No announcement yet.

Trivia: Ring Annual Ratings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    For question 2 do you mean P4P or divisional? That needs to be specified. Actually same goes for question 4.

With regards to 5, did Johnson win THE LHW championship? because wasn't Pastrano champ around that time?
    We're talking divisional - in the old days Ring didn't have an annual p4p list.

Johnson was first ranked in the Top-10 in 1949, then for most of the '50s, until he won part of the LHW title in '61... before finally becoming universally recognized in 1962. He lost the crown the following year to Willie Pastrano.

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
      We're talking divisional - in the old days Ring didn't have an annual p4p list.

Johnson was first ranked in the Top-10 in 1949, then for most of the '50s, until he won part of the LHW title in '61... before finally becoming universally recognized in 1962. He lost the crown the following year to Willie Pastrano.
      Yeah that's why I asked, because the ring have their first pfp list in 89.

Also didn't pestrano already hold the wba/WBC titles when he fought Johnson? How well regarded was the new York title at the time? I mean I could boxrec it as I'm just going off what I remember reading but more fun having a discussion.

Comment

2) Al Gainer

Comment

Yeah that's why I asked, because the ring have their first pfp list in 89.

Also didn't pestrano already hold the wba/WBC titles when he fought Johnson? How well regarded was the new York title at the time? I mean I could boxrec it as I'm just going off what I remember reading but more fun having a discussion.
          Pastrano had been a top boxer since the mid-50s, but the fight with Johnson was his first world title bout.

Back when New York was the center of the boxing world, being recognized as "world" champion by NYSAC meant at least as much, as being a title holder today with one of the "big four" organizations.

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
            2) Al Gainer
            Yes, you got it. Not an easy question... so well done!

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
              Pastrano had been a top boxer since the mid-50s, but the fight with Johnson was his first world title bout.

Back when New York was the center of the boxing world, being recognized as "world" champion by NYSAC meant at least as much, as being a title holder today with one of the "big four" organizations.
              I think the New York title had lost some of its sheen by that point in the 60s, then again the WBA was an offshoot of the NYSAC title if I'm not mistaken. But yeah Johnson did briefly hold claim to a 175 title.

Comment

I think the New York title had lost some of its sheen by that point in the 60s, then again the WBA was an offshoot of the NYSAC title if I'm not mistaken. But yeah Johnson did briefly hold claim to a 175 title.
                ^^^^ I was just about to post something similar, beat me to it.

Comment

The WBA is simply what used to be called the NBA (National Boxing Association), they changed name in 1962. WBC started as a new governing body in 1963.

Comment

I think i'm going to need some clues to get the final two.

Comment

Ok, a couple of clues for the last two:

1. We're looking for the son of a very famous HOFer.

4. Our man was in the year-end Top-10 for 11 consecutive years... and when he finally got his title shot, it was against a VERY famous HOFer.

Comment

Working...
                      X