Langford vs Schmeling

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
    Well said.

But I'd say my sisters were more ferocious than almost any kid I ever Wrestled with or coached, and almost any dog I trained. I am glad I don't have to live in the same state as them.
    Thats just it though!! Women have a place for that...the trick is to reach it and have it accesible. How many women do you know, who if confronted by someone intending them harm would have one response...and if this same attacker laughed at them and told them graphically what they would do to their kid...would have another totally different response?

As a bouncer the worse situations often involved women...One small woman had a hissy fit, literally ripped the podium out of the wall... a lot of stuff like that.

My babysitters growing up as a kid were like your sisters that way lol! they were also beautiful...One of them had a ****er spaniel and she would use that opportunity to carry one of these metal chain dog leashes you used to see (usually with choker coller for big dogs lol) and taught me how to use it if someone bothered me. I had my dog so I actually learned how to use the leash as a knuckle duster, a weapon of length, etc from a drop dead gorgeous Hungarian American New York, raised Catholic school girl. She was smart as a whip also lol, mother was a doctor. And when she laid the law down, you listened.... My other babysitter was pretty similar in most respects...She would use these bracelets if she felt threatened... They all had a drive and means to protect when needed.

See when I see these bald punks on Youtube...they got into MMA because it is the flavor these days, they surround themselves with these docile women who are glad to play along with their take on women and defending themselves...It really pisses me off. the women I grew up with were not wall flowers! They could fight to start with. Most women in my neighborhood had been "bothered" or "attacked" in some fashion. They were fighters... Maybe not like getting in a ring, but fighters when necessary. Attitude is everything! Technique embellishes attitude.

F u c k man I don't even KNOW women like that. My wife is 120 pounds soaking wet and could be viscious in a heartbeat. my sisters, while not tough like that, were trained to work together with me, their big brother, to make sure we all got home in one piece, in our hood growing up... As kids they saw me in some bad situations...But we made it. Then I see these guys with maybe 10 years of MMA, attacking women for self defense techniques...They have no clue and it drives me nuts.
    Last edited by billeau2; 11-09-2019, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
      The way I see it, Sam was a little bigger, and Stribling was a little more refined. Sam went around starching bigger men than himself, but was effectively a Heavyweight, too. Stribling topped out as a Light Heavyweight. But the division had entered the modern era. Apparently, Tunney ducked him. Loughran had recently defeated Greb when he first lost to Stribling. Delaney, Slattery, Rosenbloom, Levinsky, McTigue, Risko - all scalps that hung from Stribling's mantle.

Langford never shared the ring with man as good as one of them, let alone scored a win. (He certainly lost to far worse). And needed considerable size/age advantage to pull off his greatest wins. He also needed more time in the ring to rack up his record - unlike Stribling who died entering into his prime.

Langford tells a better story for the modern audience. And for people who don't understand martial arts, it's more impressive watching him wail away on oversized and overmatching opponents.
      I think you are correct about the schism between the eras. The technical points, the skills related to using them I would have to disagree. All great fighters IMO.

Comment

Working...
      X