Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Carlos Monzon be respected? This dude beat women and killed one

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think there's a tendency to forgive fighters for their personal lives and recognize their professional accomplishments as more time passes.

i don't think it's appropriate, but that's what happens with monzon. lots of young boxing fans dont' know who he is. why shoudl we expect them to know he was an awufl dude and a killer?

monzon is on the short list of meanest fighters of all time, by all accounts. he broke a reporter's jaw, and beat the f#ck out of women. he's got well documented domestic issues with girlfriends, wives, and mistresses.

he killed his wife. she was choked fully unconscious and beaten before she fell off of a balcony, according to the autopsy. monzon fell with her.

that stuff isn't talk about much. i agree with you. people remember him primarily for being a great middleweight. he was a champion for 7 years, and he beat hall of famers. i think the passage of time is what lends us to forgive/ forget the transgressions of these guys in their personal lives.

Comment

damn he did THAT? got damn
      how you kill your ol lady?

Comment

He did this to her.

Comment

he threw himself out so when the police arrived he could tell them that they both fell accidentally, thinking he could fool them. the autopsy revealed she was choked. recently the law was changed when it comes to femicide, so today monzon would have been in prison for life. but back then he only got like 11 years or something. for what he did that was nothing, if you ask me

Comment

He should be respected as a fighter but not as a person. Disgusting.

Comment

As a fighter, I think we can all appreciate his skills but as a human being he was a piece of ****, which stops me from being a fan and listing him on any sort of favourites list but when I'm being impartial and objective, then I can not leave him off of best ever lists.

Comment

His boxing skills and his accomplishments should be respected, but he's not the kind of guy you would want to hang out with. Besides the beatings and homicide, he was just not a friendly person from what I've read. Perhaps that cut off style of living made him great at what he did. Either way, he's definitely a Hall of Famer for his accomplishments- not for being a great person. Obviously there are many others who deserve praise for their accomplishments but not their personal lives like Edwin Valero who killed his girlfriend and then hanged himself, Mayweather foe beating his wife and I believe Stanley Ketchel was shot to death for fooling around with a man's wife. Boxing is like anything else. Those involved are far from perfect. Ibeabuchi just got released on a rape charge and whether guilty or not, he did take the sentence. Mike Tyson went in for rape as well, whether or not anyone believes he was guilty. He was found guilty by a court of law- not good. But maybe we have to look at how many boxers didn't beat women and commit murder. I think the ratio would be overwhelmingly good.

Comment

Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
                  So why can't you do the same for Floyd? Double standards much?
                  Monzon was no clincher, he was a boxer/puncher. I don't respect clinchers.

Comment

Not respected for what he did outside the ring but for what he did in it.

Comment

As a man, no. As a fighter, yes.

Comment

Working...
                      X