Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Today's Cotto have beaten El Feroz More Impressively than Tito Did?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If what you state is true, then why is Cotto ranked by even Dan Rafael higher than Tito in the Puerto Rico ATG list? I'll grant you that Tito is the more popular fighter on the island, but that does not mean anything when it comes to actual boxing, in the ring. It's also not as simple as stating that Tito had more explosive power than Cotto (which remains to be seen, as Cotto's career isn't over yet), because power isn't the only factor in deciding a knockout. If you don't set up your punches properly, if you don't outbox your opponent to a degree, the knockout may never come (or come late in Tito's case) no matter how powerful a fighter is. Tito could have finished that fight off early, but those same flaws which were exposed against Hopkins and Wright kept him from doing so. He was an amazing puncher, but not an amazing "boxer" in the set-up use of the word. A lot of the time, his strategy appeared to consist of standing in front of a guy, getting hit, and hoping to land. That hurt him down the road. I doubt today's Cotto would let that fight last that long. Cotto would put his punches together, outbox Vargas, and the knockout would come sooner than Tito's because of it. Tito was a great fighter, but Cotto is superior in the ring. Also, not to throw dirt on Tito, but his career, much like Margarito's, has an asterisk next to it.

Comment

Dig a little deeper.....

As I stated in previous posts on this thread. Tito would KO Cotto. Cotto is too little, man. Vargas would KO Cotto because he is tougher, bigger, and stronger. Size does matter in this sport and nobody knows this better than Cotto. Cotto is not beating Tito and his place in Puerto Rican boxing history is not higher than Tito's. F what DR fat ass says. And let's get this straight. Tito lost to Hopkin's because Hopkin's was cheating on the scales for YEARS. He was a Light Heavy Weight disguised as a Middleweight. It's why Hopkin's beat Hoya as well. It was SIZE more than skill. When Tito fought Wright, he was drained and wasn't taking boxing serious anymore. He got up for Mayorga but not Wright. He blew up too much in between the Mayorga fight and the Wright fight. He lost to Wright but let's not get carried away with either one of those losses. You'll see what SIZE means as soon as Cotto fights a legit 154lber, like Lara or Canelo. If the Canelo fight happens, Cotto gets KO'ed. He is one of my favorite fighters but I'm not a Fanboy. I call it like I see it. He ain't beating Tito, De La Hoya, Vargas, or Canelo. Hell, you could throw in Terry Norris at 154 as well. I guess Cotto beats him, too? Ey? Get out of here, man.

Comment

Originally posted by aldo5408 View Post
        Vargas is one of the most overrated, he shoulda gotten the L vs winky and he lost every time hr fought someone good

vargas was very good fighter. he fought in a solid era. wright, de la hoya, trinidad are hall of famers. winky was a great boxer with a great chin, and oscar and tito had genuinely great left hooks.

he was a capable boxer / stylist with good power. he was also gigantic at 154 lbs. he's several natural weight classes above cotto. vargas was a complete product in his early 20's. cotto was a JWW in his early 20's. for perspective, cotto is only three years younger than vargas. really. look them up.

if they were the same size, i'd take cotto. he's a better overall fighter. still size matters. vargas was a big dude who could bang, and had skills. he'd be much bigger, harder hitting.

the stules are different, but if trout can do it, vargas won't simply be outclassed.

Comment

Originally posted by El Chicano View Post
          Tito vs Fernando was an excellent fight with plenty of "Big Drama Show" and a sensational ending.

Cotto has amazed recently, bringing his power up to 160 lbs. He seems to be reborn under Freddie Roach; it's like he's the new Pacquiao, fighting above his normal weight class and knocking fighters TFO.

I was sitting here watching the Oscar vs Vargas fight and couldn't help but think about how Cotto would've fared against a prime El Feroz.

What you all think?
          Very interesting fight. That fight could have gone either way. Feroz was a big 154 pounder.

It all depends when Cotto fought him. If he fought Fernando pre-Tito then I'd take Fernando by close decision. After Tito, I'd take Cotto by KO.

