No announcement yet.

Alcohol Sales Dropped 15% In States With Medical Marijuana Laws

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol Sales Dropped 15% In States With Medical Marijuana Laws

The research for this study made use of available Nielsen Retail Scanner alcohol sales data from 90 alcohol chain stores—grocery, convenience, drug, and mass distribution stores—from 2006-2015. They did it this way because they believed asking consumers does not provide reliable information, as many people simply don’t tell the absolute truth about their alcohol consumption habits.

Using the 90-chain data, the study compared alcohol sales of states that do not have medical marijuana laws and states with medical marijuana laws (before and after the laws were implemented). The researchers also included demographics (age, race) as well as economics (income) for the study because those areas make a measurable impact on alcohol consumption.

Over the ten years studied, counties located in medical marijuana states showed almost a 15 percent reduction in monthly alcohol sales.

The overall conclusion of the study is that marijuana and alcohol are strong substitutes for each other. In other words, they share almost the same audience. If that’s true, then it stands to reason that introducing legal marijuana where alcohol consumption is legal may very well result in a negative effect on alcohol sales.

Medical marijuana is legally sold to a small percentage of overall marijuana users, but this study may be an indicator of what the alcohol industry can expect in states where recreational marijuana laws go into effect that will increase legal access to every adult in the state.

Yup thats why the fought so hard here in NV to stop it. The state ended up allowing the alcohol companies to distribute MJ.

Comment

Originally posted by man down View Post
      Yup thats why the fought so hard here in NV to stop it. The state ended up allowing the alcohol companies to distribute MJ.
      Oh wow that's interesting. I know it's legal out there but I didn't know alcohol companies are distribute it.

This will also hurt the tobacco industry.

Comment

my state has medical but dont have a card.. i actually just bough half an oz of cbd

Comment

I've got no problem with this whatsoever.

You put a bunch of people in a house with too much ganja and what happens, they chill, watch vids, raid the fridge, crash out on the couch.

You put a bunch of people in a house with too much alcohol? ............ there's gonna be a fight.

Comment

This is the same thing happening to big pharma as well. You can see why it's been fought against for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by club fighter View Post

You put a bunch of people in a house with too much ganja and what happens, they chill, watch vids, raid the fridge, crash out on the couch.

You put a bunch of people in a house with too much alcohol? ............ there's gonna be a fight.
              Trust me I know. My family does this every time we get together.

Comment

who the fook wants to get drunk???!!

Comment

Originally posted by .WesternChamp. View Post
                  who the fook wants to get drunk???!!
                  I rather just get high if I had the choice.

Comment

Originally posted by man down View Post
                    Originally posted by JcLazyX210 View Post
                    Oh wow that's interesting. I know it's legal out there but I didn't know alcohol companies are distribute it.

This will also hurt the tobacco industry.
                    not really, cigarettes are one of the very worst addictions. ex smokers have told me its harder to quit than heroin. big tobacco is safe so long as they keep their agressive marketing to young adults and get them addicted quickly before they realize what they're getting into

Originally posted by club fighter View Post

Originally posted by GAME OVER View Post
                    This is the same thing happening to big pharma as well. You can see why it's been fought against for so long.
                    this will hurt big pharma a little at the start but they're getting smart and buying up the cannabis companies. i'm more worried about the future when i think about big pharma, they already have too much control over the population, probably before i'm an old man they will pay back door cory booker or whoever is president to make laws forcing everyone to take meds and protecting the drug companies from the damage caused by side effects, just like with vaccines.

Comment

Working...
                    X