Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who ranks higher at 147 lbs: Jose Napoles or Sugar Ray Leonard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greeh View Post
    ...His wins over Benitez, Duran and Hearns are victories of the absolute highest magnitude...
    I regard his narrow loss to Duran a greater achievement that his victory. Don't get me wrong, I'm not placing a higher premium on a loss than a victory, I'm simply saying that Leonard was way more impressive in defeat. He stood toe-to-toe with a beast and was merely a knockdown short of winning, particularly following a shaky start. Sure he won the rematch, but all he did was get on his bike and taunt Duran into surrender.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
      I regard his narrow loss to Duran a greater achievement that his victory. Don't get me wrong, I'm not placing a higher premium on a loss than a victory, I'm simply saying that Leonard was way more impressive in defeat. He stood toe-to-toe with a beast and was merely a knockdown short of winning, particularly following a shaky start. Sure he won the rematch, but all he did was get on his bike and taunt Duran into surrender.
      Yeah, Srl showed a lot in his loss,, proved he wasn't just a pretty boy hype job.. Srl's performance in a loss is much better than most fighter's best win

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        Yeah, Srl showed a lot in his loss,, proved he wasn't just a pretty boy hype job.. Srl's performance in a loss is much better than most fighter's best win
        Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
        Spot on boys!

I remember watching an interview with Leonard some years back where he said that exact same thing, he didn't just want to be a pretty boy, he was pissed off at Duran claiming to be a real man so SRL wanted to show him who was boss. It didn't quite work out but Leonard showed Duran he had balls, possibly bigger balls considering the rematch.

Comment

That weight range tends to be packed with talent. So many guys who can fight well make it really something to distinguish oneself as a fighter in that range of weight classes. Leonard fought at a time when the division was particularly stacked! There was a cracking amateur program that made the Olympic fighters more than ready to become pro, or make a distinction as amateurs. Both sets of fighters were some of the best to ever walk the earth.

Leonard distinguished himself in both programs fighting at a time when these division particulalry bulged with talent. I give him the edge on this account.

Comment

I have Leonard ranked number 3 at welterweight and Napoles ranked at 6.

Comment

Leonard should be ranked higher.

Comment

Leonard, though debatable.

Comment

Is this a joke?

Comment

Napoles is always overrated and would be lucky to make the AT top 10 welters.

Comment

I would rate Leonard slightly higher. His rematch with Duran was on very short notice, when his people got word that Duran had packed on 40+ pounds after their fight and was partying like a rock star, Duran was given short notice to prepare for the rematch and nearly ruined himself trying to make weight. Otherwise, Leonard's wins over Hearns and Benitez rank higher than Napoles wins over Griffith and Cokes, but not by a wide margin. Griffith and Cokes were great fighters.

Comment

Working...
                      X