• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jose Luis Castillo is the best example of a gate keeper I can think of

Comment

Yea..... some people here are nowhere near gatekeeper

Comment

Bailey, Miranda, Quintana? These three have fought all kinds of opposition. Bika is one of the better gatekeepers.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          If you are in the top 10 of a weight class, you are not a gatekeeper, let alone top 5.

Gatekeepers are outside of the top 10, journeymen are outside of the outside of the top 10.
          It depends on how you look at things. Gate keeper for a belt then no they aren't. Gatekeeper to stardom then yes they are.

End of the day if you're trying to groom a fighter into being a ppv star the likes of Zab Judah, Kermit Cintron, Cotto, Morales etc. are now gatekeepers. They're a step up in competition but at the same time you'd expect your prize fighter to get passed them, if they don't then they're not at the level required.

Comment

Can someone please explain to me how Cotto is a gatekeeper?? If he loses another fight or two, then fine, I could agree. But anyone who says he's a gatekeeper right now, do you even know what the hell a gatekeeper means?

Comment

Originally posted by boxing is alive View Post
              Can someone please explain to me how Cotto is a gatekeeper?? If he loses another fight or two, then fine, I could agree. But anyone who says he's a gatekeeper right now, do you even know what the hell a gatekeeper means?
              Exactly. Some people on here just hate on the guy due to their own nationalistic beefs, the dude is still a top fighter. A gatekeeper to me is like Mayorga, maybe even Khan. Guys that are entertaining to watch but have an extreme deficiency that stops them from ever truly making their mark on the sport.

Comment

Cotto is a gatekeeper

Comment

Oh, I forgot to mention Margarito.

Comment

Originally posted by pistol whip View Post
                    You people are dumb mentioning pavlik and Cotto they are still Worldclass fighters. This is a gatekeeper! Note the diffrence in skill level people! Edner Cherry!

I don't think Pavlik has been world class for a while now, but I think he's just above gatekeeper level.

Gatekeepers that spring to mind are guys like Edison Miranda. The majority of the now world class super middleweights or prospects looking to get to world level have had to go through these guys. Miranda has Pavlik, Abraham, Bute, Bellew, Ward and Allen Green on his resume.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayweather41-0 View Post
                      Jose Luis Castillo is the best example of a gate keeper I can think of
                      What, right now? Because he was an elite lightweight in his prime.

I think Demarcus Corley is a perfect example. He beats fringe contenders at will, but gets beaten against anyone who's above average.

Comment

Working...
                      X