No announcement yet.

In the Ring series of books by Adam Pollack

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the Ring series of books by Adam Pollack

Does anyone here own or have read the In the Ring series of books by Adam J Pollack ? Thoughts ?

These are comprehensive books that have received very good reviews.I have In the Ring with Jim Jeffries and it's excellent.Would like to acquire more but they are kind of pricey.

John L Sullivan
    James J Corbett
    Bob Fitzsimmons
    Jim Jeffries
    Jack Johnson Part 1
    Jack Johnson Part 2

While on the subject,are there any other books that cover the time period of the late 1800's through the early 1900's that anyone here would recommend ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by LITTLE JOE; 08-08-2019, 03:26 PM.

Originally posted by LITTLE JOE View Post
    Does anyone here own or have read the In the Ring series of books by Adam J Pollack ? Thoughts ?

These are comprehensive books that have received very good reviews.I have In the Ring with Jim Jeffries and it's excellent.Would like to acquire more but they are kind of pricey.

John L Sullivan
    James J Corbett
    Bob Fitzsimmons
    Jim Jeffries
    Jack Johnson Part 1
    Jack Johnson Part 2

While on the subject,are there any other books that cover the time period of the late 1800's through the early 1900's that anyone here would recommend ?
    Thanks in advance.
    - -Sure they're all good, but JL and Fitz the two most dynamic fighters I'd be interested in.

Comment

John L Sullivan
      James J Corbett
      Bob Fitzsimmons
      Jim Jeffries
      Jack Johnson Part 1
      Jack Johnson Part 2

Thanks in advance.
      Unforgivable Blackness its a GREAT book(and 3hr doc) about Johnson who had the biggest set of balls in history in or out of ring. I read Pollack's book on The Great John L, but thought "John l Sullivan and his America" by Mike Isenberg was much better. Been meaning to get his book about Jeffries, but have not done so yet. I think his intention wa to write a book on all the Heavys, but now it seems he has stalled not sure books on some of these guys will sell to anyone but the "hard core" fans.
      Last edited by john l; 08-09-2019, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by john l View Post
        Unforgivable Blackness its a GREAT book(and 3hr doc) about Johnson who had the biggest set of balls in history in or out of ring. I read Pollack's book on The Great John L, but thought "John l Sullivan and his America" by Mike Isenberg was much better. Been meaning to get his book about Jeffries, but have not done so yet. I think his intention wa to write a book on all the Heavys, but now it seems he has stalled not sure books on some of these guys will sell to anyone but the "hard core" fans.
        I just checked this one out at the library and will start reading it this weekend :
        Strong Boy: The Life and Times of John L. Sullivan, America's First Sports Hero.
        I'm pretty sure I had read this one years ago but always nice to read again for a refresher.Come to think of it, Pollack also wrote books about Tommy Burns and Marvin Hart. I had forgotten about those.
        Last edited by LITTLE JOE; 08-09-2019, 01:46 PM.

Comment

I just checked this one out at the library and will start reading it this weekend :
          Strong Boy: The Life and Times of John L. Sullivan, America's First Sports Hero.
          I'm pretty sure I had read this one years ago but always nice to read again for a refresher.Come to think of it, Pollack also wrote books about Tommy Burns and Marvin Hart. I had forgotten about those.
          Yea I think how those books sold(Burns and esp Hart) has stopped him from writing about ALL the heavy champs. TBH I'm a huge boxing nut, but they are more then a few I want to read before one on Hart whose claim as champ comes with a pretty big *. Jeffries after he retired(1st time) picked the two guys to fight for his title and it was Hart and I believe a guy named Jack Root(I could be wrong on name). Hart won, but was not fully recognized as most thought Burns was best at time( best white guy anyways). Really Burns was behind a few Black fighters like Langford,Jeanette,Mcvey and maybe even"Denver" Ed Martin and of course Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by john l View Post
            Yea I think how those books sold(Burns and esp Hart) has stopped him from writing about ALL the heavy champs. TBH I'm a huge boxing nut, but they are more then a few I want to read before one on Hart whose claim as champ comes with a pretty big *. Jeffries after he retired(1st time) picked the two guys to fight for his title and it was Hart and I believe a guy named Jack Root(I could be wrong on name). Hart won, but was not fully recognized as most thought Burns was best at time( best white guy anyways). Really Burns was behind a few Black fighters like Langford,Jeanette,Mcvey and maybe even"Denver" Ed Martin and of course Johnson.
            I do believe it was Jack Root.
            Speaking of books.Have you read any of The Ring Record Book and Boxing Encyclopedia's ? I have one from 1979 and do enjoy taking a look at it every once in awhile. The first time I'd even heard of these books was years ago via the first Rocky movie. It was the part when Apollo Creed was looking at one of these books to find an opponent when original opponent Mack Lee Green had to back out of the fight that subsequently went to Rocky : ) LOL ! A few years ago I was watching Rocky and told myself I have to get one of those so I did an Amazon search and found the 1979 record book for like 5 dollars. Some of the older ones fetch a high price.I'm glad I have one.

Comment

I do believe it was Jack Root.
              Speaking of books.Have you read any of The Ring Record Book and Boxing Encyclopedia's ? I have one from 1979 and do enjoy taking a look at it every once in awhile. The first time I'd even heard of these books was years ago via the first Rocky movie. It was the part when Apollo Creed was looking at one of these books to find an opponent when original opponent Mack Lee Green had to back out of the fight that subsequently went to Rocky : ) LOL ! A few years ago I was watching Rocky and told myself I have to get one of those so I did an Amazon search and found the 1979 record book for like 5 dollars. Some of the older ones fetch a high price.I'm glad I have one.
              No I don't have one, I do have those little RING record books from the 90s and a complete set of THE RING from 84 to present. I do have a few Fight Fax records books which are pretty cool they also have the phone numbers to the promo company's and big gyms like WILD CARD. I would like to get a set, that's cool you have one.

Comment

I think Pollack's a bit of a propagandist myself.

Go to the source material. No reason to buy books, that's their opinion of the source material. Just take a pic of his sources and follow his research. You will learn what he omitted. Usually, it's quite a lot.

Comment

Working...
                X