No announcement yet.

Greatest Heavyweight Never A Champion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Heavyweight Never A Champion

We have asked the question before. But ye answer does change from time to time.
    Ron Lyle
    5.26%
    Cleveland Williams
    0.00%
    Jimmy Young
    15.79%
    Gerry Cooney
    0.00%
    Sam Langford
    26.32%
    Harry Wills
    10.53%
    Ike Ibeabuchi
    31.58%
    Chris Byrd
    0.00%
    David Tua
    10.53%
    Buddy Baer
    0.00%
    Last edited by The Old LefHook; 03-18-2018, 03:49 AM.

Shannon Briggs

Comment

How is Jerry Quarry not even on this list. That's a complete embarrassment. Yes jerry quarry fought in the single best era of Heavyweight history and had some brutal defeats " Ali , Frazier, even jimmy elis. Quarry defeated many foes at the top of there game. Patterson still in his prime, ko'd Shavers in 1, Mac Foster 6, Thad spencer in 12, and holds 2 quality decisions over Ron Lyle and a once beaten Buster Mathis . Jerry has some good wins. And that's that!!

Comment

I don't think he was the greatest but Ike really derailed himself.

With 16 fights he fought Tua in a great fight and KOed a prime Byrd. I was amazed that this dude came out of no where and had it all. Too bad we couldn't see more of him.

He was like Azhmah Nelson, like: where the hell this guy came from?
        Last edited by STREET CLEANER; 03-18-2018, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Just not enough on the resume for the President, really only one quality win. I guess you can consider Tua a good win as well. Ok Ike is up there, but he's no Jerry Quarry

Comment

Originally posted by clemenza View Post
            How is Jerry Quarry not even on this list. That's a complete embarrassment. Yes jerry quarry fought in the single best era of Heavyweight history and had some brutal defeats " Ali , Frazier, even jimmy elis. Quarry defeated many foes at the top of there game. Patterson still in his prime, ko'd Shavers in 1, Mac Foster 6, Thad spencer in 12, and holds 2 quality decisions over Ron Lyle and a once beaten Buster Mathis . Jerry has some good wins. And that's that!!
            Same with Ken Norton, Gave Ali hell everytime they fought. Gave Holmes hell way past his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by escudo View Post
              Same with Ken Norton, Gave Ali hell everytime they fought. Gave Holmes hell way past his prime.
              Exactly what i was about to say. Not got the deepest resume, but his showings against 2 ATG HWs is very impressive.

Comment

I have to agree with the last 2 posts here," The Fighting Marine" was a great fighter, in fact I think the long layoff hurt Ken before his fight with Holmes, Ken had 3 nice wins in row in 77 and it took 6-7 months before he got a chance at Holmes. Ken holds a strong win over Quarry.

Comment

Tough call between Young and Ike.

Comment

I overlooked some talents, lads, that is for sure. Quarry I completely forgot about. He would have been perfect for this list. If there was an option to change the poll entries, I would do it, but I do not see such an option. One may have been present when I created the poll, but I forgot to exercise it and now it is too late.

If there was a way to scratch this flawed thread and start over, I would do that too. Nelson?

Comment

Working...
                    X