Tito ruined Feroz.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
            No. He would lose to Vargas. He is not as good as Trinidad and he can do the things Trinidad did. He will lose to Canelo by KO. Cotto is a good fighter but Trinidad was a great fighter. He ruined Vargas who was never as good after Trinidad as he was before Trinidad. I think Vargas would have defeated Oscar if he had fought him before he fought Trinidad. Vargas and Mayorga never took a punch as well after they fought Trinidad. I mean no disrespect to Cotto as he has many great wins. This just my opinion on how these fights would go. Nobody knows for sure until they fight.
            Another Delusional dude, what make u so sure Caneko will KO Cotto??? i mean he don't know how to cut the ring off and he gasses out, he's not even faster than Cotto, plus Cotto power will have effect on Caneko who will not like it and will get fustrate.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
              No. He would lose to Vargas. He is not as good as Trinidad and he can do the things Trinidad did. He will lose to Canelo by KO. Cotto is a good fighter but Trinidad was a great fighter. He ruined Vargas who was never as good after Trinidad as he was before Trinidad. I think Vargas would have defeated Oscar if he had fought him before he fought Trinidad. Vargas and Mayorga never took a punch as well after they fought Trinidad. I mean no disrespect to Cotto as he has many great wins. This just my opinion on how these fights would go. Nobody knows for sure until they fight.
              Originally posted by GOD-FR33 View Post
              As I stated in previous posts on this thread. Tito would KO Cotto. Cotto is too little, man. Vargas would KO Cotto because he is tougher, bigger, and stronger. Size does matter in this sport and nobody knows this better than Cotto. Cotto is not beating Tito and his place in Puerto Rican boxing history is not higher than Tito's. F what DR fat ass says. And let's get this straight. Tito lost to Hopkin's because Hopkin's was cheating on the scales for YEARS. He was a Light Heavy Weight disguised as a Middleweight. It's why Hopkin's beat Hoya as well. It was SIZE more than skill. When Tito fought Wright, he was drained and wasn't taking boxing serious anymore. He got up for Mayorga but not Wright. He blew up too much in between the Mayorga fight and the Wright fight. He lost to Wright but let's not get carried away with either one of those losses. You'll see what SIZE means as soon as Cotto fights a legit 154lber, like Lara or Canelo. If the Canelo fight happens, Cotto gets KO'ed. He is one of my favorite fighters but I'm not a Fanboy. I call it like I see it. He ain't beating Tito, De La Hoya, Vargas, or Canelo. Hell, you could throw in Terry Norris at 154 as well. I guess Cotto beats him, too? Ey? Get out of here, man.
              Caneko couldn't KO a shot mosley but he is going to KO Cotto??? HAHAHA give me a break!

Comment

What?

Originally posted by PrBoxing88 View Post
                Caneko couldn't KO a shot mosley but he is going to KO Cotto??? HAHAHA give me a break!

And??? Who KO's Mosley? He beat Mosley's ass! That's all that matters. Furthermore, Canelo is approaching his prime as we speak. He's tougher than Cotto. He WILL KO Cotto. Who do you think Cotto is, man? He's one of my favorites as well but I ain't stupid. I know that the Cotto I've been seeing isn't fighting PRIME opponents. Canelo is fast, strong, and tough. He will break Cotto down and show that size matters.

Comment

Personally, I believe Cotto beats Canelo, even if Canelo is the bigger man. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

vargas before Tito seemed to take the better punch and I think he had better power. plus he's the naturally bigger man. On the other side tho he's not as defensively aware as cotto or as good a boxer. Seems like a pick em fight. If Vargas can get to cotto early he might stop him though.

Comment

Originally posted by GOD-FR33 View Post
                      And??? Who KO's Mosley? He beat Mosley's ass! That's all that matters. Furthermore, Canelo is approaching his prime as we speak. He's tougher than Cotto. He WILL KO Cotto. Who do you think Cotto is, man? He's one of my favorites as well but I ain't stupid. I know that the Cotto I've been seeing isn't fighting PRIME opponents. Canelo is fast, strong, and tough. He will break Cotto down and show that size matters.
                      But he's incredibly flat footed and cotto's good at darting in and out with combinations. Plus he's gonna give it to Canelo's body like no one has before and if Saul still has gassing problems that could spell bad news.

Comment

Working...
                      X