Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was klitschko dominance down to a lack of other super heavies?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
    A product of size; both Klitschko's were good, but made to look better because the other 'big' HW's that were around were terrible.

Neither Klitschko deserves to be mentioned in the same bracket as Lennox Lewis. Lewis was far better than both, beat far better opposition and stopped the better brother at his absolute worst.
    Lewis was more complete than Wlad. He actually had an inside game.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      More to do with lack of skill than lack of size. Bryant Jennings was small and still made Wlad look bad. Most of Wlad's worst performances were against smaller fighters. He made mincemeat of the big, slow guys.

Heavyweight was really awful throughout the 2000s, even before the Klitschko dominance began. John Ruiz was a legit contender and beltholder for much of the decade. The division only just started rounding back into shape in the past 3 years or so.
      Jennings showed that Wlad struggles with movement, and lacks an inside game.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
        Lewis was more complete than Wlad. He actually had an inside game.
        He did. In his prime (96-98), he was the complete package.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums! View Post
          I mean back then you almost always saw guys 6'1-6'3 challenging them

Now we have deontay fury and Joshua so it's not like anyone is always going to carry that size advantage

We saw a prime Vitali get stopped by an old lewis and we just saw Wlad struggle badly against a taller opponent who basically just did what Wlad usually does to shorter guys.

BTW I know there were some tall heavies the klitschkos beat but mostly they were unskilled lumoxes I'm talking skilled super heavies
          Actually he was coming back on Lewis and he wasn't knock out he suffered a cut but it's their size and a Prime Vitali would knock out Wilder who has only fought one top 10 fighter so it's still unproven how he will do against the elite Heavyweight division so don't praise Deontay yet if he can beat Jousha, Fury or Ortiz than you could but think he gets beat by those

Comment

We cannot say he fought in the weakest era, the strongest point of the HW era was Louis's & Ali's era.. Rest all were sub par at best.. But you dont go on such a long reign without skills.. Technically Wlad is up there among the greats.. Heart & Chin - not so much.. Vitali had the best chin among HWs that I have seen, never been put down even once or badly wobbled but technically he is quite average.. If Ali's era was 10, I would say Klitscho's era was a 8, Lennox's a 8.5, Marciano's a 7.. The guys know how to use their height & reach & weight.. Throw them in any era & the guys would have been top 3-5 easily..
            They fought the best available in their era & most of them in their prime & undefeated..

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
              Jennings showed that Wlad struggles with movement, and lacks an inside game.
              I guess you missed the Byrd fights and Haye one ....two of the most difficult guys to land on or avoid incoming shots from......Wlad easily dealt with guys no matter what size under Steward barring Peters . Guyslike Brewster and Brock were both tough at the time he fought them ,and boxing is about WHEN you fight someone ....Wlad has dismantled some careers ,his resume is much better than most previous dominant era champions , so using a Lewis is weak it doesn't mean anything really ,theres no one Lewis defeatted that Wlad could not.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                I guess you missed the Byrd fights and Haye one ....two of the most difficult guys to land on or avoid incoming shots from......Wlad easily dealt with guys no matter what size under Steward barring Peters . Guyslike Brewster and Brock were both tough at the time he fought them ,and boxing is about WHEN you fight someone ....Wlad has dismantled some careers ,his resume is much better than most previous dominant era champions , so using a Lewis is weak it doesn't mean anything really ,theres no one Lewis defeatted that Wlad could not.
                Vitali would destroy Wlad inside 4 rounds...

Comment

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
                  Vitali would destroy Wlad inside 4 rounds...
                  The Flash is faster than Quick Silver ...

Comment

No. Vitali could hang with super heavies just fine.

Comment

I don't think Wilder can be compared with Lewis as if they were about equal. Lewis was a very proven fighter who fought the best fighters of his day. He lost 2 fights he shouldn't have lost through carelessness. He avenged both losses. Lewis was a precision boxer who did everything right. His punches were perfect textbook punches. Wilder has fast hands and power but he is a very sloppy fighter. He often throws mile wide telegraphed punches. Sometimes he is throwing punches with both his feet in the air. It's as if nobody ever really taught him how to fight and he wins on raw speed, size and power. That might not be enough when and if he ever fights the top 5 heavyweights of today. I think either of the brothers would have no problem beating Wilder when they were in their prime. He is easy to hit and his chin seems pretty weak.

Comment

Working...
                      X