Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to put an end to the "Manny put Cotto at a disadvantage with the weight.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

147 to 145, 2 pounds, get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by larry x View Post
      so????why did they demand "145"???why not just fight at 147???there had to be a certain reason for this..
      they didn't demand 145.

roach asked for 143.

cotto said 145.

Comment

Originally posted by CoLd_WaVE View Post
        agree with Roach being a *****, taking all advantages as much as possible... but stipulating a catchweight and deliberately not making it a ***** move as well...

just my 2 cents...
        Mayweather never planned on making 144 from the start. He said "This is a WW fight". Marquez wasn't weakend and no one was hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
          they didn't demand 145.

roach asked for 143.

cotto said 145.
          and it was negotiated for "nothing", "no reason at all"

Comment

Like Shawn Porter said, the catchweight wasn't to gain a physical advantage over Cotto, but a mental one. I agree with that entirely, because once you get the opponent playing to your rules it plants a seed of doubt in their mind. This is why I was so insistent on Pacquiao not signing to fight Mayweather for anything less than 50-50. Not even 49.9999999% is good enough.

The Cotto fight was all about psychological warfare, not only in the fight itself, but mostly in the buildup. Roach predicts a first round KO. What happens? Anything but. Instead, Pacquiao appears ineffective (deception) and gives away the first round or two to lull Cotto into a false sense of security in order to open him up, get him to commit, then punish his flaws.

So there's three things that to me are blatantly all about gaining a mental advantage:

* Catchweight. Only a pound less than what Cotto came in for against Clottey, but it was enough to get Cotto to playing by their rules.

* First round KO prediction, which led to...

* Doing the exact opposite and giving away the first round.

"All warfare is based on deception." ~ Sun Tzu

Lastly...

"Its no concern of mine whether it is 145 pounds or not," Cotto said.

"That is the usual weight that we cut down to for the weigh in, and in the ring—on fight night—I will go up eight to 10 pounds, so actually during the fight I will weigh around 155," stated Cotto.
            Hopefully this quote goes some way towards squashing the myth that Team Pacquiao put rehydration restrictions on fighters. That **** is unheard of in boxing as far as know, and I truly don't believe Team Pacquiao have ever capped the weight an opponent is allowed to rehydrate to.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Comment

Cotto was shot. Weight drained.

1 pound is a big difference and if it wasn't, why bother with a catchweight to begin with?

I thought Cotto was prime before the fight, but after seeing how his body looked in the first round, he looked way thinner than usual so it was obvious the catchweight helped drain him.

FFS he started training for the fight back in July, lol....

If anything he was overtrained. Maybe that was the point of the catchweight all along.

To have Cotto leave it all in the gym.

Comment

Originally posted by Dondi33O View Post
                and it was negotiated for "nothing", "no reason at all"
                there was no point in it but everyone tries to ask for what they can get.

it's a part of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Bloke View Post
                  1 pound is a big difference and if it wasn't, why bother with a catchweight to begin with?
                  How is it a big difference? Eat one less pizza? Big deal. Cotto stated he boils down to 145 anyway. Also his doctors said he's fine at that weight, and that he should try to avoid going lower than 144 if possible.

Personally I ain't ever saw Cotto look as good as he did, the dude was ripped and looked very healthy with it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Bloke View Post
                    Cotto was shot. Weight drained.

I thought Cotto was prime before the fight, but after seeing how his body looked in the first round, he looked way thinner than usual so it was obvious the catchweight helped drain him.

FFS he started training for the fight back in July, lol....

If anything he was overtrained. Maybe that was the point of the catchweight all along.

To have Cotto leave it all in the gym.

anyways......

i was ****ting bricks after the 1st round.

a lot of guys who bet on pac was a little worried after seeing the 1st round.

cotto looked good.

Comment

Originally posted by TortillaWarrior View Post
                      Come get some suckers.

Come and get some!

You cant and the facts are Manny made Cotto fight at 145 for a 147 belt and please dont come give me the BS about how a WW fight is suppose to be 141-147.

And another thing is Manny would have beaten cotto the same even if he was allowed to weigh 147, But the facts was he didnt fight Cotto at 147 and that for me put a little bit of damp on the whole issue.
                      Last edited by Ray*; 12-19-2009, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X