Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

22% of Boxers are Gaining 10% of their Weight back from the Weigh In til Fight Night

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put a rehydratation clause in every fight and make anyone who can't make it pay a high percentage

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
      Nobody can order boxers to fight at a certain weight for their own good. That wouldn't work. I have follow boxing many years and I don't remember much if any problems with weight making or boxers gaining huge amounts of weight after the weigh in when the boxers weighed in about 8 hours before the fight. The trouble started when they changed the rules to weighing in about 32 hours before the fight. Then boxers started weighing in all weak, hungry and dry and gained back 10% or more of their body weight by fight time to try to outweigh their opponent in the ring. It's not healthy but they do it anyway. Some fans call them weight bullies but the are playing within today's rules and doing nothing wrong or illegal. What some fans don't understand is if they lose and then gain large amounts of weight they aren't bullying anybody and are actually harming themselves and increasing their chances of losing the fight.
      Nope. That isn't a solution, the whole reason why they changed it was due to brain injury and other complications caused by same day weigh ins. If you have been following boxing that long, surely you would know this?

Comment

Originally posted by .!WAR MIKEY! View Post
        Reason this is only a issue is because I 100% believe the fanbase/peoples/team etc of the guy who lost to the bigger man starts crying about it etc etc and making it an issue. Theirs advantages and disadvantages to coming in light or coming in heavy.
        Thats a naive take on this sport needed more safety measures all the time to keep up with advancements in our knowledge. Amateur wrestling has already taken upon new weight cutting procedures. Boxing & MMA lags behind as always.

Truth is right now we have the best system in place, theirs always gonna be those on the extreme end of both side of the spectrum etc etc its just the way it is, just the way life is.
        We always got the best system. Til we get the new best system. Its time for a new best system. Look at the history of this sport. We used to fight w/o gloves til someone couldn't fight any longer. Now we box 3 minute rounds for 4 to 12 rounds with gloves on & a ref will determine if you are fit to continue fighting at all times.

And I'll always contend the perfect system is no weight cutting at all, cuz weight cutting is dangerous & damaging to the body when you do everything right. Its among the dumbest thing pro boxers are doing to compete in this sport & everyone is doing it so its all crossing itself out to some degree any f#cking way lmfao.

The safest you can make things in the ring is to have guys be IN THE RING at the same weight & with a hydrated brain. This has NEVER been how boxing does thing for some reason that makes zero sense to me.

And the thing is even if you did that people are gonna get severely hurt & die in the ring cuz this sport is dangerous, but I bet when boxing finally does get a clue with this bs & take upon these guidelines, assuming they do, the severe injures & deaths in boxing will be at a all time low.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          This sh^t is nuts. And for sure a sport within a sport.

Apparently they are looking to find a way to stop this or lower the number of guys doing it in Cali today. CSAC's Andy Foster is a cat who's down for boxers/boxing like few other commissioners in the US that I'm aware of.

Anyone got any ideas or proposals that keep fighters as safe or safer, don't make things more dangerous & is reasonable without canceling fights on a days notice? LOL.

Not a easy task for them, but respect on them trying to figure it out.

Personally I still contend the healthiest, easiest way to get rid of all this bs is to kill the weight cutting/unnatural weight thing completely. I say when you get a boxing license you are determined to be a whateverweight fighter (or more to the point given a range of "healthy natural walking around weight" you can fight at) based on your natural body type, the healthiness of said body type (I'm pro-fat f#cks/obese boxers not being given a license to box at all as it makes the sport look like a joke & I don't believe most obese people to be fit to compete in a legitimate pro sport) & the use of various technology's we have like body fat percentages + gravity tests to determine hydration. Probably other things you could add onto those things, but I've not been following the upgrades made in the last 6+ months.

From there you just insure fighters stay within those "healthy weight" guidelines & fight others within their "healthy weight". If a guy excels at a weight & wishes to attempt to excel at a higher weight he can ask for special permission to be moved to a higher "healthy weight" range that includes the division above where he's allowed to fight now. If there are other changes made to a fighters weight that are deemed acceptedable he can ask for permission to move up or down in weight.

All in all people should be fighting at their natural weight & weighing in at their natural weight I say. Cut out all this fake bs about "making weight" that a guy is never gonna weigh on fight night. Its fake bs & f#cking stupid.
          This is a really difficult questions/task. I would say most of your suggestion are not feasible, and not realistic (no offence)

Weight has never really bothered me that much the way it does others. If you can get down to the weight, and rehydrate, be super strong, more power to you I say. The rules are the same for everyone. But for sure its not ideal from a competitive and safety standpoint.

The reality is, fighters will find a way to cheat or manipulate the system, whatever you do. Its like in F1, they come come up with aerodynamic rules, but the teams find a way to bend the rules and dabble in grey areas. Its the nature of the beast, and in sport in general.

I personally would just assign a rehydration limit for each weight class, which is done 2-3 hours before the fight. That way you ensure fighters are entering the ring the same, or very close in weight.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
            This is a really difficult questions/task. I would say most of your suggestion are not feasible, and not realistic (no offence)
            Most of this is done already in other sports so no clue whats not realistic. The part about giving a guy a "healthy weight limit to fight at" could be cuz I'm only spitballing on how one could go about coming upon that number which is something that may or may not work upon being put into use. So fair play with that part.

Weight has never really bothered me that much the way it does others. If you can get down to the weight, and rehydrate, be super strong, more power to you I say. The rules are the same for everyone. But for sure its not ideal from a competitive and safety standpoint.
            Doesn't bother me at all. But fighters are destroying their bodies doing this dumb sh^t is the thing. Plus it makes for unhealthy competitive advantages & disadvantages in the ring that could led to severe injures or death BECAUSE of those specific problems in a sport where you gotta worry about severe injures & death when everything is working perfectly. To me its about making the sport as safe as possible more than anything else. I give no f#cks who wins or loses cuz of weight bs.

The reality is, fighters will find a way to cheat or manipulate the system, whatever you do. Its like in F1, they come come up with aerodynamic rules, but the teams find a way to bend the rules and dabble in grey areas. Its the nature of the beast, and in sport in general.
            Sure, but you can & should always be fighting against that & not just give up cuz its hard.

I personally would just assign a rehydration limit for each weight class, which is done 2-3 hours before the fight. That way you ensure fighters are entering the ring the same, or very close in weight.
            The problems with most of the "fixes" like this & why I say ultimately the answer is no weight cutting at all is cuz you are reduced to canceling events at the last minute making the sport look bad & costing the people with money a nice chunk of money to be put in that position.

The simplest thing is for everyone to fight at their walking around weight & just staying away from a buffet or a bikini season weight loss situation in the days leading up to the fight so there aren't over weight or there urine gravity test doesn't go south if they dropped too much weight & f#ck up the fight. But even then if there was no weight cutting it would be easier to get a sub to so if a guy is ******ed before a fight & kills 10lbs of crab legs the night previous you can just call a random guy in the area or within a flight who's at his fighting weight at that exact moment cuz its his walking around weight.

Comment

Working...
            X