No announcement yet.

Porter beat Usyk in the amateurs!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    Well it might be relevant in some cases. In the case of a guy getting dropped in the amateurs specifically that might say his chin is questionable or even bad.

But idk that anyone should say cuz this happened then that'll happen, but its all a piece of the puzzle.

Ultimately I think one should take into account EVERYTHING if they are truly investigating something & the only calibration I'd recommend is if something happened more recently you can probably take more away from that then you can take away from something less recently.

So if we were talking about Joshua getting dropped or hurt as an amateur for example I think we'd have to take into account that:

1)he was still learning his craft at the time

2)it was what 6-7+yrs ago now

And then decide how much does that really matter now. It for sure doesn't NOT matter, but how much does it matter?

Its a debatable topic with no real right answer beyond finding some rough estimate of the importance of something that happened under precise circumstances quite awhile ago.

Very well said.

Personally, I think people are grasping at straws when they mention Wilder or Joshua or Parker or whomever being dropped in amateurs when they've never been dropped in the pros, but again...well said, you funky ****sapien.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post

Very well said.

Personally, I think people are grasping at straws when they mention Wilder or Joshua or Parker or whomever being dropped in amateurs when they've never been dropped in the pros, but again...well said, you funky ****sapien.

Most these mfers here are grasping at straws all day lol.

I'll never fully understand these cats who live in the tiny corners of the black & white on subjects & never venture into the giant space of gray out there where all the action is happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post

Most these mfers here are grasping at straws all day lol.

I'll never fully understand these cats who live in the tiny corners of the black & white on subjects & never venture into the giant space of gray out there where all the action is happening.
        Boxing has become like Politics. People cheer for their guy instead of whats best. I have fighters I like, but I'd rather see 10 great fights among 20 great fighters than 10 boring fights where my ten guys whoop 10 Ham & Eggers

Comment

Originally posted by John Locke View Post
          It's not that he got beat, it's just that it was against Porter, a 5'6 welterweight. I don't think you realise how ridiculous that is.
          It was a great win for Shawn,Usyk was 6'3 but they both weighed 165 for that fight.

Comment

So did Matt Korobov.

Comment

That's pretty crazy. I know the weights were different and all but that's still a great feat. Porter is of course the real deal. He always has been. Love watching that guy fight. He brings it every time. A real credit to the sport.

Comment

How bad would Thurman dominate Usyk?

Comment

That particular match up is irrelevant now due to their size difference, but the question remains, how much has Usyk improved against a top, short swarmer-type fighter? Like how would he react to prime Mike Tyson, at 5'10", getting all up in his body and head on the inside? How would he defend against Ward's inside fighting? I haven never seen Usyk vs Porter but I assume Porter fought inside and swarmed him which is how he won on points.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrismart View Post
                    Finito Lopez i think? I'm not certain on that however.

EDIT: Sorry Yngwie, i just noticed you had already said this :ANYWORD:
                    i never even heard of him until i read this thread and ive been following boxing for a long time..

how come he is never ever brought up as being an all time great? weird

Comment

Working...
                    X