Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Deontay Wilder proving that skills do not matter in HW division

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing, counterpunching, sense of distance, using your reach...those are all boxing skills. Wilder’s power can make up for his flaws and mistakes but you don’t get to his level with no skill.

Comment

Wilder has a sh@t load of skills but he's so fkn powerful he doesn't need to go in the bag for new tricks. If he doesn't respect you, you are on a fast train to a concussive, twitching ko. If Wilder hits you clean, you go. Period. End of story. Nobody really wants that sleep. And Fury might be able to out box him for 12 but I wouldn't bet on it. Joshua better get paid before he fights Wilder because that's where this all ends.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
        I was listening to an interview between fight hype and Wilder and Wilder said something interesting. He said that, "In the Heavyweight division you don't need skills, all you need is power and that is something Good blessed me with." At first I laughed but I had to go back and look and he is not really lying. Take Foreman, Shavers, and Peter's for example. These guys weren't the most fundamental but they were still pretty successful. Foreman was known, back in the day, for being quite clumsy, yet he is ranked as a top ten HW of all time. Now, Wilder is very fundamentally flawed yet he has knocked out every opponent he has faced. Some are even considering him the favorite over Joshua. So, looking at Wilder's body of work would you agree that skills do not matter in HW division as much as it does in the lower divisions? Because if someone like Wilder was in the ww division they would've been got exposed.
        All those fighters were skilled just not compared to some others but you don't make it out of the novice ams without being VERY skilled.Wilder has a very good jab and a great st8 right.Power can make up for some lack of skill but trust me there ALL very skilled.And heavys have ALWAYS been the least skilled because of a lack of men that size who box compared to welter.

Comment

Fury, Joshua, Parker, and Ortiz are head and shoulders above Wilder. To put it bluntly Wilder is a bigger, faster, more powerful version of Indongo
          You're guaranteed to be disappointed in the Ortiz fight if you really think that. I can promise you that Ortiz will not only be easily out boxed but he will taste that canvas.

And if you don't think so , we can bet on it and I'll give you 2-1 points for as much as you want to bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
            Wilder has a sh@t load of skills but he's so fkn powerful he doesn't need to go in the bag for new tricks. If he doesn't respect you, you are on a fast train to a concussive, twitching ko. If Wilder hits you clean, you go. Period. End of story. Nobody really wants that sleep. And Fury might be able to out box him for 12 but I wouldn't bet on it. Joshua better get paid before he fights Wilder because that's where this all ends.
            Wilder is skilled as all top fighters but he better keep working on his skills because sooner than later power wont be enough.And I think he fights best when he dos have some respect his two best fights imo were with Stieverne and in 1st fight he was a top 5-10 heavy and Wilders was using that jab overtime which is the key to landing that great st8 right.

Comment

You're guaranteed to be disappointed in the Ortiz fight if you really think that. I can promise you that Ortiz will not only be easily out boxed but he will taste that canvas.

And if you don't think so , we can bet on it and I'll give you 2-1 points for as much as you want to bet.
              What are we getting? That Ortiz beats Wilder or Ortiz tastes the canvas?

Comment

Originally posted by john l View Post
                Wilder is skilled as all top fighters but he better keep working on his skills because sooner than later power wont be enough.And I think he fights best when he dos have some respect his two best fights imo were with Stieverne and in 1st fight he was a top 5-10 heavy and Wilders was using that jab overtime which is the key to landing that great st8 right.
                A bronze medal pedigree is more than enough skills to be the HW champ. Anyone who commits to out boxing him over 12 better be ready to hide that chin well for that whole 12 because at some point, it's getting tested.

Comment

What are we getting? That Ortiz beats Wilder or Ortiz tastes the canvas?
                  You win if Ortiz loses and doesn't get stopped and obviously you win if Ortiz wins in any fashion other than a DQ or something. Easy odds for you. And you pick any amount and you win twice as much as me if you win.

Comment

A bronze medal pedigree is more than enough skills to be the HW champ. Anyone who commits to out boxing him over 12 better be ready to hide that chin well for that whole 12 because at some point, it's getting tested.
                    Yea but he still better be working on his skills and more than just a great 1-2.Because somone WILL hide that chin long enough to test his.Hey I'm a fan of the guy but if you don't think there is a lot of room for improvement then I would suggest you watch some tapes of some good defensive fighters who can take away your best punch.

Comment

Originally posted by john l View Post
                      Yea but he still better be working on his skills and more than just a great 1-2.Because somone WILL hide that chin long enough to test his.Hey I'm a fan of the guy but if you don't think there is a lot of room for improvement then I would suggest you watch some tapes of some good defensive fighters who can take away your best punch.
                      Lol I've forgotten more about boxing than you know or ever knew. That response was funny to me. Say something when someone beats him and we'll talk again.

Comment

Working...
                      X