Forum Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 03-11-2016, 07:48 AM #1
Interim Champion

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
ironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,220.79
Total Points: 9,975.03
Default Ducking, dipping, sliding lower and quicker

Hi there,

Just watching james toney makes me wonder ways other than sparring one can be able to slip, dip and slide quicker? Is it squats? Is it just practicing it shadow boxing? How can you improving your ducking speed? I.e Mike Tyson could duck a punch almost as quickly as throwing a punch
ironalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:58 AM #2
Hittin' the heavy bag.

Quoted: 13814 Post(s)
Redd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,036,990.30
Total Points: 1,097,753.34
Buy another heavy bag, dog. - punchr Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. No Message - stephenmc Cheers to a great poster - Sergey Kovalev Even though I often disagree with you, I still enjoy reading your posts.  Here's a beer. - j0zef 
sit on this, man. it will relax you. best wishes, punchr - punchr No Message - Scott. Weiland Great post, man. - anthonydavid11 Red's all about quality! - BoxingFan85 No Message - Scott. Weiland 
Peace out, brother, I was just clowning around. - !! Anorak Happy Easter and sh*t. - DionysusX Cheers! - anthonydavid11 One Champion. One Face. One Name. - Deontay Wilder LOL - Tony Trick-Pony 
Because you're cool - jaded "no more than 3 replies" dumbass ) - Ogecca MaMa since you think negative of others. f*ck yourself with it - Ogecca MaMa Block this you queer. - denium Stay classy , my friend! - Tony Trick-Pony 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Ogecca MaMa Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironalex View Post
Hi there,

Just watching james toney makes me wonder ways other than sparring one can be able to slip, dip and slide quicker? Is it squats? Is it just practicing it shadow boxing? How can you improving your ducking speed? I.e Mike Tyson could duck a punch almost as quickly as throwing a punch
I had to work a long time on that and it came together for me around the same time I got my hips really working for hooks. If you try using your legs/knees, you'll just hurt yourself. There's a coordination between the shoulders, waist, legs and feet that's generally referred to as "hips" in boxing. It's not just letting gravity drop you but has more to do with how you shift your center of gravity and the push-pull momentum of shifting your weight. It's not something you can just learn, like a punch. It's a type of coordination you develop over months/years of training so stick with it and it will come to you.
Redd Foxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:25 PM #3
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Boxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,453.63
Total Points: 107,206.83
Cheers brother! - Redd Foxx No Message - DionysusX Good poster. Keep it up. - 1bad65 Cheers, bruh!! - Tony Trick-Pony Good threads lately. - GhostofDempsey 

Red Fox is an intelligent poster, basically summed it up and hit it on the head when he said balance and coordination. Also he was 100% correct about hurting your self if you use your legs and knees, look at what happened to Tim Bradley in his first Pac fight and Tim has awesome upper body movement, you have to be very careful. I think where people get confused when training is they try to bend and move their body in un-natural ways. Most of boxing movement is based off natural movement and flow of the body, sure you have un-orthodox guys but they are rarely any good.

Anyways with that said, 2 exercises you can do is tying a rope from ring post to ring post in an X shape and bob and weave with the natural flow of your feet. Also, as a avid runner I hate the tread mill but there are some good uses for it so I would suggest getting on one with a very high incline and walk at a slow pace slipping side to side (hands up) as you step, left foot forward/slip left, right forward/slip right. Itll take a while to get a good balance but once you get that down you can start practicing some more complex movements but it all starts with your balance and coordination.

Btw, shadow boxing is more of a speed exercise & sparring is good for reflexes and confidence, neither exercise will really help (to much) with what you are trying to accomplish.
Boxfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:28 PM #4
Official NSB POTY 2016

Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
LoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,276.84
Total Points: 97,312.44
For May 3rd to celebrate Mayweather's FIRST LOSS!! - Golovkin The LOADED medal!!! A special medal given to LoadedWraps for catching bodies on a daily basis. 1/1 SPECIAL EDITION. - Golovkin Red and Gold is my blood - -jose- A beer for my Comrad! - DonMega Toy my friend!One week  from history! - fundicao 
Guerra Cotto...PRPP..Tu Sabe.. - PRPOWERPUNCHES War Fury - valero Tyson Fury bout to give Wladimir the ol' Pizza Face - Thurman Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. War Fury! - StudentOfDaGame 
Long live the king lol - HughJass No Message - anthonydavid11 that sig pic tho.. - Santa_ LoadedWraps that dude - Mike D Cheers brother! - Bombs Away! 
No Message - anthonydavid11 You're still one of my favorite posters bruh...even when we disagree - Mike D Something to drink during Kovalev-Ward! - mathed 2017 MVP - Mike D !!!! WAR SRISAKET !!!! - badboyz08 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - LoadedWraps Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - punchr 

Quote:
Hi there,

I believe, what you are looking for is this:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=443008

LoadedWraps' first thread.

