Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Discussion About 155: Why Are You Supporting it? Are You Against It?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lopetego View Post
    I bet you Floydboys werent outraged when *****ass Floyd defended his 154 crowns at 152 and 147

b-but a-side doe
    Floyd himself was outraged when the WBA did that double title defense BS.

Comment

Personally I'm not really excited at this fight, Canelo hasn't fought a decent middleweight at 160..... We don't know that he could beat a Jacobs, Quillin, Lemieux or even a Stevens for that matter. He doesn't appear to have much power and when you factor in his low punch output then he really has no chance unless the fight is at 155 which Golovkin will struggle to make.

GGG is a full fledged middleweight, forget the rehydration stuff his fans say to make him seem small, he really isn't and I do not believe for one second he could make 154 healthily or atall. The truth is he just keeps himself in good shape and doesn't balloon up in weight between fights. He and his team know this and that is why they won't agree to the 155, It's not about principle or the mando position, if 155 wasn't an issue then this fight would happen, but both sides know Canelo's chances sky rocket at 155.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
        Canelo is the unquestioned biggest draw at 154 and at 160, so he has leeway to dictate terms that are comfortable for him.

When Floyd held the WBA 154 belt and took the WBC belt, Alvarez stood as the junior middleweight star without a full 154 title to pursue.

Solution? fight as close to 154 as technically possible.

Alvarez will go to 160 once he's no longer able to get down to junior middleweight (154+1).
        He could have went after the WBO and IBF belts. Currently there are plenty of belts to pursue at 154.

Comment

I don't support it at all if he decides it's okay to parade around as MW champion at 155, that's a joke. If he doesn't parade around as MW champion and decides to continue fighting at 155 then who cares? He would be practicing something boxers have been doing for as far back as the sport permits.

Comment

Follow my logic here, Canelo is a strange case:

Up until now, in Canelo's case the 155 catchweight didn't really put any of the previous opponents at a disadvantage because they weren't weight-drained, since they were all fighting at 154. So although the catchweight helped Canelo make weight, it didn't actually mean that his opponents were weight-drained meaning they could still perform to the best of their ability.

The problem with a catchweight is when it causes an opponent to be weight-drained so that they're unable to perform at their best ability, as we saw in Floyd vs Canelo or Pacquiao vs Cotto.

GGG would actually be the first fight where the opponent is weight-drained if he was to fight Canelo at a 155 catchweight.

Against Khan of course, it's a whole different scenario because Khan is coming up 8 pounds so he's going to be at a natural disadvantage because it's the first time he's fighting that heavy, and he's fighting one of the perceived best without taking a tune up to acclimatize to the weight.

Comment

I'm a huge Canelo fan. That said, I'm NEVER in agreement with catchweights. We have divisions for a reason. I hate it. I especially hate it when there are titles on the line.

Comment

It's absolutely absurd and has kept me from ever being an Alvarez fan. With this joke of a Khan fight I'm officially a hater and hoping he loses again very soon. I hope Khan somehow pulls it off.

Like you said, catchweights make sense for some fights. They're even fine to use over and over for younger fighters as they gain experience and figure out what weight they should fight at. But a world class fighter like Alvarez? It's pathetic. He can't make 154 and is hiding from middleweights. He's acting like a punk.

Comment

ATM i consider belts to be irrelevant and for CW i have always said its up to the fighter. If they think they can do it, whether for money or belts, then its on them. Boxings only true superstar hangs out at 155. He brings the big money. If you want it then sadly you have to agree to it. Khan went up 2 to fight him and if GGG wants it then he has to come down to it.

Canelo is fighting Khan so heres hoping im wrong if he wins and GBP gives in to the pressure.

Comment

I wouldn't have a problem if there was no title on the line, ggg said anyone from 154 to 168 and canelo fought his previous opponents at the same weight, so ggg will be no different, but since canelo has the titles he needs to defend em at 160 if he is going to fight other mws, its unfair to other mws having to weight even 1lb less than 160...
                    I wont have a problem with ggg if he says no to 155, I will rather watch the fight later on at the full 160 than to watch canelo beat a drained ggg at 155..
                    at some point I believed ggg was able to do 154 with no problem, but after reading the latest reports from his camp I think it was all bs or marketing however you want to call it...

Comment

It's a joke situation. I'm a Canelo fan but it's ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                      X