Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How will Abner Mares be remembered once it's all said and done?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How will Abner Mares be remembered once it's all said and done?

It's no secret that Abner Mares is one of my favorite fighters. He may not be the fastest, strongest, most technically sound or talented but his heart, will and determination will always be worthy of admiration. Up until his his stunning loss to Jhonny, he was facing top competition and all comers and ultimately became a 3 weight world champion.

Many questioned his heart after his KO loss to El Bombardero and although he faced sub par competition for 3 fights thereafter, he bounced back and took on Leo Santa Cruz in a much anticipated showdown. Currently he is looking to return to the ring and possibly face the formidable KO Argentinian boxer, Jesus Cuellar. He's suffered two losses in his career and adversary outside of the ring in forms of injuries and a detached retina that threatened his career back in 2008.

Everyone gives credit to other fighters whom haven't done much in the sport recently but live off of past victories, why isn't Abner also held with such regard? He drew with Perez, beat Darchinyan, Agbeko x2, Moreno, Ponce De Leon, lost to Gonzalez and fought his heart out in his second loss to Leo. Now he's headed towards Cuellar and win, lose or draw, his resume continues to get deeper.

He's a throwback fighter. He has always wanted to fight the best and always gives his all in the ring. My main question is, will Abner fade into obscurity after such an exciting career or will he be remembered as one of the gutsiest warrior of his era in the sport? Will he continue to be some what overlooked while he's active and be remembered and missed once he retires... or will he simply never get the recognition I personally believe he deserves?

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
    It's no secret that Abner Mares is one of my favorite fighters. He may not be the fastest, strongest, most technically sound or talented but his heart, will and determination will always be worthy of admiration. Up until his his stunning loss to Jhonny, he was facing top competition and all comers and ultimately became a 3 weight world champion.

Many questioned his heart after his KO loss to El Bombardero and although he faced sub par competition for 3 fights thereafter, he bounced back and took on Leo Santa Cruz in a much anticipated showdown. Currently he is looking to return to the ring and possibly face the formidable KO Argentinian boxer, Jesus Cuellar. He's suffered two losses in his career and adversary outside of the ring in forms of injuries and a detached retina that threatened his career back in 2008.

Everyone gives credit to other fighters whom haven't done much in the sport recently but live off of past victories, why isn't Abner also held with such regard? He drew with Perez, beat Darchinyan, Agbeko x2, Moreno, Ponce De Leon, lost to Gonzalez and fought his heart out in his second loss to Leo. Now he's headed towards Cuellar and win, lose or draw, his resume continues to get deeper.

He's a throwback fighter. He has always wanted to fight the best and always gives his all in the ring. My main question is, will Abner fade into obscurity after such an exciting career or will he be remembered as one of the gutsiest warrior of his era in the sport? Will he continue to be some what overlooked while he's active and be remembered and missed once he retires... or will he simply never get the recognition I personally believe he deserves?
    Abner was all guts man. Good fighter particularly on inside. I think he tried to make every fight a war, when he didn't have to. He actually has a good jab and some good in and out skills, yet i think he loves pleasing the fans. Wish some other fighters would be like this. Good guy and fighter who earned alot of respect form fighters and fans alike.

Comment

Originally posted by Fangedgrowl View Post
      Abner was all guts man. Good fighter particularly on inside. I think he tried to make every fight a war, when he didn't have to. He actually has a good jab and some good in and out skills, yet i think he loves pleasing the fans. Wish some other fighters would be like this. Good guy and fighter who earned alot of respect form fighters and fans alike.
      I compare Abner with Mickey Ward, Arturo Gatti, Not as great as Eric Morales but a throwback like him. Good tough guy who was world class but would give you a hell of a fight.

Comment

Tough, solid contender that always bought his A-game. Career was limited by politics. Left unfinished business at 118 and 122 and probably moved up sooner than he should've.

Rigondeaux and Donaire were the fights to make at 122 which would have allowed Mares to evolve from just another tough contender to an elite level champion. But the cold war prevented those fights from happening. At 126 he just hasn't been nearly as effective. The size disadvantage was apparent in the one-sided losses to Gonzalez and Santa Cruz.

Unfortunately when we look back on the fighters of this era their legacies will be filled with "what ifs". Mares is just one of many.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
          Tough, solid contender that always bought his A-game. Career was limited by politics. Left unfinished business at 118 and 122 and probably moved up sooner than he should've.

Rigondeaux and Donaire were the fights to make at 122 which would have allowed Mares to evolve from just another tough contender to an elite level champion. But the cold war prevented those fights from happening. At 126 he just hasn't been nearly as effective. The size disadvantage was apparent in the one-sided losses to Gonzalez and Santa Cruz.

Unfortunately when we look back on the fighters of this era their legacies will be filled with "what ifs". Mares is just one of many.
          Well put PBP. Unfortunatley the networks, promoters kept several high profile bouts from happening. I think Abner would have lost more than he won, but the guy gives the fans what they want.

Comment

Just another fighter of the era who can collect belts but is nothing special. A Golden Boy creation allowed to fight dirty and get away with anything. I'll give him credit for trying to fight Donaire but luckily for Mares Arum kept making excuses. People would try to say he was p4p number 3 after Floyd and Manny even though he was never really impressive win or lose.

Comment

Mares was a damn good fighter. He wasn't the most skilled, but he was good enough at what he did to go on a hell of a run. There was a point where he could be argued as a top 5 p4p fighter because he kept winning fights that earned him a spot.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post

^^^This definitely^^^

Comment

Working...
                X