Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slipping Punches

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautiful work here which is why he's one of the best right now I think...

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
      This was pretty cool...gotta love that pivot...

[IMG][/IMG]
      His attention to detail is 2nd to none as far as YouTube goes. It’s pretty rare that a legit world class trainer would take the time to post videos.

Comment

Defensive brilliance....

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Real King Kong View Post
          His attention to detail is 2nd to none as far as YouTube goes. It’s pretty rare that a legit world class trainer would take the time to post videos.
          Oh I'm gonna soak them up. Haha. Thanks for letting me know!

Comment

Oh I'm gonna soak them up. Haha. Thanks for letting me know!
            There’s another dude named coach Anthony who posts some decent stuff too. He actually co trains tevin farmer.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
              I strongly disagree with that. The alternatives (blocking our getting hit) drain a hell of a lot more energy. Slipping is not very demanding and you'll see guys doing it even when not being punched. If a guy is fatiguing from slipping he's not rolling correctly and it involving the core far too much.

Regarding the subject, slipping is probably my favorite area of study in the sport behind footwork. I really appreciate fighters that use an economy of motion and barely move to avoid a punch. These guys tend to be the most under appreciated. Canelo and Ward are two who are really strong in this area and never got much credit (though Canelo does get credit these days).
              Well that still means we can agree that slipping punches consistently and effectively must take rare skill, reflexes, talent, training. In my opinion I see more people get hit often, or use high guard, block punches, or that are a human punching bag, compared to what I’d call a “slick” fighter by a long shot. It has to be something that just isn’t easy for most fighters as u don’t see it often. Still anytime someone gets dead tired in there u know because they stop slipping punches and just protect themselves. A tired fighter doesn’t lean against the ropes and bob and weave. He doesn’t have the energy to do that. He puts on his ear muffs. Rope a dope for example. I know what ur saying, but standing still and blocking punches is not the same drain on ur cardio as excreting actual energy. Course there’s all different body types. I mean there’s no way slipping punches uses less energy than blocking for a guy like George. I’m sure slipping is the best for as long as u can do it, but eventually getting out of the way of a punch becomes hardest of all. These are my excuses. Honestly it’s the one thing I woulda loved to been great at.

Comment

Beautiful work here which is why he's one of the best right now I think...

[IMG][/IMG]
                Artistry there, man. There's no doubt Canelo's among the best in the game at this moment in time. I'm not sure about all this technical stuff you keep posting though, man... folk might start thinking this is a boxing forum or something.

Ha nah actually I really appreciate this kinda stuff. Since I never pursued boxing beyond a basic level (my prideful dumb young ass didn't like getting beat up by kids half my size and besides I just had other stuff going on) my grasp on the nuance of technique is weak in a lot of areas. I kinda know enough to appreciate the difficulty of what's being done but if it ain't actually pointed out there's still a lot of stuff I miss. Course I picked up a lotta stuff in the 9 years or so since I became what I guess you'd call a hardcore fan, but there's always more to learn, specially when it comes down to the details of ringcraft.

Good to see you over your new Years blues though, man... Oh and I forget, did I ever get round to inviting you onto the Pick Em this year? Got a feeling I mighta done but I couldn't remember for sure... anyways you'd be more than welcome if you wanted to.
                Last edited by Citizen Koba; 02-05-2020, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Oh Duran was masterful in that fight. Barkley was much bigger and most likely stronger, too, but Duran neutralized that for the most part and dropped him and everything. Not bad for a 37-year-old former lightweight champion. I think you're right about Canelo, too. His slipping is exceptional. When you can be so close and make them miss, you can make them pay bad, as Canelo does and Duran often did.
                  Yeah, u can’t commit to throwing a hard punch and be at ur best to absorb one at the same time. That’s why a sucker punch, or as far as boxing goes the punch u don’t see is so effective. I know Kovalev was throwing the jab vs Nelo, but it was in a defensive style as opposed to offensive. Kovalev looked nervous to exchange with Nelo. Easy to criticize but he’s the pro in there. He was doing as good as he coulda hoped on the cards, but he got wobbled and Nelo finishes him in a blink. So I get it. If only he coulda kept it for 12 rounds. Nelo used less slipping in that fight, but his guard was good and he was facing a retreating jab. Does anyone else think he might not fight this may 5th?

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Koba View Post
                    Artistry there, man. There's no doubt Canelo's among the best in the game at this moment in time. I'm not sure about all this technical stuff you keep posting though, man... folk might start thinking this is a boxing forum or something.

Ha nah actually I really appreciate this kinda stuff. Since I never pursued boxing beyond a basic level (my prideful dumb young ass didn't like getting beat up by kids half my size and besides I just had other stuff going on) my grasp on the nuance of technique is weak in a lot of areas. I kinda know enough to appreciate the difficulty of what's being done but if it ain't actually pointed out there's still a lot of stuff I miss. Course I picked up a lotta stuff in the 9 years or so since I became what I guess you'd call a hardcore fan, but there's always more to learn, specially when it comes down to the details of ringcraft.

Good to see you over your new Years blues though, man... Oh and I forget, did I ever get round to inviting you onto the Pick Em this year? Got a feeling I mighta done but I couldn't remember for sure... anyways you'd be more than welcome if you wanted to.
                    Yeah, man. I guess I'm beyond the politics and talking and bull****. When you keep it about technique and actualy what goes on in the ring, it's much more pleasant on here and I actually learn things. I still like to cut up too, of course. Haha. Trying not to take things too seriously which is part of what led the winter blues imo.

Oh I don't have that much knowledge either but I'm learning. I've been watching a lot of hockey which I love and the commentators often just call the game. I wish boxing did that but while I love fights, the sport is ran like ****. I'd love to see more organization but in the mean time, we can always talk about the fights and what we see, instead he said she said crap or who's in jail or promoters and purses and contracts and all the non-boxing stuff. I just can't even act like I care about that. Haha.

And yeah, I'll be happy to join. Sounds like fun! I didn't realize who you were at first since you changed your name and avi but I've got you now. Haha. Always love chatting with you, my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Blond Beast View Post
                      Yeah, u can’t commit to throwing a hard punch and be at ur best to absorb one at the same time. That’s why a sucker punch, or as far as boxing goes the punch u don’t see is so effective. I know Kovalev was throwing the jab vs Nelo, but it was in a defensive style as opposed to offensive. Kovalev looked nervous to exchange with Nelo. Easy to criticize but he’s the pro in there. He was doing as good as he coulda hoped on the cards, but he got wobbled and Nelo finishes him in a blink. So I get it. If only he coulda kept it for 12 rounds. Nelo used less slipping in that fight, but his guard was good and he was facing a retreating jab. Does anyone else think he might not fight this may 5th?
                      Yeah, I didn't understand why Kovalev fought how he did. Very tentative. Canelo was the aggressor but the shorter man often is. It was an interesting fight with a sensational ending. Really can't complain. Not sure about May 5. I hope it's a better opponent than Murata. Haha. I don't see Canelo being challenged there at all, but this is boxing. You never know...

Comment

Working...
                      X