championship), but he has surrounded himself with people who have ruined his career. No promoter or manager would touch Rigo with a 10-foot pole because these people are too difficult to deal with and they put hurdle after hurdle in front of every opportunity offered to Rigo. This is a nightmare situation for one of the best fighters in the world."

Rigondeaux is indeed one of the very best fighters in the world, but hardly anyone would fault you for not knowing that since the Cuban defector has fought only fifteen times in a seven year career. It also seems pretty clear that the "people" who have ruined Rigondeaux's career, as Hyde puts it, is a thinly-veiled shot at Caribe Promotions, a small-time company who scarcely even have a website. But Hyde doesn't absolve the fighter himself from responsibility.

"Rigo has to take some of the blame for destroying his own career," he said. "He has refused many multi-million dollar opportunities I offered to him over the last couple of years. He needs to get rid of these reptiles and get fighting again because not only will he lose his world titles outside of the ring he will also be forgotten."

As a sad matter of fact, Rigondeaux, now 35 years old, could well turn out to be one of the very best fighters of this generation who might soon fade from the memories of even dedicated fans, disappearing as quickly as he arrived on the scene -- all without so much as a whimper.
    http://www.badlefthook.com/2015/11/2...his-own-career

It's all unwinding at this point. It's not about his fighting style, it's not about Top Rank, etc.

His downfall is due to Caribe and his refusal to leave.

Dude is a fraud and many people knew it a long time ago. Funny how it was everyone else's fault but his.

Comment

Fighters just don't want it as bad as they used to.

Comment

Originally posted by LeonSpinxMwfpce View Post
        Dude is a fraud and many people knew it a long time ago. Funny how it was everyone else's fault but his.
        How is he a fraud? Terrible at business yes but not sure how he's a fraud..

Comment

Sad to see one of the best out of the ring

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
            How is he a fraud? Terrible at business yes but not sure how he's a fraud..
            He probably didn't read the article. He posted immediately after I hit the new thread button. LOL

Comment

Smh..........

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
                He probably didn't read the article. He posted immediately after I hit the new thread button. LOL
                Nothing new to read. He claims he wanted all these fights, but for one reason or another, they never happened. Fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by LeonSpinxMwfpce View Post
                  Nothing new to read.
                  That explains a lot

Comment

I want to see numbers and years of contracts. $2 million is multi million. I would like to see specifics.

Comment

Working...
                    X