No announcement yet.

Ariza: "Manny has completely changed his mental approach to the fight"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
    The two grew so differently that you can't compare them. Nearly all of us have the same starting point. How we get to the next point is anyone's guess. In Manny's case he was in the lower divisions for much, much longer. I never got that comparison between Floyd and Manny.

Anyway, Manny's been training in the 150's for a while now. It's clear he is not only a full-fledged welter but a pretty strong one as well. I don't see a single advantage for Shane.
    I didn't compare them to a point of concluding that they're the same but only referring to the "moving up on weight" that is all, no more - no less. But back to their physical frame, Floyd Jr, can still go up a bit more because he is simply taller and can beef up a bit more....such as the 154+ weight class, the JR MIDDLEWEIGHT.

As with the training with the 150s, yes it's a methodology for Pacquiao and his camp to train in a higher weight and gradually peak at mid 145s (give or take a couple of pounds). I think it is smart so that it is gradual...

I believe in catchweights too but that's besides the point of this thread's topic of his mental approach.

And so his mental approach, is more discipline.....that is even more telling than just the weight factor in the way he is treating his fights. I believe that this can still go towards longevity in taking care of business and fight up to 3 more years.

Comment

Originally posted by fabie View Post
      I didn't compare them to a point of concluding that they're the same but only referring to the "moving up on weight" that is all, no more - no less. But back to their physical frame, Floyd Jr, can still go up a bit more because he is simply taller and can beef up a bit more....such as the 154+ weight class, the JR MIDDLEWEIGHT.

As with the training with the 150s, yes it's a methodology for Pacquiao and his camp to train in a higher weight and gradually peak at mid 145s (give or take a couple of pounds). I think it is smart so that it is gradual...

I believe in catchweights too but that's besides the point of this thread's topic of his mental approach.

And so his mental approach, is more discipline.....that is even more telling than just the weight factor in the way he is treating his fights. I believe that this can still go towards longevity in taking care of business and fight up to 3 more years.
      Both could beat people at 154, but I don't see either as a true junior middle. In his prime, Floyd could get no higher than 150 for Oscar.

Comment

Manny's a full blown, strong welter and Shane is in for a shock.
        He just put it out there didn't he? And we've been saying this for ages and been chewed up for it. Manny's NOT so small at all!

So, he only drops down to the 140's the week prior to the fight, which means he hangs around 150-155 lbs..

To take this even further, who knows since when he has "hidden" his true size, AND stipulating catchweights at the same time, thus gaining even further advantage. 1) physical and 2) mental (through providing apparently false information thus creating completely false expectations in his challenger)
        Last edited by Hallaqsillaq; 04-06-2011, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallaqsillaq View Post
          He just put it out there didn't he? And we've been saying this for ages and been chewed up for it. Manny's NOT so small at all!

So, he only drops down to the 140's the week prior to the fight, which means he hangs around 150-155 lbs..
          Yep - in other words, he does what every other welter does. They did tell us this before the Clottey bout.

Comment

Both could beat people at 154, but I don't see either as a true junior middle. In his prime, Floyd could get no higher than 150 for Oscar.
            Points well taken...but relatively speaking due to their physical frame, Floyd Jr can still go higher than 150 and we all know that.

But he doesn't need to, that's the thing too. He can do whatever he wants, that's his prerogative but it is just sad that he isn't fighting as much nor challenging "bigger people" to really prove his "greatness".

As a fan of his superlative skills I am really disappointed. But back to the topic, Pacquiao at least tried Margarito though it is a "safe" or rather "safer" thing with Margarito though defeating someone by over 17 pounds is not an easy feat nevertheless.

This thread's topic on Pac's mental approach though is something that all greats have - this is good for the sport.

Comment

Yep - in other words, he does what every other welter does. They did tell us this before the Clottey bout.
              Can we agree to put the nail in the coffin of the "Manny's a small welter!" bull****?

He's short, not small.

Comment

Originally posted by fabie View Post
                Points well taken...but relatively speaking due to their physical frame, Floyd Jr can still go higher than 150 and we all know that.

But he doesn't need to, that's the thing too. He can do whatever he wants, that's his prerogative but it is just sad that he isn't fighting as much nor challenging "bigger people" to really prove his "greatness".

As a fan of his superlative skills I am really disappointed. But back to the topic, Pacquiao at least tried Margarito though it is a "safe" or rather "safer" thing with Margarito though defeating someone by over 17 pounds is not an easy feat nevertheless.

This thread's topic on Pac's mental approach though is something that all greats have - this is good for the sport.
                You can't use "physical frame" as a point of reference. Using physical frame Yohnny Perez should be at 140-147. Same with Caballero.

Comment

You can't use "physical frame" as a point of reference. Using physical frame Yohnny Perez should be at 140-147. Same with Caballero.
                  Yep, simple example, my cousin is 6'0'' and weighs 135 lbs... no matter how much that bastard eats he does not go up. I'm the same (in that I can't gain weight) but I stay at 148-152 at 5'9"...

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
                    Roach said best camp since ODH and now its since Cotto , Konz will put out in a day or 2 saying best since Hatton .
                    You do know they're 2 completely diff people with 2 different opinions right? This dude just reaching for stuff to hate on...

Comment

Well PHYSICAL FRAME and WEIGHT are the points of reference in any boxing match. But fighters are not forced to fight beyond their comfort zones. I didn't say that Floyd SHOULD go up, I said he should challenge bigger people and can still go up.

This is where catchweights come into the scene to have a compromise between two fighters.

There's no such thing as someone is being drained, it is VOLUNTARY and contractual/mutual inorder to have a middle ground. With Pacquiao he has been acclimating very good as a welterweight for awhile now (fighting weight not usual weight).

Comment

Working...
                      X