No announcement yet.

was joe calzaghe one of the best british boxers ever in your opinion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dantheman1983 View Post
    Are you forgetting his performances against Lacy and a prime undefeated Kessler?
    Lol, Froch is tailor made for Joe, Carl would get dominated
    Are you forgetting lacy was an unproven overhyped contender and by no means a measuring stick of success? only to the delusional was that a truly great win. And kessler was a good win thats the only prime fighter he actually beat.

Comment

Originally posted by TheUntouchable View Post
      What da fack, Froch doesn't even look like a boxer compared to Calzaghe. Some of his uppercuts were well timed, yes but Froch really wasn't a technical boxer. He lived off his physical and mental strength, size, power and chin.

People like him, I get that and I liked watching him, but he certainly isn't one to mention when you think of "best British boxers".

Calzaghe was great.
      Frochs strength is his unorthodox style will to win and iron chin. Heck jermain Taylor would of beat calzaghe and Froch produced a great ko at the end of that bout. Calzaghe was good I didn't say he wasn't but if you can't see he cherry picked his way through his career your blind he fought Peter manfedo Jr into his 30s ffs!

Comment

Yes, yes and more yeses.

Comment

Calzaghe is a British Boxing Legend no doubt, certainly one of, if not, THE best of my generation. Could have been greater if he fought the best in their prime. Alot of people discredit the Hopkins and Jones wins but the Hopkins win was actually a really good win when you consider that B-Hop still had enough in the tank to outclass fighters like Pavlik, Cloud and Pascal after he fought Joe. Would have loved to have seen the Froch fight, 2 completely different styles but i think Joe would have walked away with a UD in that one

Comment

Yes without doubt he was one of the best UK fighters ever, there's a decent argument he was the best period based on his achievements.

Originally posted by hotshot1 View Post
            did you enjoy his fights?
            There were other fighters I enjoyed watching more but I appreciated his technical ability and I probably view him with more appreciation now once the totality of his career can be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Switch Hitter93 View Post
              Frochs strength is his unorthodox style will to win and iron chin. Heck jermain Taylor would of beat calzaghe and Froch produced a great ko at the end of that bout. Calzaghe was good I didn't say he wasn't but if you can't see he cherry picked his way through his career your blind he fought Peter manfedo Jr into his 30s ffs!
              Who were Calzaghe's career misses?

Sven Ottke? They offered him a $1 million to fight in the UK, but he wanted it in Germany for less money. Fair enough, but Calzaghe would have wiped the floor with him and everyone knows it. Ottke went life and death with people Calzaghe easily outclassed for the most part.

Prime Roy Jones? Hard fight to make, there time in the same weight division didn't really align, Jones was at 175 from 96 on.

Younger Hopkins? Again Frank Warren offered him $4 million, and he turned it down.

As soon a champion came in and started making a name for himself Joe fought him in Lacy. Kessler than unified also and Joe fought him for all the belts.

He then went up and fought the ring magazine champion at 175lbs in Hopkins.

There aren't many glaring misses in Calzaghe's career. Just a lack of competition at 168lbs, which is hard to hold against him. Froch was too late on the scene and Eubank, Benn, and Collins too early. Calzaghe has been on the record many times saying he wishes he had been born 10 years earlier so he could have fought all those guys and made a tonne of money.

Comment

Originally posted by dantheman1983 View Post
                Are you forgetting his performances against Lacy and a prime undefeated Kessler?
                Lol, Froch is tailor made for Joe, Carl would get dominated
                im not.

but i keep forgetting whats supposed to be so impressive about it. I cant Think of a single win in the history of boxing that gets as overrated as clazaghes win over lacy. you are aware lacy never beat anyone? you are aware that every single time he fought a good opponent he got dominated? washed up roy jones dominated and stopped him, a slip saved him from being shut out in another one sided loss to Jermain Taylor. then he lost to another number of fighters not even worth remembering.

I know, i know.. Joe supposedly "ruined him". Ruined what? he never beat anyone. besides it was just one fight, he did take a beating, but the notion that one beating would take Everything out of a fighter in his mid 20's who hadn't had a tough fight in his life is a poor excuse.

As far as the "people said.." excuse. thats hype for you. how many fighters haven't been hyped to the skies only to get exposed throughout the years? Lacy belongs in the Audley Harrison, David Price, Fernando Guerrero category of pure hypejobs.

Kessler is a solid win, but he too was way overrated. it is a solid W. but nowhere near what people hype it up to be. Its no great win. Kessler was very one dimensional and flawed, he had a perfect style for froch and they seemed closer in ability than they really were. Even so he still lost both fights in reality. Just like he lost to all the good fighters he faced. Only beating guys like green, beyer, andrade and other C-class fighters.

stiff, no headmovement, flat footed, straight line fighter with **** defense, no inside fighting skills or ability to adapt.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
                  im not.

but i keep forgetting whats supposed to be so impressive about it. I cant Think of a single win in the history of boxing that gets as overrated as clazaghes win over lacy. you are aware lacy never beat anyone? you are aware that every single time he fought a good opponent he got dominated? washed up roy jones dominated and stopped him, a slip saved him from being shut out in another one sided loss to Jermain Taylor. then he lost to another number of fighters not even worth remembering.

I know, i know.. Joe supposedly "ruined him". Ruined what? he never beat anyone. besides it was just one fight, he did take a beating, but the notion that one beating would take Everything out of a fighter in his mid 20's who hadn't had a tough fight in his life is a poor excuse.

As far as the "people said.." excuse. thats hype for you. how many fighters haven't been hyped to the skies only to get exposed throughout the years? Lacy belongs in the Audley Harrison, David Price, Fernando Guerrero category of pure hypejobs.

Kessler is a solid win, but he too was way overrated. it is a solid W. but nowhere near what people hype it up to be. Its no great win. Kessler was very one dimensional and flawed, he had a perfect style for froch and they seemed closer in ability than they really were. Even so he still lost both fights in reality. Just like he lost to all the good fighters he faced. Only beating guys like green, beyer, andrade and other C-class fighters.

stiff, no headmovement, flat footed, straight line fighter with **** defense, no inside fighting skills or ability to adapt.
                  I think you need a look at the things Kessler did well, or his good attributes to really have an all round well thought out post, this comes across as biased.

Also disagree on Kessler-Froch I, close fight but Kessler in my opinion won that. He might have been the more gassed and physically damaged fighter by the end, but scoring is about how many 3 minutes you can win, I thought he won 7-5, and so did the judges and the majority of press row. But I agree that they are pretty evenly matched fighters. Is that a bad thing? Froch is a more than likely HOF'er.

Comment

Yes.

Him or Sven Ottke.

Comment

Yes x 10000000 and was underrated too

Comment

Working...
                      X