No announcement yet.

rank higher wlad or lennox lewis?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
    Nah. Vitali had been mandatory for 2 years. Lummox did everything he could to a word the fight. Then a sudden unexpected cancellation of a fight gave lommux the chance to get Vitali out of the way thinking that there’d be no way Vitali would accept a fight for the biggest title in sports on just 10 days notice but he did.

So an underprepared Vitali beat up lummox who just got a lucky break with the unfortunate cuts. Oh well. Lummox knew he wouldn’t win a rematch and retired.
    Before Wlad lost to Sanders, he was heir apparent to Lennox. Vitali kind of took the reigns when he finally got his shot and took full advantage of it. The fact that he was mandatory for the WBC title didn't effect the overall feeling of the HW landscape. Wlad was the golden child before Vitali, even though he was younger because big V lost to Byrd. (fluke)

Comment

• Originally posted by jmrf4435 View Post
      I don't think wlad was ever KO;d in his prime though
      Did you miss the Lamon Brewster and Corrie Sanders fight?

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
        See that's where we differ in opinion. Everyone thought he should fight Wladimir before he faced Vitali but after that fight, everyone knew Vitali got the better of LL and he needed to 'prove' that he could beat him without winning by lucky cut in a fight that he was losing 2 to 1 at the time of stoppage.
        I recall well the appetite for a rematch and I've no doubt that Lewis was torn between putting it on the line again or calling it a day. He decided upon the latter and only he will know how much that decision was based on fear of losing to Vitali or perhaps simply a realisation that time was quickly catching up with him as it does to every boxer eventually.

Ultimately it's largely irrelevant. What is beyond doubt is that he did step in the ring with Klitschko, weathered significant punishment and came back with shots of his own including the one which caused the fateful cut. He made his own luck in other words which is often how fights are resolved.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
          Before Wlad lost to Sanders, he was heir apparent to Lennox. Vitali kind of took the reigns when he finally got his shot and took full advantage of it. The fact that he was mandatory for the WBC title didn't effect the overall feeling of the HW landscape. Wlad was the golden child before Vitali, even though he was younger because big V lost to Byrd. (fluke)
          True. It was always Wladimir back then. Until his chin was found wanting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Holler View Post
            Just as an aside, why call him 'Lummox'? Whatever your opinion of the relative merits of Lewis in comparison to Wlad or any other heavyweight, the guy won Olympic Gold and was undisputed champion of the world. Surely worth at least a basic level of respect that you'd accord anyone brave enough to put it on the line in the ring?
            Wladimir won gold as well.

But yes Lewis craves respect. Lummox is just for fun. Like Grabimir Clinchko or Shjitali Quitschko.

Comment

• Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
              Did you miss the Lamon Brewster and Corrie Sanders fight?
              HIs 11 year titel run was his prime...................................should be obvious.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmrf4435 View Post
                HIs 11 year titel run was his prime...................................should be obvious.
                His prime is him trying to be a Lennox Lewis clone. But he didn't have tools to fight multiple ways like Lewis and turned in to a jab and grab robot.

Look at the Fury fight. When his usual tactics weren't working he had **** all to switch it up to.
                Last edited by Robbie Barrett; 12-06-2017, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• Lewis by a wayz

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    Lewis. He beat the better comp and fought in the better era. Wlad slides into the tenth spot for me based on his longevity and dominance, but Lewis beat the far superior fighters and ranks between five and seven for me though it's been a few years since I've done my list.
                    Yeah I am more or less in agreement with this. Realistically you can make a case for Wlad anywhere in the back half of the top 10, up to 15.

I personally had him around 10-12 range. Great career, and actually if you read the interview I posted with Manny Steward, I think he encapsulates Wlads strengths perfectly, and hints that he would have been live against any heavyweight in history. I do feel that chin would have got him found out against some of the heavy hitters though.

Comment

• Their styles are exact the same if you ask me. Measuring bridging lead hand and killer diver right. Lead hooks here and there. No body punches. Same body type. Rooted feet.
                      I called it Lewis bcz he has more fights to still give chills.

Comment

Working...
                      X