Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Training in the old days. With PICS (Jack Johnson, Benny Leonard, Battling Nelson etc

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    That wasn't the first solar plexus punch, though.

In English pugilism the solar plexus was called "the mark" and it was common to place an arm across it to defend it or protect it from being hit. When a fighter did that he was said to "bar the mark."

I'm not singling you out and not saying that you do this but....I've noticed people love to say that boxing has evolved and the old timers didn't have good technique yet they don't even know the proper history or what techniques arose at what time.
    Well the shot was the most famous though. Forever in boxing lore.

Comment

Oh, no doubt it was very famous. Just not the first one.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        Well the shot was the most famous though. Forever in boxing lore.
        So your avatar is of Battling Nelson? I only ask because all the pictures I've seen of him look very different.

Comment

That wasn't the first solar plexus punch, though.

In English pugilism the solar plexus was called "the mark" and it was common to place an arm across it to defend it or protect it from being hit. When a fighter did that he was said to "bar the mark."

I'm not singling you out and not saying that you do this but....I've noticed people love to say that boxing has evolved and the old timers didn't have good technique yet they don't even know the proper history or what techniques arose at what time.
          Techniques or concept of the punch dont change as much as the refinement of them . Its not just comparing per type of punch ,boxers move with foot work much more and certainly have greater emphasis on defence then back in the day ,these two factors alone change the dynamics drastically . One main reason fighters look sharper today has to do with proper preperation of actually training for a specific fighter and not fighting run of the mill random guys every 2 weeks or month ,they actually study the opposition now unlike the stone age of yester year with no internet or even a vhs of video foot age to record .Maybe an old reel here and there and news paper to read which is basically useless . Trainers who actually knew what they were doing also was a rarity because the sport was in the learning development phase .Guys like blackburn were almost non existant and actually had to teach and explain what a jab was and does to even guys like Louis . What was considered great boxing then is pretty standard now.
          Last edited by juggernaut666; 05-22-2016, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
            Techniques or concept of the punch dont change as much as the refinement of them . Its not just comparing per type of punch ,boxers move with foot work much more and certainly have greater emphasis on defence then back in the day ,these two factors alone change the dynamics drastically . One main reason fighters look sharper today has to do with proper preperation of actually training for a specific fighter and not fighting run of the mill random guys every 2 weeks or month ,they actually study the opposition now unlike the stone age of yester year with no internet or even a vhs of video foot age to record .Maybe an old reel here and there and news paper to read which is basically useless . Trainers who actually knew what they were doing also was a rarity because the sport was in the learning development phase .Guys like blackburn were almost non existant and actually had to teach and explain what a jab was and does to even guys like Louis . What was considered great boxing then is pretty standard now.
            Did you see the Klitschko-Fury fight? That wouldn't have passed for great boxing back in the old days. They would have been booed right out of Madison Square Garden or Yankee Stadium.

As far as techniques not changing much...we don't have many fighters today who know how to shift or that could throw proper shovel hooks or corkscrew punches.

Comment

Fighters today are trained for the amateurs and professional ranks contrary to "back then" when fighters were taught for self defense. Today, a lot of fighters are taught a points scoring commercial style as to days past where fighters pretty much tried to take each others heads off.

Comment

Did you see the Klitschko-Fury fight? That wouldn't have passed for great boxing back in the old days. They would have been booed right out of Madison Square Garden or Yankee Stadium.

As far as techniques not changing much...we don't have many fighters today who know how to shift or that could throw proper shovel hooks or corkscrew punches.
                So one fight in HW dictates the entire history? Gotcha..and at 40..did you see Ali at about 40 or anyone prior to the 80's or 90's at that age ?How about 38 year old Louis?..how athletic was he? How many punches did that guy taste in comparison and to guys that wouldn't be power punches today?Should I keep posting the punch stats ,until im told not to...in a thread I didn't create? lol.
                Last edited by juggernaut666; 05-22-2016, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
                  Fighters today are trained for the amateurs and professional ranks contrary to "back then" when fighters were taught for self defense. Today, a lot of fighters are taught a points scoring commercial style as to days past where fighters pretty much tried to take each others heads off.
                  That's basically called unrefined...lack of evenly matched guys. you want me to believe guys who just swung and tried to mame eachother are better in ring fighters? sorry its not the case.

Comment

That's basically called unrefined...lack of evenly matched guys. you want me to believe guys who just swung and tried to mame eachother are better in ring fighters? sorry its not the case.
                    I was expressing that it was more of a fight rather than pure boxing. I don't see where they are unrefined, they look pretty solid to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
                      I was expressing that it was more of a fight rather than pure boxing. I don't see where they are unrefined, they look pretty solid to me.
                      "you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink". I really cant sum it much plainer than ive stated above..i'll leave it at that.

Comment

Working...
                      X