No announcement yet.

Muhammad Ali and my Great-Uncle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muhammad Ali and my Great-Uncle

I hope you can assist me with my research into my Great-Uncle, Cliff Watson, and his meeting with Muhammad Ali.

Cliff was a Rugby League player with St. Helens, Great Britain and Cronulla Sutherland Sharks during the 1960's and early 1970's. In 1966, his team won all 4 major trophies they competed in and in late May won the coveted Challenge Cup - the holy grail of Rugby League trophies; the pinnacle of most player's careers.

The day after winning the trophy, the team were invited into the BBC's London studios to watch the Eamonn Andrews show - where they even received a mention. Also on the show that day was; Mr. Muhammad Ali (formerly Cassius Marcellus Clay Junior) Esq.

When Watson published his autobiography in 2016, it contained the following quote:

"Muhammad Ali was also on the show, and in the corridor before the show started Ali began winding us up wanting to prove how tough we really are. I thought 'I'm not having all this s***', so I threw a rugby ball down the corridor to him and asked him to run it back at me. I told him we would see how tough he was after a short arm tackle. Last saw I saw of him was when his minders ushered him away to safety."

Various other, reliable teammates have recited that story to me.

In that quote he mentions 'minders'. Did Ali have an entourage like Rlvis Presley had the 'Memphis Mafia' and the likes of Red West, Joe Espoito and Billy Smith? Did Ali have a team of bodyguards/'watch-overs'?

If so, would some one be able to inform me who would be accompanying Ali around in 1966, please?

I hope you are able to assist.

Kind regards,

Davis Watson

Did you ever meet your great uncle?

Comment

Most if not all of Ali’s entourage are dead. No disrespect but no boxer is going to risk being tackled by a football player just as no football player would want to get into a real fight with Ali. No upside either way.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
        Did you ever meet your great uncle?
        Well, I have, but I must've been all of 10 months!! We've spoke on the phone and exchanged letters and Christmas cards, etc. so I did know him quite well

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
          Most if not all of Ali’s entourage are dead. No disrespect but no boxer is going to risk being tackled by a football player just as no football player would want to get into a real fight with Ali. No upside either way.
          Cliff could box, but only a fool would expect him to get past 5-10 minutes in the ring with Ali, but if his minders hadn't have stepped in, I doubt Ali would've been on the Eammon Andrews Show that night - both were at the top of their game and the best in their business. So as you say, no real upside.

Can you think of any of Ali's entourage that are still about?

Comment

A story of members of the entourage can be read here:

https://www.si.com/boxing/2014/10/10...-ali-entourage

Some of these guys probably wasn't in britain in 1966 and some have passed away.

Comment

Ali’s brother I believe is still living.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                A story of members of the entourage can be read here:

Some of these guys probably wasn't in britain in 1966 and some have passed away.

That's just what I was after!! Cheers mate

Comment

Great, I will look into him. Thanks pal

Comment

Did he have more than one brother? Is this the one angry over not getting anything from the will.

Comment

Working...
                    X