Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Erislandy Lara the best Cuban boxer of the last 10 years?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
    For me it would have to be Rigo, Lara since the Canelo fight hasn't fought anyone worth mentioning and in my opinion, has a couple of gift decisions.

I expect a lot of people to change their tune after Hurd stops Lara in April.
    Wow. I would have to disagree and argue that Lara has been screwed in the cards more often than getting a favorable nod in close fights. Hell even fights that aren't that close like Williams he's gotten the shaft. The Canelo fight was close and so was the Molina fight which I'm assuming is what you are referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
      For me it would have to be Rigo, Lara since the Canelo fight hasn't fought anyone worth mentioning and in my opinion, has a couple of gift decisions.

I expect a lot of people to change their tune after Hurd stops Lara in April.
      Would you change your opinion after Lara schools Hurd?

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
        Yeah, I thought he beat Canelo by a close margin, but Lara didn’t truly do enough to win that fight. He was the B-side to a young star. It was his big moment, and Lara fought like it was some amateur championship, like outpointing Canelo would be enough.

Looking back I'm starting to think Canelo might have been juiced out of his mind for that fight. He showed tremendous stamina while throwing with full power throughout that whole fight. You didn't see that in any of his fights prior to that.

Comment

He is the most constant

Comment

Originally posted by Santa_ View Post
            Looking back I'm starting to think Canelo might have been juiced out of his mind for that fight. He showed tremendous stamina while throwing with full power throughout that whole fight. You didn't see that in any of his fights prior to that.

I recently watched about half of a documentary called “Icarus” on Netflix. The early portion on the science and prevalence of PEDs in sports, especially in bicycle racing, which the doc focuses on, is very interesting. It’s pretty eye-opening shit, even if you’ve seen stuff like “Bigger, Faster, Stronger.”

I think Canelo was probably using PEDs prior to this latest bombshell; but I also believe he’s probably the norm, not the exception. The governing bodies are well aware of the pervasive use of PEDs in boxing, just like MLB owners were back in the baseball “steroid era.” They don’t care as long as the money keeps rolling in. They’re covering for Canelo now. Funny thing is, I don’t doubt at all if GGG is using PEDs as well. I think he’s just pretending to be offended. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
              I don't think he is that consistent. He has had some good performances and some poor ones. I thought Canelo deserved the win over Lara. He didn't look good against Molina or Angulo. He probably is the best Cuban pro boxer of the last 10 years because there haven't been many really good ones. I think his fight with Hurd is an even fight that either man has an equal chance to win. I don't think he is nearly as good as Mayweather. Mayweather was very consistent. He always won and he was never knocked down. He didn't run as much as Lara has done in some fights. Since losing to Canelo Lara has defended his title against very poor opposition. Hurd is the first real good fighter he has fought in a long time.
              I disagree. I think he won the fight against ginger but I was happy with the loss, because he could had done much better. molina was a late replacement and hugged his way to a draw. angulo was one of his best performance against all odds. He had a verbal warning the same day of the fight that he couldn't hydrate more than 10 lbs. while angulo never got the memo. Another thing was the ring, the smallest he had ever fought in. And afterwards he complained about the mat been slow. On top of that perro show up for the fight, he wanted to win. still Lara make him quit. Dorticos deserve a mention just like Ortiz. They are others like Neslan, Socarras and Ramon Luis that are very young but need a real promoter...

Comment

Originally posted by Santa_ View Post

You maybe right. he has never show that kind stamina before.

Comment

Originally posted by RA-Box View Post
                  He's the most consistent for sure.

I would say Richar Abril was the most Mayweather-esque style-wise, but I get what you mean.
                  Abril was a real defensive genious, but he was so boring he made Lara and rigo looked exciting, none of them would be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganondorf View Post
                    Wow. I would have to disagree and argue that Lara has been screwed in the cards more often than getting a favorable nod in close fights. Hell even fights that aren't that close like Williams he's gotten the shaft. The Canelo fight was close and so was the Molina fight which I'm assuming is what you are referring to.
                    Lara is boring but a very technical fighter. You enjoy the first few rounds and once he pulls ahead you know is over. molina is boring because he hugs like there is no tomorrow, he is always clinching, a very physical fighter. But elite fighters always find a way to win. If I recall correctly he was a late replacement and Lara/Shields didn't have the time to to prepare for the octopus. In any case I don't want to see those two in the ring again, against each other I meant...

Comment

Originally posted by satiev1 View Post
                      His best win is trout. Dosen't say much. He got dropped twice by a plodder in angulo and was in danger of losing the fight being down on the scorecards. He'll always come up short in the big fights.
                      angulo was a big puncher and has a least 20 lbs on fight night, Lara was told not to hydrate more than 10 pounds. They didn't say nothing to perro. The ring was a phone booth and the mat was made out memory foam. Still he make perro quit, that night angulo wanted to win and everything was in his favor. Except Lara didn't cooperate and yes he was dropped, but every time he went down he put a beating on angulo, perro won two rounds because of the KD, and he took a beating on those rounds too. His best win was a "loss", williams and he definitely beat ginger.

Comment

Working...
                      X