Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been thinking.. with all this (bs) talk about Boxing vs MMA...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been thinking.. with all this (bs) talk about Boxing vs MMA...

It is pro wrestling that actually needs to be concerned. I've never for a second bought the argument that MMA was going to take over boxing, and I think the backlash from the boxing purests is a bunch of crap. However, the pro wrestling people should maybe be concerned. Really, its largely been the pro wrestling fanbase the UFC's been going after, and with defections of superstars like Brock Lesnar, and perhaps Kurt Angle, from Pro Wrestling to MMA, it may be pro wrestling, if anything, that will suffer from the rise of MMA. I feel boxing is rathar safe (well, that is discounting all the self inflicted wounds), and people should stop hating on and flinging **** at MMA.

Originally posted by baserocks View Post
    It is pro wrestling that actually needs to be concerned. I've never for a second bought the argument that MMA was going to take over boxing, and I think the backlash from the boxing purests is a bunch of crap. However, the pro wrestling people should maybe be concerned. Really, its largely been the pro wrestling fanbase the UFC's been going after, and with defections of superstars like Brock Lesnar, and perhaps Kurt Angle, from Pro Wrestling to MMA, it may be pro wrestling, if anything, that will suffer from the rise of MMA. I feel boxing is rathar safe (well, that is discounting all the self inflicted wounds), and people should stop hating on and flinging **** at MMA.
    "Though many hardcore MMA fans hate the pro wrestling industry with a passion, the fact remains that MMA's audience overlaps much more with pro wrestling's audience than it does with boxing's.

It has been pro wrestling, not boxing, that has seen its United States PPV buyrates collapse as the UFC's PPV buyrates have increased. It is pro wrestling, not boxing, that shares a similar demographic breakdown with the UFC. The #1 demographic for boxing is people over the age of 50. The UFC doesn't draw particularly well among 35-to-49-year-olds, much less people over the age of 50."

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=3922&zoneid=3

Comment

Originally posted by mrpain81 View Post
      "Though many hardcore MMA fans hate the pro wrestling industry with a passion, the fact remains that MMA's audience overlaps much more with pro wrestling's audience than it does with boxing's.

It has been pro wrestling, not boxing, that has seen its United States PPV buyrates collapse as the UFC's PPV buyrates have increased. It is pro wrestling, not boxing, that shares a similar demographic breakdown with the UFC. The #1 demographic for boxing is people over the age of 50. The UFC doesn't draw particularly well among 35-to-49-year-olds, much less people over the age of 50."

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=3922&zoneid=3
      Interesting.. hadn't seen the real data on this, though i felt i was stating the obvious a bit. Point is, boxing purests need to calm the **** down.. though i think they're getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by baserocks View Post
        Interesting.. hadn't seen the real data on this, though i felt i was stating the obvious a bit. Point is, boxing purests need to calm the **** down.. though i think they're getting better.
        People on both sides have started to chill out, there is room for both sports.

Comment

Wrestling has it core that will never turn off and that core has helped them through the many years of Monday Night Football (About 1.1 million for TNA and 3 million for the WWE), so I don’t believe it’s in major nor will it ever be, but I do believe it’ll hit any plans to recreate the 11 million that was watching Monday Night Wrestling back in the late 90’s.

I don’t believe UFC hit the WWF PPV machine neither (buyrates) as you can account the noticeable drop in ppv buys a good year or two before UFC hit main stream. Big names leaving (Austin, Rock, Jericho), **** storylines (Katy Vick), no competition (Fall of WCW) and the rise of the Independent Feds (ROH, CZW) etc.

I do think it’ll hurt the recruitment of young talent though. 20 years ago, Billy Bob who had a terrific backround in roman Greco would turn to wrestling to pay the bills, today he can showcase his talent in a ring/cage….

(It’s kind of cool that early UFC used the same business structure as wrestling promotions and their 5 year plan was to have buyrates that were comparable to WCW/WWF/e. They did that with Tito/K Shamrock and now beat WWF by a margin every month now.)

Comment

The #1 demographic for boxing is people over the age of 50.

I have a hard time beliveing that.

Boxing and MMA are here to stay, nothing is going anywhere.

Comment

Working...
            X