What we know about Haymon complete summary

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
    Do you think the article was necessary?
    How do you mean? I mean 99.9% of books, articles, forum posts & writing in general isn't necessary I think one could easily argue. Love or hate Hauser he's free to write what he wants to write, Ring is free to pay guys for writing they deem worthy of their magazine/website & we are all free to read or not read anything either of those parties writes or puts out.

Comment

Do you think the article was necessary?
      Sure because some people don't really have time to follow all this stuff and finding it all spread out would be a pain. So bringing it all into one place can be useful.

To people who have been following it all along no it was not needed really.

Comment

Thats what he did with the USADA article too. Thats Hauser's style I think lol. Google some **** then gloss it up with some fancier words & get long winded about ****. If I knew the difference between then & than Hauser would give me hope I could be a writer. Although I did notice there was a bunch of spelling errors (Sean Porter) & one or two date errors in there so maybe that doesn't even matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          How do you mean? I mean 99.9% of books, articles, forum posts & writing in general isn't necessary I think one could easily argue. Love or hate Hauser he's free to write what he wants to write, Ring is free to pay guys for writing they deem worthy of their magazine/website & we are all free to read or not read anything either of those parties writes or puts out.
          Hauser writes two, maybe three long pieces like this a year. He did one on Haymon and one on Floyd last year. Was it necessary for him to do another one on Haymon when there is nothing new to report? This article basically quoted 4 different articles that are already the 4 most quoted when talking about PBC. With the access he has at HBO and nobody writing about what's going on at HBO and their budget, would that had a been a more necessary story? Fans are wondering why Loma-Walters only getting offered $1mil. Crawford going to PPV. Cotto-Kirkland going to be on PPV. Herschman and Taffert leaving and Nelson's former job still not filled. There is way more going on at HBO than PBC.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            Thats what he did with the USADA article too. Thats Hauser's style I think lol. Google some **** then gloss it up with some fancier words & get long winded about ****. If I knew the difference between then & than Hauser would give me hope I could be a writer. Although I did notice there was a bunch of spelling errors (Sean Porter) & one or two date errors in there so maybe that doesn't even matter.
            That's what he seems to do when it comes to Floyd and Haymon/PBC. His articles on HBO and the early formation of Golden Boy are all original classics.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
              Sure because some people don't really have time to follow all this stuff and finding it all spread out would be a pain. So bringing it all into one place can be useful.

To people who have been following it all along no it was not needed really.
              But it's not in one place it's in five different articles. And once you start reading the articles you're going to go read the other articles he's quoting.

Comment

Comment

There wasn't much here, certainly not to justify this being a 5-part series...but I'm sure Ring website probably got a lot more traffic this week than usual which is probably why they did it.

As for what little there was in Part 5, there were a few small items:

Rafael says that Haymon’s contract with NBC and his contract with ESPN called for him to pay each network in advance on a yearly basis ($20 million per year for NBC and $8 million per year for ESPN) but, when Haymon closed a deal with Fox Sports 1 in mid-2015, it called for monthly payments and he declined to give them a letter of credit for the full amount.
                  PBC is also cutting back on TV production expenses. The staging has become less elaborate. Fewer people are traveling to the shows. Less money is being spent on on-air talent than at the start.
                  Multiple sources say that Haymon tried to make a title unification bout between Wilder and Martin but the WBC refused to release Wilder from his obligation to fight mandatory challenger Alexander Povetkin. Then, in a further effort to protect Wilder, an overture was made to Team Povetkin to see if the Russian would fight Martin instead but the Povetkin camp said no.

Comment

Not impressed but whatever. It was kind of cool to hear from his old college roomate, but not significant.

One interesting note was NBC & ESPN requesting monthly payments for the time-buys once Haymon included FOX, and Haymon declining to go along.

My biggest issue with Haymon/PBC, he wasted the money more focused on blocking out competitors rather than developing names/following for certain fighters. He planned quantity over quality.

Spreading out the fights over different channels and different times didn't grow any demand/interest, more so it just saturated and depressed existing interest. He should've stayed on 1 or 2 channels, regular weekly times slots, and focused on far fewer fighters with atleast an illusion that those fighters would be on a collision course with one another. For example right now, guys like Garcia, Broner, and Thurman all exist in alternate universes. The 'innovative' bells & whistles were not only an annoying distraction, but turns out a costly waste.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                      He lost me when he started talking about what kind of food Haymon likes to eat.
                      Wait, what? That was actually a thing?

Comment

Working...
                      X