No announcement yet.

Official Height Discrepancies

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Height Discrepancies

I see it over and over again--fighters' heights listed differently. Height does not go up and down like weight. One measurement per career ought to do it. But what if the first one is sloppy? How many writers will use that false data to perpetuate fallacy without even realizing it.

I would like to know whether Marciano was 5'9", 5'10" or 5'11". I would like to know whether Robinson was 5'10" or 5'11'. I would like to know where between 6' and 6'2" Joe Louis fell.

Someone supposedly reputable like Wiki-pejia publishes a figure and other sites jump on the bandwagon. Where did they get their figures? It was not from a tape measure.

If fans, experts and record keepers cannot agree on the height of a fighter, just forget the rest of it about who beats who, etc. Why should we take anyone seriously unless they are standing there with a tape measure? We know they simply looked on Wiki-pejia.

I want the skeletons of Louis, Marciano and Robinson exhumed for measurements.

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
    I see it over and over again--fighters' heights listed differently. Height does not go up and down like weight. One measurement per career ought to do it. But what if the first one is sloppy? How many writers will use that false data to perpetuate fallacy without even realizing it.

I would like to know whether Marciano was 5'9", 5'10" or 5'11". I would like to know whether Robinson was 5'10" or 5'11'. I would like to know where between 6' and 6'2" Joe Louis fell.

Someone supposedly reputable like Wiki-pejia publishes a figure and other sites jump on the bandwagon. Where did they get their figures? It was not from a tape measure.

If fans, experts and record keepers cannot agree on the height of a fighter, just forget the rest of it about who beats who, etc. Why should we take anyone seriously unless they are standing there with a tape measure? We know they simply looked on Wiki-pejia.

I want the skeletons of Louis, Marciano and Robinson exhumed for measurements.
    Height (like reach) is usually provided by the fighter's promoter or manager. The only official statistic is weight.

Mike Tyson is another one who is listed anywhere from 5'9 to 5'11. When he was fighting Buster Mathis Sr. was listed as 6'5, and he looked it. Now I see that Boxrec lists him as 6'3.

People would be wise to accept these stats as estimates rather than fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      Height (like reach) is usually provided by the fighter's promoter or manager. The only official statistic is weight.

Mike Tyson is another one who is listed anywhere from 5'9 to 5'11. When he was fighting Buster Mathis Sr. was listed as 6'5, and he looked it. Now I see that Boxrec lists him as 6'3.

People would be wise to accept these stats as estimates rather than fact.
      It is pretty ridiculous to have to estimate height. Courage yes, height hell no.

Comment

Muhammad Ali is officially listed as being 6'3ins tall. Yet on Youtube Ali is measured next to Wilt Chamberlain the basket ball player. Ali is measured with a tape measure by Angelo Dundee and is 6'4 and a half inches tall.. George Foreman is officially listed as being 6'3ins tall. At ring center getting referee Zak Clayton's instructions in their epic fight. "The Rumble in the Jungle" it is clear that Muhammad Ali is over an inch or more taller than Foreman..

The Website Boxrec is the biggest culprit for false information!

Comment

They put what they want on Boxrec
          The Old LefHook The Old LefHook likes this.

Comment

The normal lie back in the day was 1" taller than reality! It really isn't important compared to reach but it all comes down to can a fighter utilize his so called advantages.
            I know these heights because I stood next to them and like most trainers we have a good eye for height and weight;
            Heres a few fellows I either saw at weighins or at a gym.

Dempsey 6' but I swear he looked bigger from a distance.
            Ali with his leather bottom Everlast boots measured 6' 3 1/2" (the bottoms are very thin)
            Tyson 5'9", in stock shoes 5' 10"
            Saad Muhammed 6' 1"
            Wimpey Halstead 6' 2"
            Marlon Starling 5' 8"
            Tommy Hearns 6'1"
            Ray Leomnard 5' 10"
            Dwight Braxton 5' 9"
            Marvin Hagler 5'9"
            Donny Curry 5' 11"
            Bob Foster 6' 2"

Theres many more but these are pretty note worthy men.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              The normal lie back in the day was 1" taller than reality! It really isn't important compared to reach but it all comes down to can a fighter utilize his so called advantages.
              I know these heights because I stood next to them and like most trainers we have a good eye for height and weight;
              Heres a few fellows I either saw at weighins or at a gym.

Dempsey 6' but I swear he looked bigger from a distance.
              Ali with his leather bottom Everlast boots measured 6' 3 1/2" (the bottoms are very thin)
              Tyson 5'9", in stock shoes 5' 10"
              Saad Muhammed 6' 1"
              Wimpey Halstead 6' 2"
              Marlon Starling 5' 8"
              Tommy Hearns 6'1"
              Ray Leomnard 5' 10"
              Dwight Braxton 5' 9"
              Marvin Hagler 5'9"
              Donny Curry 5' 11"
              Bob Foster 6' 2"

Theres many more but these are pretty note worthy men.
              It must have been hard to judge the actual height of these men though from your point of view ,you know being you were so high up in the sky on cloud 9 in your kings throne, i know you would call me out in a heart beat if i posted such a response so wheres your proof,since according to you i make up such fables?.......

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                It must have been hard to judge the actual height of these men though from your point of view ,you know being you were so high up in the sky on cloud 9 in your kings throne, i know you would call me out in a heart beat if i posted such a response so wheres your proof,since according to you i make up such fables?.......
                why the hell would the guy make up all those heights? lol you are the single worst poster in the history of this forum. Theres literally no one else as bad.

Elroy at least writes coherently, and i won't lie I've laughed a few times at his posts.

Freedom is a complete **** but he does contribute in the form of news.

You are literally so fcuking ****, its mind blowing. And you put this tough guy act on, and I see in a thread some guy called you out and said if you were within a few hours of his location he would drive to fight you, and you cowered away like a schoolgirl.

Comment

The proof about you is how your posts here are a laughing matter bordering on mega BS!!
                  If you don't want to believe in what I write why not ignore me?
                  Are you that intimidated by someone thousands of miles away from you that you have to degrade! Why does every poster on this forum get insults from you if they don't agree with your opinion? Are you that defensive that you need to put down others verbally? Seriously what the hell is wrong with you?

If your a twelve year old with low esteem I can understand your problem.
                  If your actually a 21+ year old man your life must be a mess, you need help boy.

Get some professional aide, your really ****ed up.

Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by GuessWhosBack View Post
                    why the hell would the guy make up all those heights? lol you are the single worst poster in the history of this forum. Theres literally no one else as bad.

Elroy at least writes coherently, and i won't lie I've laughed a few times at his posts.

Freedom is a complete **** but he does contribute in the form of news.

You are literally so fcuking ****, its mind blowing. And you put this tough guy act on, and I see in a thread some guy called you out and said if you were within a few hours of his location he would drive to fight you, and you cowered away like a schoolgirl.
                    Green karma bro, Juggernuts pissing off a poster is about as regular as my bowel movement in the morning....it happens everyday at least twice.

Comment

Working...
                    X