Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One thing I dislike about boxing. Needs to change.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One thing I dislike about boxing. Needs to change.

Hello all, now I'm sure many of you share this same view but it sickens me that there isnt sufficient caring/resources for retired boxers with physical or mental failings, boxing is horrendous in terms of potential brain damage, parkinsons among others.

I want to know why there isn't an organisation that can be created from all the major companies benefitting from boxing financially such as WBA wbc top rank golden boy etc, where a trust fund is made for retired boxers in poor health that have little assets they put there life on the line each and every time they step into the ring.

Whilst there seen as healthy because of training and appearance the damage inside could be dormant until retirement. and with the amount of destitute former boxers I read of it makes me feel bad there's not a specific grant or company that tailors for those who need help.

The amount of money generated in boxing from all the different cells & events could easily cover expenses of retired boxers. but it's like they fade into obscurity for the most part I feel bad for each and every one and if I had billions or a few hundred mill. I'd certainly try to help they provide us entertainment at the expense of there health, yes some get paid handsomely for it but the vast majority don't. Do you agree?

the only thing destroying boxing now are the belts. It's a domino effect. With belts, you can have 5 or 6 guys in the top 10 of a division that are undefeated and all of them calling themselves champion while beating up the same jouneymen/lower level comp. Then you have the WBA which sometimes have up to 4 champions at once. It's getting silly

Comment

I thought I heard of one or two of the abc groups that got a charity type deal and/or some sorta pension for boxers. I know Cali(?) iirc has a boxers pension for guys who fought in there state a certain number of times. Not sure how helpful those are, but it's something.

Although yea there should be more. I think part of the problem is a lot of boxers are there own worst enemy and fall into bigger issues that people feel less comfortable dealing with with professional athletes like drugs, alcohol, illegal activies in general and violence.

I mean who the f#ck would wanna start a Jermain Taylor charity or just support a charity that helps him with some of the sh^t he's done lately?

Granted most ex boxers aren't Taylor but that's a PR nightmare for a charity.

Comment

Originally posted by buddyr View Post
        the only thing destroying boxing now are the belts. It's a domino effect. With belts, you can have 5 or 6 guys in the top 10 of a division that are undefeated and all of them calling themselves champion while beating up the same jouneymen/lower level comp. Then you have the WBA which sometimes have up to 4 champions at once. It's getting silly
        Yeah that's a very good point, that's why we have Chris eubank Jr's of this world parading around with his ibo belt like hes unified champ or something. It's mental

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          I thought I heard of one or two of the abc groups that got a charity type deal and/or some sorta pension for boxers. I know Cali(?) iirc has a boxers pension for guys who fought in there state a certain number of times. Not sure how helpful those are, but it's something.

Although yea there should be more. I think part of the problem is a lot of boxers are there own worst enemy and fall into bigger issues that people feel less comfortable dealing with with professional athletes like drugs, alcohol, illegal activies in general and violence.

I mean who the f#ck would wanna start a Jermain Taylor charity or just support a charity that helps him with some of the sh^t he's done lately?

Granted most ex boxers aren't Taylor but that's a PR nightmare for a charity.
          I like the sound of the abc deal it's a good start. And it's true about the dabbling in criminal elements of society, but not just charity's should help. I want all these big company's/organisations that have monopolised boxing and generate terrific revenue yearly off the back of boxers sacrificing there health year after year. Eddie hearn for example strikes me as the type to not give a toss about a boxer once he's not generating him money or fighting anymore.

Comment

I feel like there's been a sudden uptick of the use of the word "whilst" on nsb lately.

Comment

Where would the money come from to maintain that though? It’s not a league where it can set off funds for future health care like the NFL. It would have to come out of taxes from fight purses to come into fruition.

Comment

Boxer really should have formed a union ages ago, but the individual nature of the sport makes that pretty damn difficult.

Not usually a big union guy but in this case what group would look after fighters better. States and governments are too busy for that and people involved currently in the sport are all sharks and sharks are never looking anywhere but ahead, if those guys take their eye off the ball someone else will be eating their lunch soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
                  I feel like there's been a sudden uptick of the use of the word "whilst" on nsb lately.
                  And the point is? I used it once in multiple paragraphs.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K View Post
                    Where would the money come from to maintain that though? It’s not a league where it can set off funds for future health care like the NFL. It would have to come out of taxes from fight purses to come into fruition.
                    No but the revenue generated from years ago to now across boxing is more then enough to start a sizeable fund accessible by those who need it most the boxers who don't have a support network, much family or specific long term debilitating illness. Not each and every one there's not resources for that

Comment

Working...
                    X