Complete Beginner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete Beginner

Awright everyone!
    Complete newbie here, just wondering really how to 'stand my ground' in a fight. I have a punchbag, not sure if its big or not as i dont know the avergae size etc, and would just like to know the very basics to boxing.
    Never really thought about it before, but recentely got ap unchbag and just want to know how to use it properly, dont want to just aimlessly punch at it, i want to know proper stance, one-twos....

So, is there anyone that can give me a hand? Like any links to articles or videos that would help?
    Also i do a strength workout 3 times a week, so when would be best to do punchbag workouts ?

Thanks in advance.

this should help you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai5te...eature=related

Comment

You'd be best off going to a good gym and doing proper training with a boxing trainer.

Even if all you want to do with boxing is learn self-defence. Because the major value of boxing as a mode of self-defence is what you get from the full contact aspect of it -sparring. Learning how to take a punch, evade, punch back effectively, and to keep a cool head in a hectic situation.

Boxing is actually terrific for learning how to stay calm. Because so many times in the gym or the ring, you are in tough situations and under lots of pressure. I am great at staying calm now in real life situations.

Comment

Cheers for the video ill have a good look at that.

And thanks for the advice one more round. Could possiblly look into going to a gym and learning from a boxing trainer, seems very interesting.

Just wondering also, what does punching a punchag improve? Speed, power? Or both?

Comment

hi m8. you realy need to get to a boxing gym. you cant realy teach yourself this stuff. im quite new. only been boxing 2 months but its bloody hard. id been boxing at home for 6 months with what i thought was great form. turns out i had a **** ton of bad habbits. also the thing i have learn through boxing is how vunerable you are in a real fight. i have a prety powerful straight right, but when it gets to sparing it is real hard to land because when someone is raining down punches on you you kinda forget what to do.

Comment

Yeah, ill need to find out areas in my town that do boxing.
            Just wondering though, what i could do myself at home on the punchbag? Like are there different types of workouts or what ?

Comment

you can for exercise but not to gain any form of experience of fighting that will ever help. for fitness do rounds of 3 mins then a min rest. try stringing together combos and stuff. start slow and speed it up keeping proper form and doing the correct footwork. practice moving in and out of range quickly.

Comment

also as a reminder. have your condition checked first before goin to gym for training. i wouldnt like you to waste time and money, spending more rest than work out in a boxing gym.

Comment

Originally posted by led View Post
                  also as a reminder. have your condition checked first before goin to gym for training. i wouldnt like you to waste time and money, spending more rest than work out in a boxing gym.
                  How would you know if you're properly conditioned to go to train in a boxing gym?

Comment

chances are you arent. might as well go though. just work on conditioning as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X