No announcement yet.

Monzon's Greatest Performances?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monzon's Greatest Performances?

I'm looking to see more of Carlos Monzon, but I wanted to ask you guys: which fight was his greatest performance? I've heard good things about this guy, boxing-wise anyway. What would you say?

1. 1977: Rodrigo Valdez II - W-UD-15

2. 1970: Nino Benvenuti I - W-TKO-12

3. 1971: Emile Griffith - W-TKO-14

4. 1974: Jose Napoles - W-RTD-6

5. 1972: Bennie Brisco - W-UD-15

6. 1972: Denny Moyer - W-TKO-5

7. 1975: Tony Licata - W-TKO-10

8. 1974: Tony Mundine - W-KO-7

9. 1972: Jean-Claude Bouttier I - W-TKO-13

10. 1972: Tom Bogs- W-TKO-5

Comment

He rises highest in mythical matchups where the competition is higher to begin with.

Comment

Monzon dropped bombs on fools..
        He looked good doing it...

I'm old, but I saw him devestate putos with one shot..

That's how you do it... Devestate...

Comment

Never saw him put on a bad performance, but imo, it was Griffith who gave him his toughest challenge.. Needed to be at his best, and he was!

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
            Monzon dropped bombs on fools..
            He looked good doing it...

I'm old, but I saw him devestate putos with one shot..

That's how you do it... Devestate...
            A disgrace that arum calls Ramirez the new Monzon.

Comment

Monzon was probably one of the best ring generals of all time, everything was done at his way or you got knocked out.

Comment

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
                Monzon was probably one of the best ring generals of all time, everything was done at his way or you got knocked out.
                That's why I laugh when people like Abel Sanchez rate Golovkin above Monzon.

Comment

In my humble opinion (which it seems I don’t hesitate to give every chance I get) I think Monzon is the GOAT.

Monzon dominates the ATGs of his weight class more than any other fighter, except (maybe) Duran at lightweight.

Direct from of my ass:

Monzon- Basilio - bet Monzon TKO - (He is an entire tier below Monzon.)

Monzon –Burley – bet Monzon UD - (Probably look much like the Griffith and Briscoe fights)

Monzon – Cerdan – bet Monzon KO - (Really don’t know much about him; hold a bias against European records, which is wrong I know).

Monzon – Fitzsimmons - bet Monzon TKO - (on cuts; hard as a coffin nail but tended to take too many punches. Corbett had him ready to go before he landed the famed punch.)

Monzon – Fulmer - bet Monzon KO - (same as Basilio, a level below)

Monzon – Graziano - bet Monzon TKO – (Graziano stopped on his feet eating way too much leather.)

Monzon – Greb – lay off bet - (First time out with Greb, Monzon may have the same problem Tunney did. But like Tunney, if there is a series of fights, Monzon would figure Greb out, and would then dominate the series. But the first fight would be a ‘no bet’ for me.)

Monzon – Hagler - bet Monzon UD/SD - (Monzon’s toughest fight, save Greb. Not as exciting a fight as one would hope. Monzon strong enough to push Hagler off him, Hearns wasn’t; Monzon’s over-hand right would be the difference.)

Monzon – Hearns – lay off bet - (Hearns’ jab scares me, he could steal a SD with it; all the good technicians Monzon fought were shorter than him, Hearns would be eye to eye with him. I don’t like the bet. I have visions of a Hearns-Hill jab fest.)

Monzon – Hopkins - bet Monzon UD - (Like the first time out with Jones, Hopkins would disappoint, satisfying himself with going the distance and refusing to put himself at risk.)

Monzon – Jones Jr. – bet Monzon KO (I have lost faith in Jones chin.)

Monzon – Ketchel – bet Monzon KO (Ketchel would try to brawl and pay for it.)

Monzon – La Motta - bet Monzon UD – (Styles make fights; I don’t consider La Motta superior to Jones, Zale, Ketchel, Walker, or even Graziano for that matter, but Monzon would find La Motta more difficult to hit cleanly. It took SRR 63 rounds to finally stop La Motta; I doubt Monzon would KO him the first time out either. It would be a dominating UD.)

Monzon – Leonard – bet Monzon UD /SD – (I don’t consider Hearns better than Leonard, but Leonard, like Hagler, would eat too many right hands from the taller Monzon.)

Monzon – Robinson - bet Monzon UD - (I don’t think Robinson had enough power at 160 to work his way in to do enough damage; there would be little opportunity to display his speed.)

Monzon – Walker - bet Monzon TKO (Too short, gets pounded with over-hand rights.)

Monzon – Zale - bet Monzon KO – (Good counter puncher but no Charley Burley defensively; would take too many punches.)

Comment

He liked fighting smaller guys, which every other middleweight was, and never looked beyond them to the big boys. He never beat an ATG middleweight, either. Not his fault there were none around right then. Griffith was the best P4P fighter he faced, but was a true welterweight fighting the biggest middleweight champion, and was old besides.

Monzon had real consistency of ring generalship. There were few lapses of concentration. No reason for the plan to vary much. It is almost scary for a fighter to know his business that well.

Comment

Working...
                    X