No announcement yet.

Oscar DeLa Hoya VS Roberto Duran

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
    Don't try to be slick and condescending if you can't do it without taking something out of context. If you can't understand what I'm saying then you're an even bigger idiot than I thought, and I find myself telling you that everyday so you continue to slide down the scale.
    I don't need to own you, you continue to own yourself on a daily basis.

Carry on about how DLH was Tommy Hearns reincarnated. I could use the chuckles.

But just so you know they are completely nothing alike. DLH was basically a one handed fighter, his left. Great jab and left hook, nothing much to speak of in his right hand. Sounds exactly like Hearns, right?
    Last edited by Jim Jeffries; 04-26-2010, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
      I don't need to own you, you continue to own yourself on a daily basis.

Carry on about how DLH was Tommy Hearns reincarnated. I could use the chuckles.
      You want a chuckle, have a look at your tiny penis

Comment

He also called DLH a "prospect."

That's the caliber of moron we're dealing with.

What you fail to realize, is that "prospect" went on to be one of the greatest fighters of all time, and because we know that, we can't talk about him as if he didn't go on to be a 10x world champion who beat the best of the best and won titles in several weight divisions.

DLH was just such a damn good boxer that just watching him and how brilliant he was still amazes me.

And Duran fought Tommy Hearns totally wrong - standing upright without bobbing and weaving at all. You can get away with that against lesser competition, which is what Duran was used to. DLH is somewhat similar to Tommy Hearns in style. If Duran came at DLH upright he's going to set himself up for punishment.

Don't forget DLH's great reach, speed, and incredible power. He was also a great finisher. When he smelled blood the aztec in him would wake up and he'd eat your heart.

He was hungry, he had killer instinct, and he had a granite chin.

Duran was great but that doesn't mean he's going to walk all over Oscar. That's just ridiculous.
        Duran fought Hearns on the outside. He forever changed to an outside fighter after Marvin Hagler beat him on the inside. When he clocked Barkley he was fighting on the outside. He fought Hearns on the outside and go Koed straight up.

I agree though, read my other post, I think Duran beats him at LW where he physically stronger, but at 147 is a close fight. It was a close fight with SRL he isn't even known as someone who "brawls". Oscar would give Duran a good tussle but man those last 3-4 rounds I can just see Duran doing some real damage.

Comment

What you fail to realize, is that "prospect" went on to be one of the greatest fighters of all time, and because we know that, we can't talk about him as if he didn't go on to be a 10x world champion who beat the best of the best and won titles in several weight divisions.

DLH was just such a damn good boxer that just watching him and how brilliant he was still amazes me.

And Duran fought Tommy Hearns totally wrong - standing upright without bobbing and weaving at all. You can get away with that against lesser competition, which is what Duran was used to. DLH is somewhat similar to Tommy Hearns in style. If Duran came at DLH upright he's going to set himself up for punishment.

Don't forget DLH's great reach, speed, and incredible power. He was also a great finisher. When he smelled blood the aztec in him would wake up and he'd eat your heart.

Duran was great but that doesn't mean he's going to walk all over Oscar. That's just ridiculous.

i think DLH could hurt Duran but not put him away. Hearns could put him away. DLH doesn't have enough pop to really put any decent version of Duran away.

Comment

Although that fight was at 150 or 154 I believe, it showed me one thing - Duran doesn't know how to beat a guy who knows how to fight with a size, reach and speed advantage (DLH has arguably more power?), and his 200 second destruction via Tommy Hearns showcased this.
            Ok, I have now seen the most deluded post ever written here. Oscar has more power than Tommy Hearns' right hand?

Duran doesn't know how to fight height, speed, and size even after beating Ray Leonard? He had a bigger size advantage, bigger reach advantage and much more speed than Oscar.

I'm not saying Oscar would lose or Duran would win. I'm not giving any prediction on this fight and the above isn't one, but what you just wrote is the stupidest thing I've ever seen written here.

What even makes you slightly justify those statements? Especially the power one. That's funny stuff. Hearns destroys guys from 147 to 200 pounds brutally and knocks out guys that were about as close to unknockoutable as you could get. Oscar knocks out ... Vargas? Who? I don't even know an amazing KO of his that made me think "Now, that's freak power!"?

The even funnier one is the Duran doesn't know how to fight height, speed and size. No, he only spent the second half of his career fighting much bigger guys as a midget fat ass and still beat them. He only beat what is generally considered among the fastest fighters ever and who had a massive size and height advantage over him! Much more than Oscar would.

You didn't think that one through did you?

Comment

Eeeeeheheheeee, ok, now it's getting even worse. Mate, seriously, go watch the guys you're talking about before rabbiting on like this.

What did Hearns beat Duran with? Did you say a massive series of right hands? Which hand is Oscar completely dependent on? Left hand you say?

What weight division was that at? 154? Oh right, I thought we were talking about a prime Duran at 135 who had some of the greatest head movement ever seen and used it so much more than at 154 and above that they aren't even comparable to the same fighters?

When did you ever see Oscar not let someone inside? Oh really? Yes, that's what I thought too. I've never seen him use his full range and distance to keep someone on the end of his jab and his legs to move out of range if they move in on him either. Good observation.

What's that you say? No, I'm not sure of any great fighters he fought at 135 either. I suppose Genaro Hernandez was probably the best. You know, that lanky counter puncher/boxer dude?

