No announcement yet.

Repair or Replace?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair or Replace?

My XBox360 broke. red ring of death, four of them. is it worth getting it fixed or should i replace it entirely?

a guy told me these things break easily when they get old and i might as well buy a new one rather than get it repaired. said it doesnt cost much more and will last much longer than having an old console thats been repaired already. what do you think?

also if i do buy another one whats smarter, a used console or one thats brand new? again its the same dilemma, a brand new one i figure should last longer but a used console is cheaper. is a used console just as good and ill save some money or will a store bought 360 make up for it in longevity and warranty?

what would you do?

Get a PS3

Comment

Buy a new one, the new model doesn't have the RROD problem and you can buy a basic model and use your old HDD so it shouldn't cost the earth. You can get a new 4GB one for $200 or a refurbished old one with a 20GB drive for even less, about $130.

Comment

The new black one doesn't red ring. Problem is is that the new x box is due out next year at the latest. If I were you, I'd fix the 1 I have myself. It isn't hard. If you pop it open & remove all the stuff in the way you have 2 x clips holding down the heat sink, those x clips aren't worth $h!t & when the board get hot, they warp. All you need are some rubber washers & the compound & some small screws & you can repair that $h!t yourself for under 15 bucks.

I'd you tube it. It really isn't hard to fix.
        Last edited by Bushbaby; 08-13-2012, 06:34 AM.

Comment

If you already have a ton of games and hardware invested in that you want to continue playing then buy one of the new small ones, they dont overheat like the old ones.

If you dont have that much stuff and dont have a blueray player then consider a ps3.

Comment

Buy a new slim one, they're RROD proof. The only problem you'll have is the hard drive if you have all of your saves on an older model - The hard drives from the older 360s aren't compatible with the new slim model, so you'd need to get a new HD.

Comment

None of the new ones have the rrod or the ylod.... Either way the new units are solid... I went PS3 after 4 360s.... Love it.

Comment

Repair your Xbox, I have a trick that is similar to the towel trick, but its only a temporary fix, will work for a month or two, then you'll have to do it again, eventually you'll have to do the xclamp fix and I have one xclamped xbox that is doing fine, and one that dies consistantly.

But repair your xbox, then wait for a black friday sale, I got the new x box with 2 games, 200gig hd, 3 months of xbox live, and a $50 fred meyer gift certificate, all for $200.00, so essentially 2 games 49.95 each, 3 months of live $27. $50 gift cert, plus the 200gig mem versus the 8 gig.

Basically Free xbox with purchase of accessories.
                So repair your old one and limp it along until november 25th or so.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                  Buy a new slim one, they're RROD proof. The only problem you'll have is the hard drive if you have all of your saves on an older model - The hard drives from the older 360s aren't compatible with the new slim model, so you'd need to get a new HD.
                  You're right they are rrod proof only because the changed it to a dot. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
                    You're right they are rrod proof only because the changed it to a dot. LOL
                    The red dot you speak of occurs when the hard drive is not properly inserted. It's not a hardware malfunction or console failure of any sort and is easily fixed by a quick reinsertion of the drive.

In rare cases you get a red dot due to insufficient ventilation (if you're a ****** and cover the vent) in which case the console protects itself from overheating by turning itself off.

Comment

Working...
                    X