No announcement yet.

Jimmy Young's tactics

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy Young's tactics

First off, I think Young is one of the most underrated heavyweights ever. His resume is quite solid with most of his notable losses being very close fights. He was very slick, tough and had great stamina.

With that said I cannot appriciate the way he would duck into the ropes to avoid his opponents rally. He did this against Ali quite a few times and it really disrupted his rhythm and imo got him out of some bad spots against an aggressive Ali who was just about to pour it on during those moments. That's why I do not buy any of the robbery claims on that fight and I feel he deserved to lose regardless because he should have been deducted several points for doing what he did.

Against Foreman he only did this once or twice so he did win that one fair and square, amazing that he survived the 7th round and was throwing and landing back hard soon after getting hurt. Amazing knockdown in the 12th to seal the win too.

Your thoughts on him as a fighter and the Ali fight, specifically the things I mentioned?

Young re-exposed Foreman. I just re-watched that fight. If you could move a bit, slip the haymakers and throw a good right hand, you could beat Foreman.

Comment

Ali & Foreman took Young lightly because he had "no power" however he did have some natural abilities.
      Personally I couldn't stand watching him to me he was a bore and counter move/counter punch guys belong in 6 & 8 rounders so that their made to fight!
      Boxing on the move ala Ali is one thing and avoiding confrontations is another and thats not boxing.
      Ray

Comment

I guess he was ahead of his time, he sure knew when to tie his man up to avoid exchanges(I know one current fighter who probably watched him growing up) but again, that ducking into the ropes against Ali was disgraceful. It's a shame that most people seem to think young was robbed in that fight and not know the true story of that fight.

@Ray anybody who can hurt and even knock Foreman down has power.

Comment

Yeah he's heavy handed 10 KO's in 65 fights, a regular Mraciano.
          George probably saw a hamburger delivered at ringside and lost concentration!
          Ray.

Comment

And yet he still hurt and knocked down one of the best heavyweight chins ever. You should give credit when it's due, uncle Ray.

Comment

Heavyweights get hurt in almost every fight thats why their "heavy weights"!

George was not inspired to continue his contract and not to blame anyone
              for the out come of this "epic battle" he reired and didn't come back for 9 years! So did Jimmy Young retire Big George? Should he get credit for that?

Seriously, Jimmy Young should be lucky that George didn't get hungry during the bout!!! hmnnnnnnnn all gone!!!

Comment

Young was a very good fighter, with most of his losses coming early and late in his career.. In his "prime" he only lost to top guys in competitive fights..

I thought ali clearly beat him, foreman, no matter what version would always have problems with a mover like young..

People like to compare young to chris Byrd, due to their styles n size, but young was better than byrd..

Guys like young, lyles, etc is what made the 70s heavy divison great.. It had big name stars but also a lot of top notch contenders

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                  Young re-exposed Foreman. I just re-watched that fight. If you could move a bit, slip the haymakers and throw a good right hand, you could beat Foreman.
                  yea,,,but if george would have fought the way he did in his second career he'd have been close to unbeatable

Comment

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
                    And yet he still hurt and knocked down one of the best heavyweight chins ever. You should give credit when it's due, uncle Ray.
                    foreman was exhausted and dehydrated at that point tho

Comment

Working...
                    X