Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you call a boxer who never defended his belts a champion?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you call a boxer who never defended his belts a champion?

I was told you have to defend your belts to become a champion. But there’s a Gypsy Queen/bum out there who supposedly won 3 belts but has never been in a title defence bout.

In all honesty, people need to stop calling Fury a former champion. He won those belts by taking PED and never defended the belts before he was stripped and banned. The Gypsy bum is a bum beater and not a former champion.

If you beat the Lineal Champion it doesn’t matter

Comment

TBF if he wasn't robbed he'd have just defended his WBC title at the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by BangEM View Post
        I was told you have to defend your belts to become a champion. But there’s a Gypsy Queen/bum out there who supposedly won 3 belts but has never been in a title defence bout.

In all honesty, people need to stop calling Fury a former champion. He won those belts by taking PED and never defended the belts before he was stripped and banned. The Gypsy bum is a bum beater and not a former champion.
        I absolutely agree. Just the fact of him being stripped of those titles in my judgement makes his Lineal championship status both null and void.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
          I absolutely agree. Just the fact of him being stripped of those titles in my judgement makes his Lineal championship status both null and void.
          Didn’t Fury pass his VADA tests in beating Klitchko? If he did, he beat Wlad fair and square so you can’t dismiss Lineal. If it didn’t matter, Showtime wouldn’t have made a mockery of themselves selling the Wilder vs Fury fight of Undefeated and Lineal. Ideally Showtime is a Premiere boxing network...

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie2Jabs View Post
            Didn’t Fury pass his VADA tests in beating Klitchko? If he did, he beat Wlad fair and square so you can’t dismiss Lineal. If it didn’t matter, Showtime wouldn’t have made a mockery of themselves selling the Wilder vs Fury fight of Undefeated and Lineal. Ideally Showtime is a Premiere boxing network...
            They sold it because they thought Wilder was going to beat a shot fighter. Bet they're regretting now ESPN has Fury and he schooled Wilder.

Comment

If you win the fight for the belt you get the belt hence you are the champion of that belt. Nothing that says you gotta defend it.

Possession is 9/10ths of the law or w/e that saying is. Belt = Champion. No Belt = No Champion.

Comment

Well buddy,you were told wrong. Look some things up before you feel the need to make a thread about them.

Comment

He beat the former lineal and unified champion straight up. That makes him a champion.

The only question is whether or not you choose to recognize his lineal status at present. Some do because he was never beaten and no replacement champion was crowned, some don't because Fury retired multiple times during his 2 and a half year layoff.

Comment

You’re taking the piss nicely!

Beating a Lineal Champion is a stepping stone for achievement, let alone acquiring more belts in the modern ways of boxing.

Eye test alone, did Fury box Klitchko and Wilder? You just gotta be honest with the eye test.

Comment

Working...
                    X