Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie. Please Judge Video of My Heavy Bag Work.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie. Please Judge Video of My Heavy Bag Work.

Ok so I'm a boxing newbie, long time boxing fan but just recently decided to actually try out some boxing. Ive had no formal training at all so I'm aware that I likely don't know what I'm doing. for now Im just trying to teach myself how to work a heavy bag and stuff. Please watch my video and let me know some (many) of the things I need to work on and if there's actually any aspects that looks half way decent that would be nice to know too. Heres the link, you may have to copy and paste.

youtube.com/watch?v=9B-nacOKako&feature=youtu.be

PS please excuse the video as its a little blurry, I hope you still check it out please! Thanks!

keep the punches up, also turn more with your punches when you hit, don't throw with so much power just throw slower combinations so you can work on your technique, learn to pivot as well so your punches will get more power.

Comment

Thanks for the tips and really neat pic in your signature!

Comment

hit higher, its a better workout and more realistic. dont get so close to the bag where all you do is tap the bag instead of punching, extend your arms and move your hips when you punch, transfer your weight from one side to the other. you punch with your arms, that will not hurt anybody. and when you throw a left hook to the body or something make sure your right hand stays next to your chin. you keep dropping both your hands whenever you punch. in terms of defense dont lean into your opponent if you want to avoid a punch by ducking. at least keep both hands up if you do that otherwise you'll get knocked out. and work the heavy bag. if it swings right at you bob & weave to the left or right and then counter with a hook or something. watch some of the youtube videos of pro's like pacman or somebody like that, they are amazing on the bag.

im not an expert either im also learning and i do some of the things you do as well. just gotta pay more attention so you can get rid of those habits

Comment

Yeah I definitely want to get better at rotating my hips. I guess every once in while I'll get a nice rotation and I can feel it in the punch.

Comment

get a light ball (not medicine ball) and have it between your legs when you pivot...seriously it's a good practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Alx. View Post
              keep the punches up, also turn more with your punches when you hit, don't throw with so much power just throw slower combinations so you can work on your technique, learn to pivot as well so your punches will get more power.
              This is excellent advise.

Ok here is what I wanted to say and couldn't aticulate. When you hit the bag hard at an artificial distance, or trying to exert power...many times you hit it wrong...People often box the bag like it is an opponent yada yada, its not...its a bag....The way you get power is to practice so that naturally your body feels comfortable pivoting and extending enough on the punches to make the bag jump. This is why to initially "slow down" and "jump" the bag with combos will teach you to naturally generate power. As far as habits go its a good idea to keep the hands relaxed and in position because? To unlearn a bad habit like dropping the hands when throwing a hook (someone mentioned on the thread) will take you 4 times as long to UNLEARN than to simply make it a habit to have your guard up on the punch. Any bad habit is that way!! BOy I could tell yo stories about unlearning bad habits haha (palm slap)
              Last edited by billeau2; 05-14-2013, 08:34 AM. Reason: what I wanted to say

Comment

Working...
              X