Best that Duran fought at 135 you ask? I would say the great HOF lightweight champion Ken Buchanan. The tall, quick, slick boxer with the beautiful left hand that was undefeated apart from the horrible decision given against him in Venezuela early in his career. The shorter Duran had no problem slipping his jab and getting inside and negating his speed and boxing by his own highly underrated skill, speed and ability to slip punches, get inside and work non stop for a full fifteen rounds. Some would say the boxer/puncher De Jesus but I don't know. Buchanan beat many champions/HOf fighters including the great Ismael Laguna, Carlos Hernandez, Carlos Ortiz, Ruben Navarro being among a very select few.

Yes, I think I agree. Although earlier in his career he was known for finishing well he never showed it against a great fighter and actually his lack of stamina became known as a major problem for him throughout his career. I can see Oscar being badly drained by round ten after a brutal body attack and then Duran coming on stronger and stronger as Oscar wilts down the stretch.

Each to their won though. Good talking to you Carlos.

Ask any more questions you want regarding this topic.

Comment

Although I agree that Oscar takes too much flak on these boards for some reason but comparing him to Hearns is pretty silly. Hearns money punch was his straight right hand, he could bang if he wanted to but he was at his best jabbing his opponent into place so he could tee off with his howitzer of a right hand. Oscar was a left handed fighter who fought orthodox, he never had much of a right hand (Hence why he couldn't trouble PacMan at all). Oscar had a really good left jab that he would use effectively but he didn't usually try to circle his opponent and pin them in place. Oscar jabbed to set up his underrated left hook which he would throw effectively to the head and body.

I just can't see ODH doing to Duran what Hearns did to him, I don't see Oscar having the right hand to really keep Duran off of him and trying to use his hook will require him to fight inside were I think we can all agree that Duran would have a rather large advantage. I just can't see this fight ending well for Oscar at 135 or 147 for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepSleep View Post
                  Although I agree that Oscar takes too much flak on these boards for some reason but comparing him to Hearns is pretty silly. Hearns money punch was his straight right hand, he could bang if he wanted to but he was at his best jabbing his opponent into place so he could tee off with his howitzer of a right hand. Oscar was a left handed fighter who fought orthodox, he never had much of a right hand (Hence why he couldn't trouble PacMan at all). Oscar had a really good left jab that he would use effectively but he didn't usually try to circle his opponent and pin them in place. Oscar jabbed to set up his underrated left hook which he would throw effectively to the head and body.

I just can't see ODH doing to Duran what Hearns did to him, I don't see Oscar having the right hand to really keep Duran off of him and trying to use his hook will require him to fight inside were I think we can all agree that Duran would have a rather large advantage. I just can't see this fight ending well for Oscar at 135 or 147 for that matter.
                  Actually hearns money punch was more of a right hook 9i know some people say its not a punch) but he arcs his right hand and get's his hips behind it.

Comment

Quartey had a serious shot at beating Joto when they fought, but lacked that fire and didn't have that extra gear. Just put Duran in Quartey's place that night, and you get the picture .

Once De La Joto finds out what kind of monster he's in the ring with. I see the De La Joto that ran the last 4 rounds against Tito rear its ugly head. I seriously see Joto being content with using the entire ring and jab his way to victory, which wouldn't be enough in the eye of the judges. Duran via UD or late round stoppage.

De La Joto had alot of upside to him, but the problem was, he didn't like it rough, and when guys like Tito and Shane made him uncomfortable throughout the fight, he no longer fought to win, but just fought to survive and not get hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                      Duran fought Hearns on the outside. He forever changed to an outside fighter after Marvin Hagler beat him on the inside. When he clocked Barkley he was fighting on the outside. He fought Hearns on the outside and go Koed straight up.

I agree though, read my other post, I think Duran beats him at LW where he physically stronger, but at 147 is a close fight. It was a close fight with SRL he isn't even known as someone who "brawls". Oscar would give Duran a good tussle but man those last 3-4 rounds I can just see Duran doing some real damage.
                      It would be a close fight throughout the first ten or so but I agree that in the last/championship rounds Duran pulls away and gets about as close to what you would call dominant as someone would get over Oscar in those rounds and would probably win a solid, close but clear decision.

Oscar wouldn;t have much success on the outside. He's not Hearns and doesn't have nearly the reach, skill, power or speed of Hearns and is much more predictable and easy to get inside of. Watch Oscar fight. He doesn't stop anyone from getting inside. It's not how he fights! Hearns stopped guys from getting inside unless he wanted to brawl, which was too often.

Anyway, Duran would sit on Oscar's chest and thud him into the corners and fight away. It would look similar to Leonard/Duran I with Duran being a much clearer winner and without being hit as much, and the late rounds would be dominated (ie. in comparison to the rest of the fight, not dominated in general) by him too.

Oscar does not have a good enough jab to stop him or even hit him with to stop him getting inside easy. Inside, he doesn't do enough to stop from being taken apart to the body.

If Oscar moves, he has to do it for fifteen rounds and he can't even do it for ten well, so he moves and makes an even fight through ten and then gets hammered through the last five. Literally hammered this time though as he would be exhausted and Duran just getting really into it.

Edit: I think Carlos may be getting more upset about people ragging on Oscar. I think you'll find that some have some weird thing against him but most guys won't here. He was a great fighter and at his best would give anyone trouble. Some fights he would struggle to win though and this would be one of them. Against your classic boxer/puncher I think he does well and against certain brawlers/come forward fighters of the Margarito type he also does well. He has amazing heart, great chin, fought everyone and was great but this fight at 135 wouldn't go his way.

One major thing that people overlook also is that Duran was a classic counter puncher. He waited on opponents and used that to launch his arsenal of counters or used feints etc. Oscar is a classic boxer/puncher who likes to lead. He is not a counter puncher and will always come forward and lead, which gives Duran all the opportunities and it also means the fight will be fought at his pace, on his terms.
                      Last edited by BennyST; 04-27-2010, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X