No announcement yet.

Religious people! Come in here!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
    You don't need Chris Langan's IQ to copy a portion of the text and paste it into Google.
    Just thought I'd ask him while I complimented him on his post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Traveler1 View Post
      Great post!

Where did you get this statement from?
      I'm glad you're interested.

For the entire transcript, http://www.ctmu.org/

Comment

• Originally posted by One Deist View Post
        I'm glad you're interested.

For the entire transcript, http://www.ctmu.org/
        Thanks, OD.

Comment

• &

For those who don't plan on reading the entire transcript of the Q & A session with Langen, one more thing that I thought was interesting:

Q: What came first, the chicken or the egg? Those are your choices...either the chicken or the egg. Any other answer is wrong.

A: Contrary to popular belief, this age-old dilemma actually has a very straightforward solution. First, you must specify what kind of egg you mean. If you mean “any kind of egg”, then the egg came first (because chickens were preceded on the evolutionary timeline by, for example, egg-laying fish, insects and dinosaurs). If, on the other hand, you mean “a chicken egg”, then you must specify whether this means (a) “an egg laid by a chicken”, (b) “an egg containing a chicken”, or (c) “an egg laid by and containing a chicken”. In cases (a) and (c), the answer is by definition “the chicken” (if the answer were “the egg”, then the egg could not have been laid by a chicken).

In case (b), the usual and most interesting interpretation, the answer is “the egg”. This is because interspecies mutations separating a new species from its parent species occur in reproductive rather than somatic DNA, i.e. in germ cells rather than body cells. (Germ cells include the sperm and egg cells produced in the reproductive tracts of male and female animals respectively.) Since germ cells are merely produced, but not somatically expressed, by the parents of the organism(s) whose biological information they encode, their expression begins in the egg containing the offspring. So the egg contains a chicken, but was not laid by a chicken. (See how easy that was?)
          Last edited by One_Tycoon; 01-01-2011, 06:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Kevin Malone View Post
            I see no interest on either side of the "debate" at understanding their own position deeper or trying to understand other opinions. That's why I have pretty much stayed out of it. It's just more "us vs them" pat yourself on the back nonsense.

All people, including me, have an inherent fear of genuinely analyzing themselves at a deeper level and examining human existence. When this happens there is no desire for debating on the internet as it is an internal struggle and has nothing to do with opinions of others or telling ourselves how correct and smart we are and how stupid you are

You are pretty much right about this.

And generally I would follow that same rule except I think that a Deistic way of looking at our world and how we came into existence is a recipe for World Peace, at least in the Religious Wars sense.

Of course we'd still have other material things to fight about.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
              For those who believe in a God who cares about you and your feelings, a god who will answer your prayers.

Can you explain why he made this whole Universe, just for **** sapiens? Why would he care about us in a Universe so big.

I believe in a god, a creator if you will. But thinking he cares and will answer our prayers is just silly.

Watch video before debating please.

God is a busy God. Billions upon trillions endless possibilities to monitor. But if your prayers are fervent enough you will sometimes get His attention.

As for your video. Its comical. They show the "after glow of the beginning of a new universe" but that is just their biased interpretation of it. If indeed they did see an "afterglow" at the end of the universe, which I'm not convinced at all they can pretend to see that far. But even if they could.. it could be viewed as a source.. not an afterglow, could it not?

One could even venture to call it heaven

Comment

• Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
                For those who believe in a God who cares about you and your feelings, a god who will answer your prayers.

Can you explain why he made this whole Universe, just for **** sapiens? Why would he care about us in a Universe so big.

I believe in a god, a creator if you will. But thinking he cares and will answer our prayers is just silly.

Watch video before debating please.

Nice bait thread. A belief is just that a belief.

Comment

• Who invented religions and for what purpose?

Comment

• religion = for dumbasses

Comment

Working...
                    X