I tear up just looking at it.
LoadedWraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:45 PM #5
North America Runs Boxing

Quoted: 14122 Post(s)
ShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 313,910.41
Total Points: 360,066.36
excellent posts mate - Alx. good post about Wlad being like Bute - RossCA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA brewed just 4 u - sugarsmosley 
valuable advice to training forum - jas Thanks for the green man,I should have won poster of the year,but the site is in denial.bitches huh ? - Scott-Weiland All in .&w - BERNIE'S CORNER Phone spazzed on gift giving. Can't green ya but have this beer on me. All in good fun ! - BERNIE'S CORNER Easily one of the best posters on the forum - JK1700 
Good thread and comments - maracho A truce - lfc19titles A truce - lfc19titles 

Quote:
Hi there,

Try Tyson squats a.k.a Catskill knee bends.

ShoulderRoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:36 PM #6
Interim Champion

ironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond reputeironalex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
Try Tyson squats a.k.a Catskill knee bends.

Thanks! Nice technique. Thanks everyone for the suggestions but this is what I was more looking for. Technique is good but in order to make the movements quicker I need to build explosive leg/hip speed and this is the type of thing I was looking for
Old 03-14-2016, 04:19 PM #7
Hittin' the heavy bag.

Quoted: 13814 Post(s)
Redd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,036,990.30
Total Points: 1,097,753.34
Buy another heavy bag, dog. - punchr Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. No Message - stephenmc Cheers to a great poster - Sergey Kovalev Even though I often disagree with you, I still enjoy reading your posts.  Here's a beer. - j0zef 
sit on this, man. it will relax you. best wishes, punchr - punchr No Message - Scott. Weiland Great post, man. - anthonydavid11 Red's all about quality! - BoxingFan85 No Message - Scott. Weiland 
Peace out, brother, I was just clowning around. - !! Anorak Happy Easter and sh*t. - DionysusX Cheers! - anthonydavid11 One Champion. One Face. One Name. - Deontay Wilder LOL - Tony Trick-Pony 
Because you're cool - jaded "no more than 3 replies" dumbass ) - Ogecca MaMa since you think negative of others. f*ck yourself with it - Ogecca MaMa Block this you queer. - denium Stay classy , my friend! - Tony Trick-Pony 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Ogecca MaMa Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa 

Quote:
Thanks! Nice technique. Thanks everyone for the suggestions but this is what I was more looking for. Technique is good but in order to make the movements quicker I need to build explosive leg/hip speed and this is the type of thing I was looking for
When working stuff like that, integrate the bob and weave. Do your "Tyson Squat" and roll to the right a little with your shoulders. Come back up and turn into a straight right. On the next one roll to the left as you reach the bottom of the squat and turn into a left hook as you come up. Before you know it, you're instinctually responding with counterpunches after your defensive maneuvers. It's also juts a great exercise that I integrate into my workouts.
Redd Foxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:05 PM #8
Banned

Quoted: 678 Post(s)
DinoCop has a reputation beyond reputeDinoCop has a reputation beyond reputeDinoCop has a reputation beyond reputeDinoCop has a reputation beyond reputeDinoCop has a reputation beyond reputeDinoCop has a reputation beyond reputeDinoCop has a reputation beyond reputeDinoCop has a reputation beyond reputeDinoCop has a reputation beyond reputeDinoCop has a reputation beyond reputeDinoCop has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 3,095.00

Drop yourself and gravity will do it (: just let it down.
DinoCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:55 AM #9
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 3655 Post(s)
AlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,328.82
Total Points: 98,572.74
for being a true ambassador in the training forum - jas Winning hearts/minds of the Loungers - BostonGuy AlexKid is good boy - Willy Wanker WAR Alex da kid! - Hi Rudyo! Lounge MVP - Ruthless One 
Happy New Year.. - !! AI-Holmes!! King Lounge poster - ,GGG The king of comedy - Polarbear XdXdXddddd - Santa_ Its a parallelogram....enjoy it - Spray_resistant 

Quote:
Hi there,

Ducking is 100% skill. Drop, catch yourself. The hard part for a noob is not firing off your thigh muscles as if squatting, which is what you naturally want to do, that will slow you down alot. You can only drop so fast though, butterbean has the fastest duck but the ring cant sustain the g force so you never see him use it.
AlexKid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:16 PM #10
Interim Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKid View Post
Ducking is 100% skill. Drop, catch yourself. The hard part for a noob is not firing off your thigh muscles as if squatting, which is what you naturally want to do, that will slow you down alot. You can only drop so fast though, butterbean has the fastest duck but the ring cant sustain the g force so you never see him use it.
I agree however you're not getting my point. I.e a fat james toney at cruiser still had a lot of skill but at 160 he could duck much quicker. I'm talking about the speed not the technique or awareness. Obviously part of it is to be at a lower weight (from your previous posts that I've seen I know that you're struggling with the weight issue), but there must be other exercises to speed up the movement

Share This With Friends

Tags
dipping, ducking, lower, quicker, sliding