Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pernell Whitaker, best in the past 30 years?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great fighter died too young.

Comment

Definitely the greatest defensive boxer of the last 30+ years. An argument can be made for top 5 in the last 30 years overall.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
        The Pea was one of a handful and yes he got robbed. I don't like labels like the best, but if we take a category of the best fighters he belongs in it. One of my favorites. Exposed Chavez imo.
        - -Chav already 87-0 at that time had already sent out warning flags. Pea never got halfway there.

You 'sposed yerself not knowing every fighter takes a downturn eventually. Had pea clowned less he would've won. More interested in being a clown that won him a new legion of nontraditional fans.

Damn shame to be wiped out by a car, but at least there will be an investigation and hopefully closure.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
          Definitely the greatest defensive boxer of the last 30+ years. An argument can be made for top 5 in the last 30 years overall.
          Pretty much. Top 5 sounds right.

I'd put Mayweather first among defensive boxers, closely followed by Sweet Pea.

Overall, I'd put Mayweather and Pacqauio as the top 2 fighters since Leonard, with Sweet Pea in the top 5 somewhere.

Comment

He is not the best, but one of the best boxers of all time. Probably the best defensive boxer, probably the slickest.
            He was an inspiration for almost every defensive boxer past '90.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
              - -Chav already 87-0 at that time had already sent out warning flags. Pea never got halfway there.

You 'sposed yerself not knowing every fighter takes a downturn eventually. Had pea clowned less he would've won. More interested in being a clown that won him a new legion of nontraditional fans.

Damn shame to be wiped out by a car, but at least there will be an investigation and hopefully closure.
              Pea didn't just beat Chavez he exposed him. Made him look like an Amateur. Excuses excuses excuses, its all in tape and people can xplain away... Plain to see as night and day.

One can make excuses for Chavez until the cows come home. Seldom do two fighters meet prime to prime. and if Chavez has just lost a step and maybe lost a close fight...but no, it wasnt even close.

Comment

In my opinion Whitaker won a close fight against Chavez

Comment

I’d Probably put him 4th below Roy, Floyd and Manny.

R.I.P champ.

Comment

definitely top 10. not sure he gets in the top 5 tho. still a fantastic talent

Comment

He took one he couldn't dodge. It may have been from a Dodge.

Comment

Working...
                      X