No announcement yet.

Mikey Garcia turned down unification fight vs. Jorge Linares

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
    Lets hear from all the Top Rank haters on how Bob only keeps his fighters in-house. Linares/Garcia was the fight to make at 135. Golden Boy did their part. Thank you Al Haymon. The pattern continues.
    Seeing as though a deal for Linares to fight Easter would never come to fruition, Mikey fighting Easter and taking his title and then fighting Linares for all three belts after doesn't seem like a bad idea. Especially since Mikey was offered MORE money to fight arguably a more dangerous opponent/could be seen as less either way its a win win for Mikey. Another title and more money in the his pockets along with making the Linares fight even bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by lolpz View Post
      Seeing as though a deal for Linares to fight Easter would never come to fruition, Mikey fighting Easter and taking his title and then fighting Linares for all three belts after doesn't seem like a bad idea. Especially since Mikey was offered MORE money to fight arguably a more dangerous opponent/could be seen as less either way its a win win for Mikey. Another title and more money in the his pockets along with making the Linares fight even bigger.
      But will Mikey fight him? I suspect he will refuse a fight with Linares if the same terms are offered next time around. I think I key can bat him, but I just wonder how far he goes if he burns bridges with TR and GBP.

Comment

But will Mikey fight him? I suspect he will refuse a fight with Linares if the same terms are offered next time around. I think I key can bat him, but I just wonder how far he goes if he burns bridges with TR and GBP.
        That's the whole point, he wants to gain leverage

That's why negotiations exist, why boxers need to be smart, weigh their options, and then make their decisions accordingly. The fight can only get bigger by him going out beating Easter and picking up a second title. Unless the very beatable Linares goes out and loses a decision over someone he should convincingly beat in his next fight (I personally thought Luke Campbell edged him out by 1 point in his last fight) then there is no problem.

I mean I think we can all agree that saying Mikey Garcia is "ducking" Linares is like saying Deontay Wilder is ducking Dillan Whyte. Let's be real here, that is highly unlikely lol.

Comment

Originally posted by lolpz View Post
          That's the whole point, he wants to gain leverage

That's why negotiations exist, why boxers need to be smart, weigh their options, and then make their decisions accordingly. The fight can only get bigger by him going out beating Easter and picking up a second title. Unless the very beatable Linares goes out and loses a decision over someone he should convincingly beat in his next fight (I personally thought Luke Campbell edged him out by 1 point in his last fight) then there is no problem.

I mean I think we can all agree that saying Mikey Garcia is "ducking" Linares is like saying Deontay Wilder is ducking Dillan Whyte. Let's be real here, that is highly unlikely lol.
          Mikey and Deontay are two entirely different scenarios. I don't think Mikey is ducking Linares, I'm fairly certain he beats Linares by TKO in the late rounds. I'm just curious why he didn't take a three fight deal that would have given him Cotto, Linares and one more fight that he likely wins for what would have been career broadening wins and likely good money.

Deontay, I think he is doing his best to preserve his undefeated record. He doesn't want to risk a loss on the cards to Whyte and then blow his shot at a bigger money fight with AJ. Hence, he turns down $5M (3 times more than he has ever earned) and what should be an easy win. He also loses out on exposure in the U.K. to make the AJ fight even bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
            He was calling hard for this fight and the offer looks perfect. I hope the money in his other option is great and this is next because it would be poor form to turn down a fight you've gone out of your way to ask for.
            Well Garcia isn't exactly known to make great career/business decisions.

Comment

Mikey and Deontay are two entirely different scenarios. I don't think Mikey is ducking Linares, I'm fairly certain he beats Linares by TKO in the late rounds. I'm just curious why he didn't take a three fight deal that would have given him Cotto, Linares and one more fight that he likely wins for what would have been career broadening wins and likely good money.

Deontay, I think he is doing his best to preserve his undefeated record. He doesn't want to risk a loss on the cards to Whyte and then blow his shot at a bigger money fight with AJ. Hence, he turns down $5M (3 times more than he has ever earned) and what should be an easy win. He also loses out on exposure in the U.K. to make the AJ fight even bigger.
              Wilder has a significantly higher chance of getting knocked out by Whyte then even coming close to losing a decision against him in my opinion. That says a lot lol.

You mean to tell me, he was willing to fight the literal "boogeyman" of the heavyweight division Luis Ortiz over Whyte and Stiverne, but he's unwilling to fight Whyte for $5 Million to "preserve his undefeated record?"

Doesn't add up or make any sense to me.

Comment

Working...
              X