Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google’s Android is not about creating a great mobile platform or devices

Google’s Android is not about creating a great mobile platform or devices
    Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 12:53 PM EST
    "Google is building Android not so they can make great mobile devices and sell them to consumers," Kyle Baxter writes for TightWind. "Rather, they are making them for these two simple reasons: (1) to disrupt Apple’s growing dominance of mobile devices, both so Google doesn’t have to rely on Apple for access to their users and to eliminate their paid-for application model; and (2) so Google can control the mobile industry and thus secure advertising from it."

"This helps explain some puzzling moves by Google. For example, Android’s market may not be terrible in comparison to Apple’s App Store for paid applications just because Google hasn’t yet finished it; rather, discouraging paid applications on the Android platform is in Google’s interest," Baxter writes. "If users won’t pay for applications, what will developers use to make money from their applications? Advertising. And Google conveniently owns one of the largest mobile advertising providers, Admob."

"Moreover, why would Google be so willing to empower network providers by giving them so much control over Android?" Baxter asks. "Because it means wider adoption of Android, and as more Android-based devices flood the market, the hardware manufacturers themselves are increasingly irrelevant. As Android spreads, and the differences between different devices decrease as a result, there will be less competitive differentiation between manufacturers—consumers will, like they do in the PC market, shop based more on price than on who makes the device. At that point, hardware will be commoditized, and building a mobile device business based on a different OS than Android will be incredibly difficult. Profit potential will shift from selling actual devices (where margins will be small) to providing services for those devices—quite convenient for Google, who’s in the business of making web services and providing advertising."

Baxter writes, "Android isn’t an attempt to build the best mobile platform and sell it on its merits; it’s a play to control the vast majority of the mobile market, secure eyeballs for Google advertising and eliminate any threat to Google."

Full article - highly recommended http://www.tightwind.net/2011/01/and...bile-platform/
    Last edited by COVID-19; 01-05-2011, 09:03 PM.

I wasn't sure whether to get an iphone or a blackberry. What do you recommend?

brand cheerleaders!

Comment

So umm... are there any facts in this article?

Also, I hope you're an Apple employee. Otherwise you're really pathetic. You go to battle for Apple more than some diehard lifelong sports fans.

Comment

I need a new phone, anyone got any recommendations?

Don't get all faggot on me tho'.

Comment

Originally posted by Subtraction View Post

well first off it would help to let us know what company u have.

Comment

I have mytouch slide, pretty cool phone does everything i need it to do. apps are good cause most of the good ones are all free.

Comment

Originally posted by Subtraction View Post

There was a bunch of cool stuff announced today.

Check out bgr.com or engadget.com to see what's going to be available in about a month.

Comment

Originally posted by ƒallenloki View Post
                So umm... are there any facts in this article?

Google give android away for free to manufacturers. How do you think they make money from it?

They were recently caught "accidentally" stealing information from wifi signals while collecting images for google street view in several countries; they are a very shady company, and people will still buy a mobile phone with their copycat OS on.

Google is a company that makes money from data mining and selling ads, this is not a company interested quality products, only in what data they can extract from them.

Just the fact that they had to steal IP from Apple and several other companies in the first place shows how low they will go.

Anyone who buys into android devices will just have to find out the hard way.

Comment

Android is about creating an accessible, affordable, and open operating system for a large amount of available handsets.

The problem with the iphone is that it isn't accessible or affordable to the majority of consumers. Not when there are other handsets out there that do comparatively the same job as the iphone (if not more) and cost much less.

When you buy an iphone your paying for the Apple logo. It's a great handset, and it does the job it says it does, but it doesn't do a lot that other mobiles can't do.

I'm happy you like your phone so much, but don't tell other people that their phone choice is the wrong decision. Not everyone wants to pay over the odds for a mobile that can be matched spec for spec and for a lot cheaper. The pretentiousness of Apple products and their fans is what turns me off them.

Comment

I'll take whichever is cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                    X